The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Pumpkin face as a baby kitten...picture on my refrigerator. She loved that toy mouse. we sewed it shut dozens of times..I could never find another like it. Bought it in 2000 at petco. I searched all over for another one.
Ok it won't upload...sometimes this gets frustrating.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
@arouetta Sophie was not pleased at all that I found her hiding spot :lol:

She is so silly. I found the most adorable outfit on Amazon and here she is trying it on. She's thrilled about it, as I am sure you can tell by her expression here....

She is my feline soul mate. My baby. I love her more than air..

The outfit was on her for about 2 minutes total... 2 minutes too many in her opinion. :lol:

Oh be still, my beating heart! :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: (What an odd expression.) Sophie is so adorable! :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: I'm smushing big wet kisses on my monitor. I can never get enough of that face!

On a different but related subject - are you back from the ER yet? :lol:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That orange kitty Remis is so adorable!! That tail!! The black baby Sirius is cute as well!!love pictures always!!
Aww thank you. And I agree! Remus is a little cutie haha. He is at that awkward teenage stage where his body parts aren't proportionate. His tail seems soooooooo long compared to his body. But that doesn't make him any less cute!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh be still, my beating heart! :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: (What an odd expression.) Sophie is so adorable! :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: I'm smushing big wet kisses on my monitor. I can never get enough of that face!

On a different but related subject - are you back from the ER yet? :lol:
Thank you. She is adorable. She is very mischievous. She is the smallest of all my furkids and by far the bravest.

She was actually a good sport about it. She really only had it on a couple of minutes. As soon as the picture was taken, it came off. Here she is feeling more agreeable about things. :lol:

Snuggled next to me on the bed. :cloud9:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cannot wait for my new kitty
Neither can we! We want lots of pictures! :hyper: :camera:
:yeah:

She is so silly. I found the most adorable outfit on Amazon and here she is trying it on. She's thrilled about it, as I am sure you can tell by her expression here....

The outfit was on her for about 2 minutes total... 2 minutes too many in her opinion. :lol:
:flail:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
View attachment 199531 I loaded my pictures, now to see if I can figure out the right way to post them.
Here's Chiqui in the bathroom sink.
Gosh, it's not everyone who will plan the color scheme of their bathroom around the beautiful cat in the sink. :lol: I love her little paw resting on the counter top.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few stories about work. Worst customer, best customer, and something odd I noticed.

Best customer: A man comes in with his girlfriend to get a six-pack of beer, some candy, and a bag of ice. He gets to the counter, sees that the smallest bill in his wallet is a 100 dollar bill, and instead of handing it to the clerk says, "I haven't spent enough. Are you still selling lottery scratch offs?" (His change, for the whole transaction, came out to be a solid twelve cents.)

Worst customer: Actually, I hesitate to call her a customer, as that implies she bought something. Egads. Here's what happened. At four in the morning, when I was finishing cleaning the last couple of pots and starting morning coffee, this woman comes in screaming about how she has people waiting for her. (She was holding a battered fountain cup from our store, or store brand. Remember this; it's important later.) She runs over to the coffee pots, finds our cheapest cups, pulls five of them, and then proceeds to use them to drain the pot. The very last cup was only about a third of the way full. She points at the cup and demands to know if I'll charge her full price for that cup. Since it was old coffee (I hadn't started the morning pots yet, I was waiting until I finished cleaning the last two pots--they get cleaned every night) I told her I'd only charge her for an ice cup for that cup. So, of course, that's the cup she grabs (leaving the other four on the counter). I ask her if she's getting the other cups and she says, "I have cancer, so I have a phobia." She grabs a few of the creamers (ten cents each), throws her old fountain cup and grabs a new one (seventy-four cents). I ring her up, read the total (a dollar forty-two). She starts screaming that I'm charging her too much so I patiently go over every item I'm charging and what I'm charging. I only charged her for an ice cup for her coffee (because I said I would, and it was a little old), I charged her for the three creamers-to-go that she grabbed (they're free if you actually dump them in a cup while you're there), and for the new fountain drink. She starts screaming about how she came in with that cup (and she did come in with a cup) and how I can't charge her for it. I explained that even if it was her cup (and I saw her throw the old one out), a refill was the same charge as a brand new cup, so it wouldn't change the total. She starts screaming about how she didn't refill the cup, just topped it off and I reminded her that she had the cup upside down at one point while getting coffee--and nothing spilled, which proved it was empty when she came in. She then changes topic and grabs the three creamers and screams, "These are free!" I explain (with more patience than I'm feeling at this point) that they used to be free, but we had customers abusing our hospitality, so now we charge for them. She just screams, once again, that they're free and she's got people waiting on her. (I think she was trying to get me to agree that they were free--but they're not.) Suddenly she screams about what a horrible person I am and how she's going to complain to management about my "unfriendly attitude" and how she's not buying anything from our store. I tell her to complain away (the tapes will back me up, and I know I have more patience with difficult "customers" than the manager does). She starts walking off, darts back to the counter, grabs the fountain drink cup, and says, "I'm taking this--it's mine." Then she runs out like the Hounds of Hell are after her. :doh: (I left a note for management. I had too much to do to handle it myself.)

Something odd: Our store is in a busy location. I know it's busy, all twenty-four hours of it (because I work third shift) and there are rush times on my shift when it's so busy it'd be nice if I had another person. Business picked up during the summer, and it hasn't dropped. However, the company has dropped the number of hours allotted to the store to run from 245 to 208 a week. (My manager was told it was because business has slowed down--and it hasn't. AWM thinks the company is getting ready to close our location--which would be stupid, since we're the only station close to two twenty-four hour plants.) As a result, my hours have been cut (I can use the rest, it'll help me find a better job), but we have a new guy and there are several things about his hiring that I find odd. Let me say first off, that despite the oddities I am happy to see him because he works like I do--from the time he clocks in to the time he clocks out, no standing at the register as the store slowly goes to seed complaining that there's nothing to do. (We've had a few problems with that.) Please keep that in mind. Now, when my manager first took over the store last year (shortly before my birthday) she instituted a policy that every employee learn every shift. You may never work it again, but you'll know how. (It's very similar to the way AWM taught me how to drive, "You may never drive in snow/ice/sleet/thick fog again, but you will drive in it now." By the time I took Driver's Ed the only weather I couldn't drive in was sunshine.) The new guy (NG, for short from now on), isn't. He's trained on the other two shifts, just not mine, and I've been informed that he'll never work my shift. (I find it odd.) Another thing is that when someone just hires on, when they're new, they start off with eighteen to twenty-one hours a week--unless we're exceptionally short-staffed, and we're not. (We've almost got a full roster.) NG is starting with thirty (which is why my hours have been cut). :headscratch: I think that he came in through a back door, but he is hard worker. It's not like he's some pampered lily that can't take a hard wind. (And, honestly, much better than the last hired male. Clerks don't exactly get the cream of the crop.)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I email them to myself and do it from there.
I've tried this, and it doesn't seem to send the picture at its best resolution, apparently this is a part of Android, meant to reduce data usage charges.

I use the USB that came with it to charge. I then open file manager. Open 2 of them. One for your phone, and one for your pictures. One your phone, in file manager, find the gallery and open. Then just drag the image over from your pictures (from your computer).
You can do ringtones and music the same way, only open ringtones instead of gallery.
This works extremely well (and you can also use it the other direction) but there's one problem with it. for some reason. when you right click on your phone in the file manager it doesn't give you an option to eject (at least in Windows 7), and not ejecting before unplugging can cause problems with your phone. It took me a while to figure out, but what you have to do is go to the notifications area on your status bar (next to the time, generally in the bottom right corner of your Windows desktop) and click on the little Up arrow to the left. This leads you to other possible notifications, one of which looks like a plug. If you click on that it will give you the option to eject, just select the smartphone from whatever list pops up.

It's been a few years since I messed with DOS Box but I was always able to set up a series of commands that would auto load upon starting that established the basics - CD drive, main directory, things like that - so I didn't have to do it every time myself.
I tried at some length to establish some kind of path command under DOSbox and was unable to do so. If you managed it I'd be very interested to know how.

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I bought kitten food today, and catnip spray to help the potential future family member find her toys. (She can't see very well.) So although I could still back out and just donate the food, I am now semi-committed. ;)
Remember that kittens couldn't care less about catnip. They have to be several months old (at least - I don't remember the exact age) before the craving sets in, and for some cats it never does.

