The water obsession

jubiemc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there I want to ask about something my cat does. My cat batman is obessed with water everytime anyone goes in the bathroom hes right behind them he hops up on the counter then meows at you until you turn on a small stream of water in the sink. Then he will put his head under it and lick up the water as it comes he also frequents the sinks as a place to curl up and sleep this includes bathroom and kitchen sink which he also wants you to turn the tap on so he can drink from it. He also joins you when you shower he sits on the ledge of the bath tub and licks the shower curtain and when you get out he licks or legs and feet. We bought him one of those fountain water dishes to try to keep him out of the kitchen sink but he mostly just plays with it. We also noticed he drinks alot of water like emptys his bowl twice a day atleast. Is this normal ? (None of our other cats do it) why could he be doing this.?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there I want to ask about something my cat does. My cat batman is obessed with water everytime anyone goes in the bathroom hes right behind them he hops up on the counter then meows at you until you turn on a small stream of water in the sink. Then he will put his head under it and lick up the water as it comes he also frequents the sinks as a place to curl up and sleep this includes bathroom and kitchen sink which he also wants you to turn the tap on so he can drink from it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jubiemc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont mind him sleeping in the sink I was more worried about excessive drinking ive had other cats but none so far except batman who love water this much and hes not spilling it it has no where to go but onto the floor and its not there

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He probably likes the faucet because the water is fresher and more fun that way. One of mine likes to play in running water too. How old is he? Has he always finished 2 bowls of water a day or is this something new? Are the bowls tiny?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!
Has he always finished 2 bowls of water a day or is this something new? Are the bowls tiny?
Yes to these questions and the one asking if he spills.  I lost a cat to kidney failure (as well as a few other things) years ago and one of the signs was an increase in thirst that came on over the course of a year.  If it is new I would consider a vet appointment sooner rather than later.  My cat was 10-11 years old when this happened.  I didn't know what I know now or we'd have had her at the vet sooner.  

I have one cat now who bites my hair when it is wet; but she's never licked my legs.  We have a fountain because she used to splash so much in the water bowl.  Cats aren't able to see things so close to their noses; so they sometimes splash to help judge distance.  She stopped the splashing with the fountain.  It sounds like the opposite is true for you!  There are also some cats who just like to play in water!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he eats dry food then he will drink water, but if he is on a wet diet and is drinking that much I'd take him for a vet check.  Cats are well-adapted to getting all their water from their diet as they were originally desert animals.

jubiemc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He always has I dont think hes having any kidney failure or health issues hes been to rhe vet recently as he was just fixed I was curious if other cats had this infatuation with water.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He always has I dont think hes having any kidney failure or health issues hes been to rhe vet recently as he was just fixed I was curious if other cats had this infatuation with water.
One of mine likes to splash in running water and play in the wet sink or tub. Both my cats like to rub against my wet legs after a shower. I think they want to mark me with their scent again

As far as the drinking goes, it does sound like he drinks a lot. Especially if he eats wet food. A blood test at the vet will tell you if he has any issues causing this.

It will give you peace of mind.

Do you have any pictures of Batman? I love that name for a kitty.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound to me that he is drinking excessively and I would look into the whys by checking with your vet. I also have a cat who is obsessed with faucets! Wendall :rub:. Oh goodness, he is forever on the counter waiting for the faucet to run both in the kitchen, laundry room and the bathroom. It is hilarious because he will look upside down up into the faucet looking for droplets. :rofl: He is not interested in drinking the water but more interested in playing with the droplets. I have taken some photos of him doing this. It does get annoying though. :lol2: Wendall constantly at the faucet ALL THE TIME!!!! He gets in my way, but I love him so that I don't mind. He is too cute. :heart3:

Last edited:

jubiemc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's a picture of batman having some treats :)

Last edited:

jubiemc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cant figure out how to upload an image

jubiemc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he always has drank this much, hes 8.5 months old eats dry food and wet food (once a day).

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is mostly eating dry food then he is probably OK, and it would be very unusual for a cat of his age to have kidney problems.

He is beautiful and I also adore black cats.