The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...they are hung! I took pics, they came out ok...I was working with less than ideal light, but with a little adjusting you can at least see them! They are actually twin-sized flat sheets from WalMart that I hem and sew a rod pocket for. Let's me do a whole window for under $50, including rod and sheers!
That's a real talent you have! If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have believed those were sheets. It takes a good eye and imagination to see things used for a different purpose. Are you going to make a matching bedspread or pillows?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Well...they are hung! I took pics, they came out ok...I was working with less than ideal light, but with a little adjusting you can at least see them! They are actually twin-sized flat sheets from WalMart that I hem and sew a rod pocket for. Let's me do a whole window for under $50, including rod and sheers!

Very nice! I wish I could put up curtains like that, I actually have some packed away from a previous rental. Here I have wooden plantation shutters on the inside that fold up and when they are shut I can move the louvers up and down. I did get a tension rod for the window in the living room and put fancy sheers on it that I have had forever, and mounted a long rod onto the top inside of the sliding door to the patio and put floor length sheers on that, but I do wish I could put proper curtains up. I need the shutters during the hot part of the year so that my AC bill won't go through the roof or I would just take them down and store them.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I am back after a long Hiatus! The kitties are doing well- Tesla was a brat a few days ago and literally WENT SWIMMING IN MY 125 GALLON FISH TANK! I know he didn't fall in and freak out like most cats would! He was SWIMMING IN IT!!! Crazy cat!!

I have been very busy lately ! I have been working full time. I am working on building my credit so my fiancé and I can buy a house! My dream home would be in Nineveh, Indiana (Princess Lakes area)! I think that is where we are aiming to move! Anyone on here live in or around that area?

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I am back after a long Hiatus! The kitties are doing well- Tesla was a brat a few days ago and literally WENT SWIMMING IN MY 125 GALLON FISH TANK! I know he didn't fall in and freak out like most cats would! He was SWIMMING IN IT!!! Crazy cat!!

I have been very busy lately ! I have been working full time. I am working on building my credit so my fiancé and I can buy a house! My dream home would be in Nineveh, Indiana ! I think that is where we are aiming to move! Anyone on here live in or around that area?
What kind of cat is Tesla? There are about 10 different breeds that love to get into or play with water. Amazingly the Maine Coon and the Norwegian Forest Cat with their thick fur are at the top of the list.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What kind of cat is Tesla? There are about 10 different breeds that love to get into or play with water. Amazingly the Maine Coon and the Norwegian Forest Cat with their thick fur are at the top of the list.
He is likely a mix from one of those 2 breeds. Leaning toward NFC because of his completely straight profile, and his size (17lbs). He has TONS of fine, cotton-like fur that sticks to every fabric surface imaginable lol. He feels softer than a cotton ball when you pet him.

He has gotten in the shower with me a few times while the shower was running, and I've caught him dipping his paws in the fish tank before but nothing like what he did the other day!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a real talent you have! If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have believed those were sheets. It takes a good eye and imagination to see things used for a different purpose. Are you going to make a matching bedspread or pillows?
Thank you! I won't try to make the bedspread. I have my eye on a teal comforter set. However, I may very well, since this is a daybed, buy a couple of sets of pillowcases to make big pillows for the back and sides! I'm also going to order fabric to recover the rocking chair I was given. Old-fashioned thing with those lovely wooden swan arms, and an upholstered seat and back pad. I'm looking at a very pretty Jacobean floral in blues and tans. I'll order enough to make throw pillows for a loveseat when I get one! Probably dark blue, or if I find a used one, a slipcover. Let's see if I can get a picture of the fabric I'm looking at on here...hang on a minute...

aaa.jpg

It's a bit pricey, but I only need three yards to have enough to recover AND make at least two throw pillows. Dark blue solid for the love seat, and a dark or medium blue recliner...yeah, I know, but sometimes I have to sleep sitting up, so a recliner is a real blessing!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a daybed also with a trundle under it in the guest room, it's kind of early American style. It came with these huge pillows and a bedspread in a bluejeans-type material, and although I wear lots of blue I just could not see it on that daybed. So I donated the pillows and bedspread to Goodwill and dumped all the pillows that have been accumulating in closets onto the bed. I have a Mexican style blanket on it which gets washed a lot as the foster cat Patrick spends his nights in that room (together with a litter box and his dinner as he gets meds on his dinner), throws up hairballs on it sometimes and sleeps on and under it. Sometimes his dirty butt leaves streaks on it too which is why it and the sheet under it get washed a lot. I don't think Patrick will ever get adopted so I am stuck with him, like it or not.
If and when Patrick is no longer a part of this household I will think about what I will do with that daybed regarding dressing it up. It sits under this really wide window with plantation shutters which are wider than the bed is long. I would love to dress up this room really girly with lace curtains and ruffles on the bed but then I would have to take all the pictures down which are of sailboats, there are sailing trophies and books about sailing and maritime voyages, so that is not going to work; I will not get rid of them and there is not really any place to store them. So maybe I should think of turning the room into a more maritime room, maybe a captain's cave with a fancy navy fitted bedspread and navy and gold pillows. I want it to look luxurious, not too masculine but not cutesy. I'm thinking gold bullion fringe. But what to do about that huge window with those damn shutters? The window looks out onto a breezeway with people walking by and the light is really bright at night, so the shutters are a necessity if anyone is going to sleep in there. There is also an early American rocker in that room which at this point just has a dark blue pad on it and a black sheepskin draped over the back. I don't spend much time in that room. I keep my ironing board in there and it is hooked over the door, and a fold-up table and chair which I use when I do my water colors although I have not done any in quite a few months, like 8 or 9, so the table and chair have been folded up in the closet where I also keep my out of season clothes. One plain bookcase, a double dresser and a 3-drawer chest with no particular style, sort of mid-century, are the only other things in that room, oh yes, and I keep the cat cages tucked in a corner. Well, it's not something that is going to get done while Patrick is still here.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Bast got her duly appointed sacrifice recently. Not sure when though as Midway managed to hide the torn toilet paper roll partially behind the hamper. I have no clue how the twerp did that.

Sigh, could be worse. He doesn't unroll the rolls, he instead digs all four sets of claws in and bites chunks out and tears chunks out with his claws. So most of the roll is still usable if you don't mind shredded toilet paper and the tears disappear when there's half a roll left.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done!

Very Pretty.. and such a good job! Wow.. Really looks like a 'home'...
Congrats!!
:yeah:

One room of it is, at any rate! The cardboard box full of newspapers that you see in that corner needs to go out, but SOMEONE with whiskers and a purr is so fond of it that I'm leaving it for now! Thanks! Just one more bookcase and a bedspread in that room, and it is DONE! Living room next. I want to redo my bedroom, but I can't find a spread that makes me go "AHHHHHHhhhhhhhh" yet.
My advice: wait for it. Wait for finding the right one.

I believe in rehabilitation of criminals whenever possible. A lot of them are getting out, there's probably more that have a life sentence but don't really deserve that level of harshness, and if we can turn them into decent citizens we'll be safer as a whole. On top of it being the right, ethical thing to do. This guy, his crime was robbing a bank (not murder or a sex crime) and he pretty much did rehabilitate himself while on the run. He bought a one-way ticket to Alaska, used some of the stolen money to buy a trailer, got a job as a deckhand on a crab boat, and lived pretty decently for over a year. Before he got stupid and went back to visit family and friends. Yeah he robbed a bank, and yeah he was a fugitive from justice, and yeah he crossed state lines and broke federal laws on top of state laws, but how he conducted himself while on the run, I wouldn't have a problem with him being a neighbor.
Nice, and I couldn't agree with you more.

Very nice! I wish I could put up curtains like that, I actually have some packed away from a previous rental. Here I have wooden plantation shutters on the inside that fold up and when they are shut I can move the louvers up and down. I did get a tension rod for the window in the living room and put fancy sheers on it that I have had forever, and mounted a long rod onto the top inside of the sliding door to the patio and put floor length sheers on that, but I do wish I could put proper curtains up. I need the shutters during the hot part of the year so that my AC bill won't go through the roof or I would just take them down and store them.
Sounds more aesthetic than what we do--for the heat of summer we put aluminum foil over the windows to help keep it out of the house. (Doesn't look very nice, but it does work.)

I have been very busy lately ! I have been working full time. I am working on building my credit so my fiancé and I can buy a house! My dream home would be in Nineveh, Indiana (Princess Lakes area)! I think that is where we are aiming to move! Anyone on here live in or around that area?
:flail:

Well, Ra can't be part Maine Coon--he hates being in water. Know anything about cats with really short, slick fur, like Princess?

Well, I'd post a picture of each of them, but I can't remember how to do it.

He is likely a mix from one of those 2 breeds. Leaning toward NFC because of his completely straight profile, and his size (17lbs). He has TONS of fine, cotton-like fur that sticks to every fabric surface imaginable lol. He feels softer than a cotton ball when you pet him.

He has gotten in the shower with me a few times while the shower was running, and I've caught him dipping his paws in the fish tank before but nothing like what he did the other day!
One of DD's cats, Goober (I didn't name it; I had nothing to do with the cat's name), liked being in showers too.

Thank you! I won't try to make the bedspread. I have my eye on a teal comforter set. However, I may very well, since this is a daybed, buy a couple of sets of pillowcases to make big pillows for the back and sides! I'm also going to order fabric to recover the rocking chair I was given. Old-fashioned thing with those lovely wooden swan arms, and an upholstered seat and back pad. I'm looking at a very pretty Jacobean floral in blues and tans. I'll order enough to make throw pillows for a loveseat when I get one! Probably dark blue, or if I find a used one, a slipcover. Let's see if I can get a picture of the fabric I'm looking at on here...hang on a minute...

View attachment 182790

It's a bit pricey, but I only need three yards to have enough to recover AND make at least two throw pillows. Dark blue solid for the love seat, and a dark or medium blue recliner...yeah, I know, but sometimes I have to sleep sitting up, so a recliner is a real blessing!
Nice fabric! :)

I have a daybed also with a trundle under it in the guest room, it's kind of early American style. It came with these huge pillows and a bedspread in a bluejeans-type material, and although I wear lots of blue I just could not see it on that daybed. So I donated the pillows and bedspread to Goodwill and dumped all the pillows that have been accumulating in closets onto the bed. I have a Mexican style blanket on it which gets washed a lot as the foster cat Patrick spends his nights in that room (together with a litter box and his dinner as he gets meds on his dinner), throws up hairballs on it sometimes and sleeps on and under it. Sometimes his dirty butt leaves streaks on it too which is why it and the sheet under it get washed a lot. I don't think Patrick will ever get adopted so I am stuck with him, like it or not.
If and when Patrick is no longer a part of this household I will think about what I will do with that daybed regarding dressing it up. It sits under this really wide window with plantation shutters which are wider than the bed is long. I would love to dress up this room really girly with lace curtains and ruffles on the bed but then I would have to take all the pictures down which are of sailboats, there are sailing trophies and books about sailing and maritime voyages, so that is not going to work; I will not get rid of them and there is not really any place to store them. So maybe I should think of turning the room into a more maritime room, maybe a captain's cave with a fancy navy fitted bedspread and navy and gold pillows. I want it to look luxurious, not too masculine but not cutesy. I'm thinking gold bullion fringe. But what to do about that huge window with those damn shutters? The window looks out onto a breezeway with people walking by and the light is really bright at night, so the shutters are a necessity if anyone is going to sleep in there. There is also an early American rocker in that room which at this point just has a dark blue pad on it and a black sheepskin draped over the back. I don't spend much time in that room. I keep my ironing board in there and it is hooked over the door, and a fold-up table and chair which I use when I do my water colors although I have not done any in quite a few months, like 8 or 9, so the table and chair have been folded up in the closet where I also keep my out of season clothes. One plain bookcase, a double dresser and a 3-drawer chest with no particular style, sort of mid-century, are the only other things in that room, oh yes, and I keep the cat cages tucked in a corner. Well, it's not something that is going to get done while Patrick is still here.
I would suggest networking to try and get him adopted out yourself, but after one woman spread rumors all over Facebook that Rose's kittens (they weren't named yet) were cursed and several potential adopters pulled out--yeah, I say no.

Well Bast got her duly appointed sacrifice recently. Not sure when though as Midway managed to hide the torn toilet paper roll partially behind the hamper. I have no clue how the twerp did that.

Sigh, could be worse. He doesn't unroll the rolls, he instead digs all four sets of claws in and bites chunks out and tears chunks out with his claws. So most of the roll is still usable if you don't mind shredded toilet paper and the tears disappear when there's half a roll left.
:flail: That's what Ra does to paper towels!

All right, all joking aside, I have a question. As I was getting off work this morning I noticed that one of the local ferals at work has had kittens (and they're hiding under exterior hot water tank), and all six (she had five kittens!!) are starving. Now, I want to give them some food so that they're no longer starving--but I don't want to make them tame. (There are too many customers at the store who hate cats and will try to kill them if they approach humans. Trust me--feral is good in this situation.) I can't afford to take them home, and the shelter is way, way overcrowded with kittens and puppies (they set up an extra tent). So--what do I do?

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
All right, all joking aside, I have a question. As I was getting off work this morning I noticed that one of the local ferals at work has had kittens (and they're hiding under exterior hot water tank), and all six (she had five kittens!!) are starving. Now, I want to give them some food so that they're no longer starving--but I don't want to make them tame. (There are too many customers at the store who hate cats and will try to kill them if they approach humans. Trust me--feral is good in this situation.) I can't afford to take them home, and the shelter is way, way overcrowded with kittens and puppies (they set up an extra tent). So--what do I do?
You may have answered these questions a long time ago, but I'll ask maybe again. First, does the shelter have a list of foster parents? Second, how close are the next nearest shelters you feel you could drive/get a ride to? Third, are there no-kill shelters within a reasonable (to you) distance? Fourth, is there any kind of networking (Facebook or Craig's list or something) that could get either a non-official foster or even an owner? Fifth, can you check with local vets to see if they might have a client willing to take in at least one of the cats? Sixth, are you in a big city or is there maybe someone a bit away that might consider barn cats if all reasonable attempts to home them fail?

Beyond that, maybe put the food a little bit away from them so they can approach it when no humans are around?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a kitten when I was growing up that would throw a fit if you showered without her. She would cry at the door until you brought her in. Then she would hang out in the water the whole time and expect you to dry her and cuddle her when you were done.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a kitten when I was growing up that would throw a fit if you showered without her. She would cry at the door until you brought her in. Then she would hang out in the water the whole time and expect you to dry her and cuddle her when you were done.
That's cute.
Whenever my cats got caught in the rain they would come inside and expect me to dry them off. They were adorable.

Muffy

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have answered these questions a long time ago, but I'll ask maybe again. First, does the shelter have a list of foster parents? Second, how close are the next nearest shelters you feel you could drive/get a ride to? Third, are there no-kill shelters within a reasonable (to you) distance? Fourth, is there any kind of networking (Facebook or Craig's list or something) that could get either a non-official foster or even an owner? Fifth, can you check with local vets to see if they might have a client willing to take in at least one of the cats? Sixth, are you in a big city or is there maybe someone a bit away that might consider barn cats if all reasonable attempts to home them fail?

Beyond that, maybe put the food a little bit away from them so they can approach it when no humans are around?
It does have a list of fosters--but they're all inundated by kittens. (Believe me, the tent was a last resort.) The two nearest shelters (only one of which is a no-kill shelter--the one with the tent, and the other has a holding rate of three days before euthanasia) are literally between where I live and where I work. (Both are inundated with puppies and kittens.) Seriously, there's been a lot baby animals born lately (the local cattle herds have doubled this year). And the only farmers I know have all the barn cats they need (and some a few more than they want). And no, I don't live in a big city, but there are elements of a big city here.

Reminds me a little of Princess and Ra; they'll both go out in the rain (Princess plays in it--and puddles), but want their pets, cuddles, and dried.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think unless you pet those kittens they will remain feral and afraid of people. Feeding them when they are not looking and far away from where customers come should be ok, that's what we do with a feral colony that we care for. Once the kittens are old enough you can trap-neuter-release them and their mom so that there won't be any more kittens. Our feral colony has stayed at the same number (5) for several years.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I think unless you pet those kittens they will remain feral and afraid of people. Feeding them when they are not looking and far away from where customers come should be ok, that's what we do with a feral colony that we care for. Once the kittens are old enough you can trap-neuter-release them and their mom so that there won't be any more kittens. Our feral colony has stayed at the same number (5) for several years.
You just sparked a memory.
Feral Cats (TNR) | PAWS Chicago
Crain's Chicago Business

Chicago decided to try to control their rat problem and their feral cat problem by placing small colonies (3-4 cats) of altered feral cats with people who have rodent problems. It's so successful that there's a waiting list for people to take in the cats. Maybe the organization can give ideas for placing a 6 cat feral colony? I remember the original article talked about both private homeowners and businesses like breweries getting the cats.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a marvelous idea, a win-win for all. That's what happened at CAL State Long Beach when they decided to get rid of the cats and then the rats took over, they had to bring the cats back. I'm sure that will happen in our community garden where the powers that be decided that having the cats "didn't work". Now that people are starting to harvest their summer crops there are already complaints that there are too many rats eating the produce. Go figure. Of course the people in charge belong to Landscaping which has no idea about gardening, they want everything to look as if Martha Steward (and her crew) was gardening here instead of a bunch of older and really old people who are doing it on their own (this is a retirement community) but they are not listening to us, they "know better".

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
People kvetch about how cats kill birds ("Omg, they are going to bring those birds to the edge of extinction....and push them over!!! Won't someone think of the children???") but their ability to control vermin is such a major need of society. Black plague, 'nuff said. Yeah, technically they are an invasive species in the US, but they've been around so long that the ecosystem has re-stabilized with cats playing an important part of it. They do cull the numbers of small prey animals, but the small prey animals have adapted by pumping out more babies and without cats the small prey animals would run out of food and starve slowly.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the idea of placing feral colonies in areas with rodent problems is GENIUS! Especially if it is done with vet support available for sick/injured colony memebers! Wonder if the ASPCA or AHS would be interested in sponsoring programs like this nationwide?

Marasoul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the complex i where i live there are strays. Some people feed them, but we have'nt seen a rat mouse or any unwanted critters in yrs.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH OH OH!!! I just went out to feed Little Bit (I was running late...got into the forums and didn't watch the time). He was sitting right outside the back door. When I opened the door, instead of running 10-15 feet away, he just backed off to about 6 feet, and then he GAVE ME TWO SLOW BLINKS! I half-thought maybe the wind was just in his eyes, so I took off my glasses and gave him one, and HE BLINKED BACK! We progress!

OK, Hekitty says it is definitely time to get off of here for the night and pay attention to HER!

~scampers off, elated~

Status
Not open for further replies.