Thermos Newly Keeps Escaping Outside

houghj3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With summer here Thermos now keeps escaping our ground level apartment pretty regularly in the last week always between 9-11:30 PM.

We have three cats, and have started putting the litter box on the patio. My Girlfriends two cats are used to this and live in fear of the outdoors past the patio. The cats got introduced in January and after a rocky week everything has been going fine. Thermos used to live with me alone and never went outside, due to my living arrangements. I don't know much about her history though, as I found her crated up beside a dumpster bin with other cats in a separate crate.

The obvious solution is too bring the litter box back in, I guess. Just looking to see if anyone had any other advice or suggestions.

Thermos is Female, the other two Males. All fixed. The odd little fight but they seem to all get along. Thermos never goes far, just a two spots about 15 feet away from the apartment.

Thanks,
Jason

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep Thermos in if at all possible, especially before she makes this a habit. It only takes one big dog passing by to chase them off the patio and for tragedy to happen. I've lost too many to the outdoors, but I also know some cats would rather have a shorter life than be penned up. You might try getting a big crate or pen outside so she can get a little taste without being free. Those chicken coops are nice. Or somehow build the patio in, my husband is doing that right now to keep ours safe.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... poor baby being left in a crate by a dumpster, like someone's trash. :frown: She's so lucky you found her. :hearthrob:

I like di and bob di and bob 's suggestion of putting the litter box in a big crate on the patio. Or better yet, enclosing the patio into a catio.

How do the cats get from the apartment to the patio? Is there a cat flap?

Many years ago, my family lost a darling cat who loved going outside when he got hit by a car. He wasn't even one year old when it happened. It was a horrible thing to experience, so I highly recommend keeping cats inside, if possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

houghj3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have watched her over the last week, and I just think Thermos is happier being able to leave and come back as She pleases. She jumps off our 2nd floor balcony and is able to jump back in. I work nights so, yesterday Thermos left around 8 PM and jumped back up at about 4:30 while I was watching TV (night off).

Her getting hurt is risk I am somewhat prepared for as I think it makes her happier to roam around.

I was considering getting a Tag that indicated Thermos was an Outdoor Cat who knew how to get Home. Does that make sense?

Options, I can Re-home Thermos (not my favorite option), lock Her indoors (seems unfair now, she always tried to get out of my 11th floor apartment), or get Tags indicating She's an Outdoor Cat and buy a GPS tracker in case.

This is very new to me, but I also don't want to just re-home Thermos we have a strong bond (I think).

Thanks Everyone,

This site has been a great help, as I had never been a Cat Carer until Thermos.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise