There's Been Improvement, But I Need Advice!

MeganMoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Me again. Not quite as panicked and teary this time, we've been making steady progresses with both Sasha and Chloe, I think. They're still not remotely getting along, but our exposure therapy has gotten more aggressive since my last post. The hissing and growling doesn't concern us so much anymore, but there's this one awful scream that Chloe does that I don't know how to deal with.

Quick summary: Sasha is approx. 4 1/2 months old, and booked for spay soon. Chloe is our 9 year old resident cat. We have been at this since the beginning of January, about 2 and 1/2 months. Sasha is pretty much completely unafraid, but she is usually pretty good about standing down and being submissive when Chloe gets vocal with her. For, uh, about a minute at least before she charges for her again. Chloe, on the other hand, seems quite fearful. She is vocal, hisses, growls, and shrieks when Sasha moves anywhere in her direction. She also charges for cover (usually under my parents bed or under the computer desk on our top floor). We don't necessarily like that she hides, but she does (eventually) come out later on. Typically she only comes out when Sasha has been returned to the safe room, though.

So, basically, everyone including our vet said it is time for us to show the cats that this is the New Normal, and let them out in the same spaces at the same time (supervised). We have tried really hard to take that to heart. Previously we were following the Jackson Galaxy notion of cat introduction, feeding through a door, site swapping frequently, play in the general vicinity. Perhaps that was just too conservative for my resident cat's personality?

4am is a frustrating time, almost every night without fail, I get woken up by the two of them scrapping it out through the safe room door. I'm not sure who is lunging into it or what but Chloe growls and it makes Sasha meow-cry and no one is sleeping through that.

Anyway, more specifically, what am I supposed to do with this horrible screaming sound that Chloe does when Sasha is around? It's absolutely horrible, I've never heard a cat make that sound. It's not every single time either, I've been trying to catch an audio of what it sounds like to post so you guys can advise more accurately, but I've been unsuccessful so far. And what about the running and hiding? I'm glad there's no fur flying, clawing, or bloodshed, but I don't think one of my cats sounding absolutely terrorized is fantastic either.

My vet suggested that we shouldn't scold Chloe for making the sounds that establish her as the Boss. To me, that means hissing and growling. Like I said, we are getting used to those sounds just being a part of a multi-cat household. But this awful SCREAM is just terrible.

It is worth mentioning that she is generally back to her affectionate regular self after Sasha goes back to her safe room. She comes to be pet, she chases her tail and plays like normal, she is still eating, and she is still using her litter regularly.

Does anyone have any advice about this? What can I do next? Why does it seem like everyone in the world can introduce their cats to each other but me? I feel like we're making good progress and I don't want to rush things, but I just feel like I need sage wisdom from people who have done all of this before.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an idea what the scream is like, and it's sudden, loud, piercing, and makes your heart practice attempting cardiac arrest because you're sure a cat is injured terribly.
I don't have much to offer because we have had girls in our house that did this. Eventually, the other cat (non-screamer) ignored the screamer (also named Chloe!) and the screamer realized they had no reason to scream anymore and it fizzled out. (That's a lot of "scream" in one sentence, LOL!)
At 4 months old, Sasha probably thinks this is a big game and has no ill intent.
I wouldn't scold Chloe either. Even if it's just a gentle reminder for her to simmer down, it's adding to her stress perhaps being scolded for trying to work things out. (Not being judgmental, just agreeing with your vet from my own mistakes!) I don't think cats learn as much from a scolding as a dog does; it's not an issue of smarts or intelligence, just difference in species, domestication level and instincts.
For the boxing match, is there any way to barricade the door on one side to prevent nose-to-nose at the door? My girls that sleep side by side and eat side by side in harmony still do this boxing thing, they slap at one another but have never done harm.
Truthfully, I think you're doing fine but understand your frustrations.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't act on anything until you get her spayed. The scream? Ignore it. Chances are she is screaming for your attention. If they wake you up, lock both cats up in different rooms so they will quit playing under the door. Yes I'm the cranky mom when cats disturb my sleep ;) This all seems a bit unusual since most cats seem to tolerate kittens after an initial introduction period.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganMoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
danteshuman, I thought it was weird too honestly, everyone says that kittens are way easier to introduce to an adult cat. I don't know, maybe we kept them apart too much when she was still really small? She was just so little, I was worried about them getting away from me and Chloe getting aggressive. We haven't known her to be a violent cat, but I didn't want to make assumptions about what she WOULD or WOULDN'T do, I was hung up on the Could.

I'm glad it sounds like we're on the right track for this, anyway. I can keep it up for several more months, honestly, I just get so stressed out when we have them both roaming and I'm trying to keep track of them haha. Cats and their natural desire to hide under stuff makes it hard for me to separate them if the need ever arises!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...there's this one awful scream that Chloe does that I don't know how to deal with.
Do you mean like this?

Some people call that "caterwauling."
It's mostly a normal cat noise.

Here's the story about this video:
I was sitting upstairs, alone, one summer night and I had the patio door open to get some fresh air in the house when I heard growling, hissing and caterwauling downstairs. I rarely ever heard Casper make even the tiniest noise so I didn't even consider that it was Casper making such a racket.

When I heard all this commotion, I practically peed my pants! :O

I ran downstairs and saw Casper hunched down by the patio door but couldn't find anything outside. I went outside, stomped around on the back porch, hollered and made a commotion to scare away any critters that might have been hanging around, causing trouble.

The next night, the same thing happened. I thought it must have been an opossum or a raccoon or something. I just couldn't believe it was Casper. Again, I went outside and found nothing.

On the third night, I set up a video camera and left it running all night and this is what it recorded.
I was relieved to find out that it was just another cat coming up on our patio, making Casper get all riled up.

Until that night, I never would have considered that such a sweet, quiet cat like Casper would have made a noise like that!

It looks like our boy, Casper, has some whoop-ass in him! ;)

Bottom line is that even the calmest cats can make some really scary noises but, depending on the situation, it's mostly normal.

MeganMoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
YES! That is almost precisely the sound we keep getting from Chloe, it's just horrible! I've never owned two cats at the same time before and Chloe has always been exclusively an indoor cat so I've never heard her make this sound before! I guess it's basically an extreme warning? The good news is that Sasha stops dead in her tracks when the sound is made, and only goes to chase more when Chloe turns to move away. I know "chase" is a fun cat game and Sasha likely doesn't know that Chloe is EXTREMELY uninterested in playing with her yet, but it makes me so nervous to hear Chloe caterwaul like that. Just another sound I'll have to get used to, I guess, until they're getting along better.

Is there anything that I should do when I hear that sound? We do our best to keep Sasha playing with us when she and Chloe are in the same room, but Sasha wants to play with her so bad it can be hard to keep her focused & I don't know if I should be physically separating them at such a high stress sound.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just do like I did... go in and make sure everything is all right, talk nice and calm them down a bit.

Pet them a little bit if they are of the mind to be petted but, unless the fur actually flies, leave them alone.

Cats that are new to each other need to be left to their own devices in order to establish a pecking order and learn each other's limits before they can become friends.

If you step in too quickly you will interrupt the process and they will take a lot longer for them to become friends.

It’s scary to hear them make such a racket but, in reality, it’s just how “Cat Politcs” works.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any experience with fighting cats, so I'm just guessing here, but I do think part of the issue is the age difference. Chloe is a mature older lady, and Sasha is a little girl nearing puberty. Hopefully once Sasha is spayed, things will improve, as there may be a hormonal thing going on.

You've probably already read everything you could find on cat fights, but in case you missed it, here's a TCS article on How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight and another on The Multi-cat Household

MeganMoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome, thanks for the advice everyone!

This morning we let Chloe see that Sasha was coming out of her room and then let them go where they wanted. We waited for them to encounter each other, and then sat in the room at a distance while the hissing and growling and snarling went on.

Eventually, Sasha presumably got tired of being yelled at and left the room of her own volition to do something fun. I stayed with Chloe and talked nice to her for a bit and she calmed down.

Sasha has come in again a few times and there's more growling and hissing, but I try to distract her with some toys so she doesn't get too brave and jump into Chloe's face. I think this is positive? Chloe is hiding on a chair under our dining room table, and her pupils are huge, but she's making herself comfortable and lying down? No caterwauling so far today, but it is still early

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YES! That is almost precisely the sound we keep getting from Chloe, it's just horrible! I've never owned two cats at the same time before and Chloe has always been exclusively an indoor cat so I've never heard her make this sound before! I guess it's basically an extreme warning? The good news is that Sasha stops dead in her tracks when the sound is made, and only goes to chase more when Chloe turns to move away. I know "chase" is a fun cat game and Sasha likely doesn't know that Chloe is EXTREMELY uninterested in playing with her yet, but it makes me so nervous to hear Chloe caterwaul like that. Just another sound I'll have to get used to, I guess, until they're getting along better.

Is there anything that I should do when I hear that sound? We do our best to keep Sasha playing with us when she and Chloe are in the same room, but Sasha wants to play with her so bad it can be hard to keep her focused & I don't know if I should be physically separating them at such a high stress sound.
We get the same reaction out of one of our girls whenever cat-sized or larger-than (wildlife) happens upon our patio, she hunches down by the door and screams/smacks the door.

MeganMoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's just terrible haha!

For the last couple days as soon as we let Sasha out of her room, Chloe hunkers down under the dining room table and defends that space like crazy. Sasha comes in, gets yelled at, and eventually leaves. Is this good? I feel badly that Chloe spends so much time hiding. We're trying to keep Sasha from sneaking up on her at least so there's no violent lashing out due to surprise. So far no one has been hurt, though. Chloe raises a leg and rushes towards her, but she's never made contact yet? Baby steps and deep breaths for us at my place today :hellocomputer: