The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
what about craigslist or linkedin? Can you set up an account on linkedin? you can see if you find something that isn't on the newspapers.

Ziprecruiter is an upand coming website I hear advertised daily. I suppose it's similar to monster, indeed, glassdoor etc. by the way glassdoor is much better organized than indeed. and the reviews are real world=not just some lame person saying bs to make company look better. I often read these reviews to get a picture of how management works or in some cases how management is tickpoor. as in my company. :(

sorry you got fired. That just stinks rocks. I hope you guys can find someway to make it. I get so mad at management jerks who don't have a clue what they are doing or purposefully make others lives miserable just to save a few bucks and get that all lovely bonus from said firing/layoffs. Ick. can't stand how some businesses are run. Too bad Google isn't closer to you=I read online that they are one of the best to work for.

nothing new today. raining this morning, honeybee was on me earlier this morning but I must have bounced her off of me.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've got an interview at 2:30 today.  :)
Wow You work fast!  Good luck.

So last night I had his furryness (Eclipse) was sleeping on me until I needed to use the bathroom.   Then he was laying next to me along my pillow.  So I didn't really get to sleep until 3 am when he got up.  I woke up at 7:30 am (Thanks Fluffy) to feed the cats and clean litter boxes.  Woke DH for work and crawled back into bed.  While I was trying to sleep, Eclipse and Gerry (the instigator) were playing in my room.  Gerry has finally figured out how to use the dresser and 2 bookcases to get to the top of the shelves where Eclipse was surveying his domain.  There was a thump which did get me to look on the floor to make sure no cat was injured.  I also looked up when I heard Gerry making her cute 'play with me' trill and saw her and Eclipse on top of the shelves wrestling - the surface is almost 1 ft by 3 ft and Eclipse fills most of the surface when he lays down.  Two hours later when I got up my room was a shambles!  The towel from the top shelf was on the floor along with some other things from the shelf below.  The pile of cat toys was on the floor.  A bunch of receipts from my pockets were scattered everywhere.  The nightgown from the dresser was on the floor.  Fluffy's new toy was missing!  I found it in the hallway wrapped around the railing.  And the two culprits . . . asleep in the cat tree and on the window perch in my room.

I had a phone call from the staffing agency yesterday.  I will be part-time as of 1/29.  I knew it was coming and it is actually a week later than I had been told originally.  But I was also told I would be able to pick my shift.  Not true
  I have been told I have to work the night sort 8:30 pm to 12:30 possibly 1:30 am.  I really wanted to work the 3 to 7/8 shift. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Wonderful!  Hoping for the best for you!  

Wow You work fast!  Good luck.

So last night I had his furryness (Eclipse) was sleeping on me until I needed to use the bathroom.   Then he was laying next to me along my pillow.  So I didn't really get to sleep until 3 am when he got up.  I woke up at 7:30 am (Thanks Fluffy) to feed the cats and clean litter boxes.  Woke DH for work and crawled back into bed.  While I was trying to sleep, Eclipse and Gerry (the instigator) were playing in my room.  Gerry has finally figured out how to use the dresser and 2 bookcases to get to the top of the shelves where Eclipse was surveying his domain.  There was a thump which did get me to look on the floor to make sure no cat was injured.  I also looked up when I heard Gerry making her cute 'play with me' trill and saw her and Eclipse on top of the shelves wrestling - the surface is almost 1 ft by 3 ft and Eclipse fills most of the surface when he lays down.  Two hours later when I got up my room was a shambles!  The towel from the top shelf was on the floor along with some other things from the shelf below.  The pile of cat toys was on the floor.  A bunch of receipts from my pockets were scattered everywhere.  The nightgown from the dresser was on the floor.  Fluffy's new toy was missing!  I found it in the hallway wrapped around the railing.  And the two culprits . . . asleep in the cat tree and on the window perch in my room.

I had a phone call from the staffing agency yesterday.  I will be part-time as of 1/29.  I knew it was coming and it is actually a week later than I had been told originally.  But I was also told I would be able to pick my shift.  Not true
  I have been told I have to work the night sort 8:30 pm to 12:30 possibly 1:30 am.  I really wanted to work the 3 to 7/8 shift. 
Ah, kids will be kids.   But not in the middle of the 
 night when you're trying to sleep!   It sounds like they had a great time, though.

That's a shame about the night shift.  How many hours is part-time?   I know that 30 minutes at Amazon would probably send me to the cardiac ward.  

I'm trying to solve a minor mystery. The three brushes that clean Chula and Paul's fountain are missing.  I must have decided they needed to live in a different place, but where is that new home?
 I've searched through every drawer and cupboard in my kitchen and no brushes.   

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wonderful!  Hoping for the best for you!  

Ah, kids will be kids.   But not in the middle of the 
 night when you're trying to sleep!   It sounds like they had a great time, though.

That's a shame about the night shift.  How many hours is part-time?   I know that 30 minutes at Amazon would probably send me to the cardiac ward.  

I'm trying to solve a minor mystery. The three brushes that clean Chula and Paul's fountain are missing.  I must have decided they needed to live in a different place, but where is that new home?
 I've searched through every drawer and cupboard in my kitchen and no brushes.   
Part time is 20 -25 hours a week.  I wasn't sure I would survive the first day.  I couldn't bend over my back was so sore.

Have you looked in the cat's hiding places for the brushes?  I saw Gerry playing with the one that came with the humidifier the other day.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think Chula and/or Paul are guilty because they never jump on the kitchen counters where I last remember seeing the brushes.  No, the culprit is staring back at me in the mirror.  
   Still, it won't hurt to check under the bed and couch.  Good point!  

My old Milo used to love toothbrushes.  I'd forgotten that until just his minute.  He would steal mine anytime I left it out until I finally bought him some of his own.  Heaven only knows what guests thought when they came over and saw four or five toothbrushes scattered around the living room floor. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I never turn down a request for a survey.  I did the job and I know how much it sucks.  I know how crappy it is to be pressured to complete a certain number an hour and have people telling you no over and over so you start to stress that you'll be below quota.  Especially when it's something so short.  I can give up 30 seconds of my time.
We got a call a couple of days ago from a realtor.  Roger was the one to pick up the phone, and said that, no, he wasn't willing to take the survey, but he'd ask me if I was.  I said sure, then, to the person on the other end, said "I believe I've taken this survey before.  The answers are:
  • No, we aren't interested in selling our house.
  • No, we aren't interested in buying a new house.
  • No, we don't know anyone who wants to either sell or buy."
She said "Thank you" and that was the end of it.  I think I saved her some time and hassle.

Margret

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Alicia88, thanks. I have. I worked yesterday, cleaning one of the historical houses I clean, & did OK. I just have to remember to engage my core, & I always wear the lumbar support. It makes a huge difference!
Good luck on your job hunting. Hope the interview went well.
Yes, @foxxycat, LinkedIn is a good idea. I have my cleaning business on there. (Kelly's Cleaning. I think there are others by that name, but mine has my picture).

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're going to drive me completely crazy!  Carol (big boss) called today.  She said that based on the calls, she doesn't agree with termination but thinks I sound "burned out."  She said she doesn't think I was yawning yesterday.  That's because I wasn't!!!  So, she gave me a choice.  To stay or go.  If I choose to stay, more torture and harassment.  If I choose to go, I get no unemployment because that means I've quit.  Maybe I shouldn't have filed so quickly.  They're still trying to force/trick me into quitting.  She's going to call me tomorrow for my decision.  I hate them all.  I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out because they've got me so stressed and mixed up and frustrated, I don't even know which end is up.

On the bright side, the interview went well, I think.  He said, "If you don't hear from me tomorrow, call on Tuesday."  I think that sounds very positive.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Since you mentioned paperwork, you reminded me that I need to dig through all my drawers until I find my rent receipts from Aug - Dec.  Then I have to figure out the most efficient way to get copies of my electric and phone/internet bills (I get those online) so I can be ready to have someone do my taxes when I get my W2's.  I normally do my own taxes, but with working from home I get to write off a lot of stuff and that's beyond my ability.
You should be able to download those from your utility companies websites.

