The Worry And Stress Of Flutd

speechlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just did a search on FLUTD as I know it is common and it distresses me to see sooooo many threads. Why can't researchers figure this out. I am once again dealing with what I THINK is a flare up of FLUTD in my 4.5 year old male cat Finley. He acts FINE. But, because he uses the actual toilet (don't worry, I've since put down litter boxes which are soooo disgusting! lol) I noticed that he was jumping up there a lot and not much was coming out. Rushed him to emergency vet--no blockage and empty bladder so he was peeing...somewhere! Notice that my apt now smells like urine which has NEVER been an issue before and I can't seem to fix it, which makes me feel sad...and stinky. Got the plastic beads to try and collect urine at home but he wasn't producing enough at suck it up with a syringe. Of course I was headed out of town for the wedding of a childhood friend so, for the first time ever, I boarded him at the vet with the hopes that they could draw urine. He hated it and didn't eat the entire weekend (they gave him an appetite stimulate, which I did not approve) Vet called and said that thew drew urine but may have nicked an artery so they aren't sure if the blood is in the urine or from the nick. What!?!?!??! So they ask me--and charge me again for the plastic bead thingies--to get a sample at home. Oh, did I mention that I have been fostering two kittens for the last month. (his urinary stuff started in September so it wasn't "brought on" by stress of the kitties, he doesn't pay them any mind to be honest LOL)

Feeling FED UP so I ask the vet "What are you going to do if he DOES have blood in his urine?" (no crystals) and she said..of COURSE...put him on PUrina UO wet only. "What about my other cat Tatiana who will NOT eat wet food? I ask...Give her purina dry food. But she has skin allergies (chicken) Oh...well give him...

AHHHHHHHHHH! I feel like we go through constant food changes 5 million times every year and I am FED UP!!!!

I fed him Stella and Chewy Raw (freeze dried) and everything was FINE. But then he got roundworms despite being an indoor cat and the vet freaked as she is NOT a raw food fan and told me to stop it.

I honestly. Don't. Know. What. To Do. I am feeling so stressed out.

HELP!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely understand being under the stress of having a FLUTD issue prone cat. I do think he should have litter boxes, at least for awhile until everything settles down. I am not sure why they are pushing so much for you to get a sample at home, at best you get something and its not going to be a sterile sample once it leaves the cat and is in the pan. He was boarded for the weekend and they couldn't get a sample from him? That seems a little strange.
Has the Vet prescribed him any thing for pain or inflammation? I've personally not ever used Stella and Chewys' but I do feed raw to my previously blocked flutd cats and they've done exceptionally well on it. Based on what you've written, I would be seeking out a second opinion from another vet.
Regarding the smell in your apartment, if you were to get a black flashlight, you could see the spots where there was urine on the carpets and treat those with an enzymatic cleaner. I use Natures Miracle for cats, nothing like it to take out the smell.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can cats really get roundworms from eating raw? I thought roundworms was usually from fleas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

speechlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I completely understand being under the stress of having a FLUTD issue prone cat. I do think he should have litter boxes, at least for awhile until everything settles down. I am not sure why they are pushing so much for you to get a sample at home, at best you get something and its not going to be a sterile sample once it leaves the cat and is in the pan. He was boarded for the weekend and they couldn't get a sample from him? That seems a little strange.
Has the Vet prescribed him any thing for pain or inflammation? I've personally not ever used Stella and Chewys' but I do feed raw to my previously blocked flutd cats and they've done exceptionally well on it. Based on what you've written, I would be seeking out a second opinion from another vet.
Regarding the smell in your apartment, if you were to get a black flashlight, you could see the spots where there was urine on the carpets and treat those with an enzymatic cleaner. I use Natures Miracle for cats, nothing like it to take out the smell.
Hey there !
When I took him to the emergency vet, they gave him pain meds and something to relax him. My vet DID get a sample when urine but it was blood tinged and she can't rule out an artery prick rather than TRUE blood in his urine. I bought a social flashlight and checked the entire apartment. There were no super obvious urine spots butbovbiouslu he's going somewhere.

I've had two litter boxes down for two weeks now. He still prefers to pee on the toilet and in the litter box.

speechlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know. I do know tapeworms are the ones cats get from fleas though.
I didn't think so but my vet is super anti-raw and I got spooked so I stopped it. I'm totally going back to raw when I get paid this week.

speechlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have nature's miracle as well. I just don't think I've found the source of the smell (carpet, chairs, walls?) I swear I've been sniffing everything and washing all my throw blankets and such bit I STILL smell it!