(It's very similar to the way AWM taught me how to drive, "You may never drive in snow/ice/sleet/thick fog again, but you will drive in it now." By the time I took Driver's Ed the only weather I couldn't drive in was sunshine.)
:lolup: :flail:

Gorgeous pictures, of gorgeous kittens, everybody!

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's a legitimate convenience store. (Several of my coworkers have expressed their thanks that we're not a truck stop location--which makes me wonder how bad they get.)
After the eclipse I got gas at the first truck stop I came to, as my tank was almost empty and a truck stop was all that was available. I got mid-grade, which is what my car normally takes. The price was not posted on the pump, but was extremely high. And on my way back to Denver from Wyoming I noticed that my car didn't have its usual get-up-and-go. Then the Check Engine light came on. I suspected problems with the gas, so when I got home I bought a tank of premium from a Shell station, and took the car to our mechanic to check. The mechanic said that it was, indeed, the poor quality gas, but the Premium seemed to have done the trick as the Check Engine light didn't come back on after he cleared it. But then I noticed that the car still didn't have its usual get-up-and-go, and the Check Engine light came back on. It went off the next morning and that was when we were in the middle of our circuit breaker box difficulties, so I put off talking to the mechanic again, and bought a full tank of premium. This helped somewhat, but the car still wasn't back to normal, so once the electrical difficulties were over I called my mechanic again. He did a full job this time -- complete tune up, new spark plugs, tires rotated so I'm ready for winter, and this time he actually found the problem. The Mass Air Flow Sensor had gotten clogged with dirt from the truck stop gas. He cleaned it and the car runs fine now, but, with everything, that single tank of truck stop gas cost me around $150, perhaps more.

The convenience store associated with the truck stop was nice, though overpriced (prices may have been raised for the eclipse; I don't know), and truck stop convenience stores do carry a lot of things that aren't easy to find elsewhere because they're catering to people who essentially live in their vehicles. I didn't eat anything there, so I can't speak about their food. They were extremely nice about restrooms. But the thing you have to remember about truck stops is that, mostly, they sell diesel, so non-diesel gas has a tendency to sit in the underground tanks too long and get dirty.

As for how bad it is to work in a truck stop convenience store, I can't say. On that particular occasion they were being run ragged because of all the people who'd come for the eclipse, but that's hardly a normal business day.

Margret

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After the eclipse I got gas at the first truck stop I came to, as my tank was almost empty and a truck stop was all that was available. I got mid-grade, which is what my car normally takes. The price was not posted on the pump, but was extremely high. And on my way back to Denver from Wyoming I noticed that my car didn't have its usual get-up-and-go. Then the Check Engine light came on. I suspected problems with the gas, so when I got home I bought a tank of premium from a Shell station, and took the car to our mechanic to check. The mechanic said that it was, indeed, the poor quality gas, but the Premium seemed to have done the trick as the Check Engine light didn't come back on after he cleared it. But then I noticed that the car still didn't have its usual get-up-and-go, and the Check Engine light came back on. It went off the next morning and that was when we were in the middle of our circuit breaker box difficulties, so I put off talking to the mechanic again, and bought a full tank of premium. This helped somewhat, but the car still wasn't back to normal, so once the electrical difficulties were over I called my mechanic again. He did a full job this time -- complete tune up, new spark plugs, tires rotated so I'm ready for winter, and this time he actually found the problem. The Mass Air Flow Sensor had gotten clogged with dirt from the truck stop gas. He cleaned it and the car runs fine now, but, with everything, that single tank of truck stop gas cost me around $150, perhaps more.

The convenience store associated with the truck stop was nice, though overpriced (prices may have been raised for the eclipse; I don't know), and truck stop convenience stores do carry a lot of things that aren't easy to find elsewhere because they're catering to people who essentially live in their vehicles. I didn't eat anything there, so I can't speak about their food. They were extremely nice about restrooms. But the thing you have to remember about truck stops is that, mostly, they sell diesel, so non-diesel gas has a tendency to sit in the underground tanks too long and get dirty.