Well, I just got fired.

I wasn't even yawning tonight but they said I was.  I was sneezing.  I hit mute as soon as it started and apologized.  Apparently that sounded like yawning.  Why am I so upset?  I'm crying.  I hated the job.  I've never gotten fired from anything before!!!
First time you are fired for no good reason is like a kick in the head.  Been there.

They're going to drive me completely crazy!  Carol (big boss) called today.  She said that based on the calls, she doesn't agree with termination but thinks I sound "burned out."  She said she doesn't think I was yawning yesterday.  That's because I wasn't!!!  So, she gave me a choice.  To stay or go.  If I choose to stay, more torture and harassment.  If I choose to go, I get no unemployment because that means I've quit.  Maybe I shouldn't have filed so quickly.  They're still trying to force/trick me into quitting.  She's going to call me tomorrow for my decision.  I hate them all.  I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out because they've got me so stressed and mixed up and frustrated, I don't even know which end is up.

On the bright side, the interview went well, I think.  He said, "If you don't hear from me tomorrow, call on Tuesday."  I think that sounds very positive.
WELL JUST SPIT!  Babygirl, losing that job could only be a blessing!  That is just the outside of absurd.  That said, I know what it is to try and keep the bills paid when you have others depending on you (even when it is "just" four-footed others.  Sending good beemz your way! 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So, since I'm not working there anymore, I'm gonna share the big survey secrets!!!  For this oh so confidential project!

Enterprise bought out national and alamo.  So I did surveys for all 3 of them.  If someone said, "no" or "not interested" or whatever, but didn't identify him/herself as the person I was asking for, I statused it as a non scheduled callback.  These surveys are ONLY done in the evenings.  If someone asked to be called in the morning or during business hours, I would say "yes sir/ma'am" and put them as a ns cb.  I had to refer to the scale twice unless I got a scale answer, no matter how annoyed the respondent was getting.  As in, "I said, 100% satisfied, what does that mean to you?"  I still have to redirect on the 2nd question which resulted in getting cussed out more often than not.  And here is the oh so important survey!

Hello, may I speak to _________________?  Hello sir/ma'am, my name is _____________________ and I'm calling on behalf of Enterprise/National/Alamo (whichever one the screen said).  First of all, ______________ would like to thank you for your business.  Also, I was wondering if I could ask you 2 or 3 questions about your recent rental car (truck) experience.  *side note:  if it was enterprise truck rental, I would be in deep shit for saying car instead of truck*  Is this ok?

Thank you.  For quality and training purposes, this call may be monitored or recorded.

Overall, how satisfied were with your recent car (truck) rental on (date)?  Would you say you were:

Completely satisfied

Somewhat satisfied

Neither satisfied or dissatisfied

Somewhat dissatisfied

Completely dissatisfied

If you need to rent a car again, how likely are you to call __________________?  Would you say:

Definitely will call

Probably will call

Might or might not call

Probably will not call

Definitely will not call

If the person said dissatisfied on q1 or anything other than completely satisfied on q1 AND will not call on q 2:

We're very sorry to hear that you were somewhat/completely dissatisfied/probably/definitely will not call with your recent.  We'd like to have someone from Enterprise/National/Alamo contact you about your experience.  When would be a good time for them to call you?

Weekdays 8am to noon

Weekdays noon to 5 pm

Weekdays after 5pm

Weekends

May I verify that your name is _______?

And you can be reached at phone number/requested time.

We will have someone from ___________ contact you within the next couple of days.  Thank you very much for your time and have a nice evening.

If the answers were both positive or neutral:

Your comments are appreciated and will be very helpful to Enterprise/National/Alamo.  Thank you very much for your time and have a nice evening.

There are EIGHT pages of pat responses.  I could not say ANYTHING that was not on the screen or the pat response sheet.

