Theres a POSSUM in my house! Help!

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just a little tid bit....possums CAN NOT carry rabies. I learned this last year at the vet office when we had a dog come in biten by one. The vet was not sure about the rabies possibility so we looked it up and because a possums core body temp. is so low it prevents it from being able to carry rabies.

We did however booster the dogs rabies shot just to be on the safe side.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh you poor girl!!

We had possums that used to frequent the feral cat food stations for years. Sometimes the cats would eat side by side with them and sometimes that cats would sit back and wait for the possum to finish. Possums do like dry cat food so if you get your hands on a live trap, you could use that as bait.

Have you thought of where you are going to relocate it when you trap it? They will come back again and again if you don't move them.

If you call animal control, they will most likely destroy it. Not that I like possums, but I also don't think they deserve to die. They have their place in the world also!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a park near by with woods...I was thinking about letting it go there. That is why I am afraid to call animal control...but if it gets out that is what I am going to have to do....I don't want a pet possum.
I am hoping the trap works. (and hoping my dad gets it here soooooon lol).

I'm just so glad that its a possum and not a raccoon.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FootersOwnsMe

just a little tid bit....possums CAN NOT carry rabies. I learned this last year at the vet office when we had a dog come in biten by one. The vet was not sure about the rabies possibility so we looked it up and because a possums core body temp. is so low it prevents it from being able to carry rabies.

Wasn't sure if someone would point that out.

When I was about 14 or 15 my dad and I were watching some lame movie about Killer Rats when all of a sudden this "rat" came in through the back door and ran into the spare bedroom. I was screaming and standing on the couch and dad went to get it. He found it under the bed in an old vase.

We just took the vase outside and the next morning he was gone...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FootersOwnsMe

Interesting! Thanks for clearing that up
. I had no idea they couldn't carry rabies. That is a good thing