As for how bad it is to work in a truck stop convenience store, I can't say. On that particular occasion they were being run ragged because of all the people who'd come for the eclipse, but that's hardly a normal business day.

Margret
Oh, man. That's one expensive tank of gas! (Had a similar problem with a local station--not owned by the company I work for.I always wince when I see people at their pumps.) I'm glad the store was nice. As part of my Lead training I briefly touched on services that truck stops run by our company include; things like showers and other necessities you need when you practically live in your vehicle.

Funny story I just remembered. One night while I was working I was helping a customer check out at the register when another customer came in, hood up, bandana over the lower part of his face, and yelled, "Everybody down!" The customer in front of me dropped to the floor and covered his head with his hands (clearly a robbery veteran). I leaned forward so the new customer could see me and said, "Sir?" He pushed the hood off, yanked the bandana down, grinned and said, "Gotcha!" The customer on the floor got up, still clearly shaken, and said, "I thought we were being robbed!"

(This is the best part.) "What? No, this is Tally! No one would ever rob Tally! She's too nice!" I look at the recovering customer and smile. "Besides," I add, "I don't keep enough money in my drawer to make robbing me worth it, and everyone knows it." :crackup:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Margret Margret the TA truck stop is right down the street from our house and they sell BP gas. We are right off I-95 so we have a number of gas stations nearby. I get gas at the truck stop all the time and I have never had a problem but they are ALWAYS busy at both the diesel pumps for the trucks and the regular pumps for cars. My late DH always told me to never get gas when the tanks are being filled by the tanker trucks. :nono:

They get diesel and regular gas deliveries daily. I guess it depends on the location. DD has told me how rude the truckers can be. Some of them are great but a lot of them are condescending and nasty. If there is a problem with the company card, they expected the cashier to call and fix it because it was beneath them to do that. Not all but some. Some of them are great and would buy treats or trinkets and them give them to DD as a gift.

BTW- We lived in Colorado from early 1993 to late 2002 so I enjoy when you reference things in that area. The last house we had was in Aurora off Quincy & Buckley

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

your Sophie is just so darn adorable (as usual)!!! :redheartpump: and that bunny suit......:cloud9:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW- We lived in Colorado from early 1993 to late 2002 so I enjoy when you reference things in that area. The last house we had was in Aurora off Quincy & Buckley
AKA "the other side of town," :lol: -- we live in sight of Red Rocks amphitheater when I go for a walk and the trees aren't leafed out.

Do you remember Denver Fabrics? The best fabric store in town; used to be on S. Federal. Well, they lost their lease and moved further south, to the Littleton area, nearer to us. Then the owner(s) decided it was time to retire and sold the store, which resulted in a name change to "Colorado Fabrics," but it was basically the same as it ever was. Then they moved to Aurora (I don't know why), to an area with a lot of new building projects. The first time I had to drive to the new location I searched for it for around an hour; I had put it into the Garmin, which though it knew where that address was but clearly didn't. I ended up having to call the store and listen to the recording with directions twice before I finally found it, at which point I told the Garmin to remember it by GPS location.

And I'm pretty sure you left before The Tattered Cover lost its lease in Cherry Creek and had to move. They've added another store, but their main location is now on Colfax and isn't nearly as big as the Cherry Creek store was. :sigh: One of the best book stores in the world. A friend once told me that there was a book that had just been published, wasn't in the library yet, and he wanted to read it but couldn't afford to buy it in hardback, so he used to go to Tattered Cover on his lunch break and speed read a few pages every day on his lunch hour. He thought he was putting something over on them, until the day he finished the book, at which point one of the clerks came over to him and said, "You know, if you enjoyed that book you really ought to try this one next."

* * * * * * * *​

Re. truck stops: the one where I bought gas in Wyoming was pretty much in the middle of nowhere. When I'm on a road trip I typically stop at the cheapest station I can find in or near a city. Usually this is a truck stop, because I don't want to waste time driving around searching for stations, and a lot of other people follow this pattern. This means that truck stop gas close to or in a city is safe. It was only an unusual circumstance that left me buying gas where I did after the eclipse; it took so long to get from Glendo to the freeway that my tank was right on the edge of running on fumes, and the only place available to gas up was the one and only truck stop at that exit. :dunno:

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.