Well, now you all know classified information.  Don't you feel special?
I saw a YouTube video on
Uhh! Taking down the Christmas tree & decorations today.
I would've done it last weekend, but my low back decided to go
Into spasm on me after working all wk. All I was doing was lowering myself to sit on the couch Saturday morning. No twisting or anything. So a weekend of muscle relaxers, ibuprofen, cold pks, then the heating pad. Also wearing my lumbar support belt over the wknd made a big difference!
Usually when that happens, it takes around a week to feel better , but doing all of that, & wearing the support really made the difference. I usually make sure I do a lot of stretching after cleaning houses by myself all wk, but I didn't even get to do that before my back decided to spasm. I guess I should've been better about doing more of that during the week! I've also been trying to at least do a few sun salutations, & that helps too. I'm always concentrating on stretching my lower back forward, that you forget that counter stretches help too. When I was doing sun salutations, & was in up dog, or Cobra, I got some good adjustments during that arch!
SO, that was a good insentive to keep doing them!
"Anywho," so now, I am carefully going to take down the tree.
I got a head start last night, gathering the decorations that were around the house, on shelves, etc, do now i just have to put them away, & the tree, & decorations on it.
It's fun putting it all up, but man it's no fun taking it all down! [emoji]128539[/emoji]
Thank goodness, I am trading with another massage therapist tomorrow, I definitely need it!!!
Guess I better get off of here, & geta crack-a-lack'n!
Don't push yourself. Remember, pain is to keep you from doing too long.

Hope you feel better soon!

Right now, I'll take any job I can get.  When I finish school with a nursing degree, I'll be a bit more picky.

The manager of our nicest local restaurant e-mailed me in response to my resume wanting to set up an interview for sometime this week.  Send me prayers, luck, or whatever.  I'm decently cute - I could probably make good tips.  Hopefully.  If I get a waitressing job.  Could end up a dishwasher.  I don't really care.
Most colleges have a work/study program that you can take advantage of.

Good luck! 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I love my real estate agent but the sellers agent is terrible. She is almost impossible for anyone to get a hold of and put off doing all the repairs until today, tomorrow, and Friday since she wanted to make sure we were for sure going to close. Good news is we got the new garage door in and it looks awesome and works awesome. The door company messed up and ordered the wrong garage door opener so we got one that has a battery backup and wifi for the same price as the one that we ordered. 

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got another message from my ex.  He wants me to meet him at the bank so I can fill in the parts of the paperwork about my income and SSN.  I know those parts are there; I filled out the papers myself and was just waiting to have the money for a notary so I could file.  I just still remember his social (he was a Marine so I used his more often than I used mine) and figured I would leave the income part blank.  Still, he had me meet him 10 months ago and wanted me to sign a form in front of a notary stating he'd served me with papers.  I said, "sure, where are the papers?"  He said, "I'll get them to you in a couple of days?"  "Ok, then I'll sign this in a couple of days."  Didn't hear another word from him til the other day.  So, I don't trust him but we'll see what happens.  I'm taking my mother with me because, again, I don't trust him.  And, it feels awkward to ask John to go with me.  I kinda feel like pieces fell into place for tomorrow.  My mom ALWAYS works evening shift which starts at 3, but for some reason she's working days tomorrow, which means she gets off at 3.  He wants me to meet him at 4.

If the restaurant managers calls me with a job offer before Carol calls me back tomorrow, I'm quitting.  If not, I guess I'll keep sticking it out.  I need some kind of money and if I say I don't want to continue, then I'm quitting and no unemployment.  And I guarantee that's why they're doing it like this.  They think I'll quit.  I guess they haven't realized how much of a stubborn b with an itch I can be.

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm having an informal meeting with the hiring manger for an internal position this morning. The position is in the department I was in previously for a looonng time so I'm familiar with the work and most of the people. I really can't stay where I am now
I like the people I work with (except for a few lab members) but the work is just 
and nothing is going to change. I'm still looking at other similar companies for a position in my field. There's not much out there other than entry level pretty much no education required type positions or positions that require advanced skills and experience I don't have. I really don't want to go back to acadaemia or a non-profit because the pay stinks and the benefits and company offered resources for employees aren't that great.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So I love my real estate agent but the sellers agent is terrible. She is almost impossible for anyone to get a hold of and put off doing all the repairs until today, tomorrow, and Friday since she wanted to make sure we were for sure going to close. Good news is we got the new garage door in and it looks awesome and works awesome. The door company messed up and ordered the wrong garage door opener so we got one that has a battery backup and wifi for the same price as the one that we ordered. 
Oh, those are a big headache for DD as well! (He flips houses for a living.) The worst time was when the seller agent asked for an estimate on how much it would cost, labor and supplies, to fix a house up. DD gave her an estimate, heard nothing for two months, and then bam! She wanted all  the work done in two days! Plus, plus  there was a termite infestation that hadn't been there when DD originally gave the estimate. Then  she tried to sue him for breach of contract, because the job was soooo much more than the original estimate! 
 (I spent some of my summers working the office of the business for DD, but at times like that even I, who can't reliably hit a nail twice in a row, got called down to help. When I heard that woman laying into DD after hearing the estimate--and we did beautiful work on that house, I'll have you know!--I just wanted to smack  her.)

Congrats on the garage door though! 

Congratulations!  As far as the job goes, maybe ask for some kind of contract stating pay before accepting a job?

I just got another message from my ex.  He wants me to meet him at the bank so I can fill in the parts of the paperwork about my income and SSN.  I know those parts are there; I filled out the papers myself and was just waiting to have the money for a notary so I could file.  I just still remember his social (he was a Marine so I used his more often than I used mine) and figured I would leave the income part blank.  Still, he had me meet him 10 months ago and wanted me to sign a form in front of a notary stating he'd served me with papers.  I said, "sure, where are the papers?"  He said, "I'll get them to you in a couple of days?"  "Ok, then I'll sign this in a couple of days."  Didn't hear another word from him til the other day.  So, I don't trust him but we'll see what happens.  I'm taking my mother with me because, again, I don't trust him.  And, it feels awkward to ask John to go with me.  I kinda feel like pieces fell into place for tomorrow.  My mom ALWAYS works evening shift which starts at 3, but for some reason she's working days tomorrow, which means she gets off at 3.  He wants me to meet him at 4.

If the restaurant managers calls me with a job offer before Carol calls me back tomorrow, I'm quitting.  If not, I guess I'll keep sticking it out.  I need some kind of money and if I say I don't want to continue, then I'm quitting and no unemployment.  And I guarantee that's why they're doing it like this.  They think I'll quit.  I guess they haven't realized how much of a stubborn b with an itch I can be.
Every woman can be stubborn. It's bred into us.

Well, last night I was training our new store employee, who is a transfer from another store. (I'm seeing a pattern here with the new people; instead hiring brand new people, our manager likes to transfer in from other stores. I'm not arguing--I'm more impressed with the people she's brought in than the last several people the previous manager hired.) I got no word about training, but I try to roll with the punches. I told her, point blank, that when I say I assume no knowledge, I assume no knowledge. I went through everything  that third shift is supposed to do and made sure she knew how to do it--everything from cleaning the bathrooms to the cappuccino machines. (She already knew a lot, having worked at the company before. The only new thing I had to show her was the cappuccino machines--and how to restart her computer because, of course, it froze on her. 
) Well, in the middle of the night the other guy I've trained to work third came in the two started dissecting my teaching technique. It was interesting. Apparently I retain more from when I taught preschoolers than I thought. When I say I went through every step, I started with how to fill the bucket with cleaner, moved on to how to open the machines, and kept going from there, giving step by step instructions with demonstrations. The guy I trained confessed last night that he had found my approach mildly annoying (he thought it assumed he was stupid), but he still remembered how to do everything I showed him, in the proper order. I explained, to both of them (during training) that the reason I was teaching them that was because when I was learning people assumed  I had knowledge that I didn't and it got me into trouble.

So, my question of the day before I go to bed--was I teaching them correctly, or should I have done so differently?

I'm having an informal meeting with the hiring manger for an internal position this morning. The position is in the department I was in previously for a looonng time so I'm familiar with the work and most of the people. I really can't stay where I am now
I like the people I work with (except for a few lab members) but the work is just 
and nothing is going to change. I'm still looking at other similar companies for a position in my field. There's not much out there other than entry level pretty much no education required type positions or positions that require advanced skills and experience I don't have. I really don't want to go back to acadaemia or a non-profit because the pay stinks and the benefits and company offered resources for employees aren't that great.
 I wish you the best of luck! 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Well when it comes to guys=they don't take orders well from a women=I don't care how old they are. Women seem to be ok with learning from other women and men but women focus on detail where men just want to solve the problem. So that COULD be why he was annoyed=he was confused as there wasn't a problem to solve. Women focus on feelings/details where men focus on facts. Maybe with women you can keep doing it like you are doing and with men you can ask them how they learn. Most will say they learn hands on. So what I do is walk the guy through the task by having them do the work while I direct traffic so to speak...two different approaches...if this makes sense.

When I started the job I have now-the guy who trained me didn't have me watch him first. he put me right in the driver seat and had me follow his prompts. This made me much more nervous and since then I have not trained people that way. I find it as a room watcher=I prefer to watch the cycle from start to finish then attempt to drive. Maybe you can mix it up? Also don't forget not all people train their workers=and not everyone was brought up how to clean. I wasn't. my mother was a horrible house keeper and I only learned from watching a lady who I babysat her kids=she taught me how to clean where other people in my family never cleaned..don't ask. So I think it's a good thing to teach them how to clean/assemble. That way there is no mistake that you didn't show them and they can't play head games down the road if they turn out to be employees from hell.

Good luck to all who are seeking better jobs or at least less stressful annoying jobs. Sometimes I think taking a mindless labor job is easier on the head than a leadership/desk job. I prefer the mind numbing of labor work instead of being in charge of people...I had done management before and it wasn't a good fit for me. I had higher levels of respect and worked harder-the people under me just did enough to get by and that annoyed me to no end because it meant someone else had to pick up the slack which created a ticked off work force carrying the deadweight. So no I don't miss management type work. I am the one who will happily mop the floor all day with a hand mop. if it means people leave me the hell alone!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Good luck to all who are seeking better jobs or at least less stressful annoying jobs. Sometimes I think taking a mindless labor job is easier on the head than a leadership/desk job. I prefer the mind numbing of labor work instead of being in charge of people...I had done management before and it wasn't a good fit for me. I had higher levels of respect and worked harder-the people under me just did enough to get by and that annoyed me to no end because it meant someone else had to pick up the slack which created a ticked off work force carrying the deadweight. So no I don't miss management type work. I am the one who will happily mop the floor all day with a hand mop. if it means people leave me the hell alone!
I see your point. A mindless job wouldn't be so bad for me if there were also opportunities for career and personal development. I wasn't getting that in my previous job. My current job was supposed to have given me more opportunities but it's been nearly a year of "promises" by the supervisor and nothing has happened yet. It's not going to happen this year either because no more staff will be hired even with things quickly ramping up at the new facility. Some people like a mindless job where they don't have to think all day long but I need some enrichment so I don't do this
A desk job is actually pretty appealing to me at the moment. My lower back and knees are in a lot of pain and stiffness because I'm on my feet all day. And my carpal tunnel hurts. The only time I get to sit is at lunch.

The meeting went well, if over the allotted time. The team has gone through some pretty major changes since I left the department so everything discussed was new to me. One recent change to the team is that some people work a 4 day work week (Sunday through Wednesday or Wednesday through Saturday) and 9.25 hours each day instead of normal 7.5 hours. Not sure how I feel about that
Having 3 days off every week would be nice but working longer days might be
The hiring manager seems really into career development. He said that if there's a particular skill or track someone wants to do, he'll make it happen. I told him that the earliest I could possibly start would be April 1 because of the company policy that says you have to be in a position for at least one year before leaving for another internal position. Additional positions may open up this year so I could also just wait for another one. I'd still have to go through an actual interview with the hiring manager and the two team leads. My main worry is that my previous supervisor would find out that I'm applying for the position and will say negative things about me
My former supervisor and I were pretty much butting heads over everything for a good year or so right up until I left. I'll send my resume in so the hiring manager can have it on file and also check my training records to see what skills I have been trained in over the years. Ideally I'd like to stay with the company but if a position is available elsewhere and the benefits and such are comparable to what I'm currently getting, I may end up leaving.

Last edited:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well when it comes to guys=they don't take orders well from a women=I don't care how old they are. Women seem to be ok with learning from other women and men but women focus on detail where men just want to solve the problem. So that COULD be why he was annoyed=he was confused as there wasn't a problem to solve. Women focus on feelings/details where men focus on facts. Maybe with women you can keep doing it like you are doing and with men you can ask them how they learn. Most will say they learn hands on. So what I do is walk the guy through the task by having them do the work while I direct traffic so to speak...two different approaches...if this makes sense.

When I started the job I have now-the guy who trained me didn't have me watch him first. he put me right in the driver seat and had me follow his prompts. This made me much more nervous and since then I have not trained people that way. I find it as a room watcher=I prefer to watch the cycle from start to finish then attempt to drive. Maybe you can mix it up? Also don't forget not all people train their workers=and not everyone was brought up how to clean. I wasn't. my mother was a horrible house keeper and I only learned from watching a lady who I babysat her kids=she taught me how to clean where other people in my family never cleaned..don't ask. So I think it's a good thing to teach them how to clean/assemble. That way there is no mistake that you didn't show them and they can't play head games down the road if they turn out to be employees from hell.

When I first started working here, people had a tendency to assume I knew how to do things I hadn't been taught how to do. (Case in point--cleaning the cappuccino machine.) Some were easy to figure out how to clean (the roller grill, for instance), but I had to look up how to clean other things (once again, pointing to the cappuccino machine). I'm just trying not to fall into the same trap the people who "trained" me fell into. (Not sure why they fell into that trap--my resume contained nothing  like the job I'm doing now. 

I see your point. A mindless job wouldn't be so bad for me if there were also opportunities for career and personal development. I wasn't getting that in my previous job. My current job was supposed to have given me more opportunities but it's been nearly a year of "promises" by the supervisor and nothing has happened yet. It's not going to happen this year either because no more staff will be hired even with things quickly ramping up at the new facility. Some people like a mindless job where they don't have to think all day long but I need some enrichment so I don't do this
A desk job is actually pretty appealing to me at the moment. My lower back and knees are in a lot of pain and stiffness because I'm on my feet all day. And my carpal tunnel hurts. The only time I get to sit is at lunch.

The meeting went well, if over the allotted time. The team has gone through some pretty major changes since I left the department so everything discussed was new to me. One recent change to the team is that some people work a 4 day work week (Sunday through Wednesday or Wednesday through Saturday) and 9.25 hours each day instead of normal 7.5 hours. Not sure how I feel about that
Having 3 days off every week would be nice but working longer days might be
The hiring manager seems really into career development. He said that if there's a particular skill or track someone wants to do, he'll make it happen. I told him that the earliest I could possibly start would be April 1 because of the company policy that says you have to be in a position for at least one year before leaving for another internal position. Additional positions may open up this year so I could also just wait for another one. I'd still have to go through an actual interview with the hiring manager and the two team leads. My main worry is that my previous supervisor would find out that I'm applying for the position and will say negative things about me
My former supervisor and I were pretty much butting heads over everything for a good year or so right up until I left. I'll send my resume in so the hiring manager can have it on file and also check my training records to see what skills I have been trained in over the years. Ideally I'd like to stay with the company but if a position is available elsewhere and the benefits and such are comparable to what I'm currently getting, I may end up leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.