The Thanksgiving Thread

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Perhaps carrots? Maybe done with maple syrup and cinnamon or butter and dill?
Sometimes when I want to be festive, I cook my carrots and then melt a little butter and brown sugar to glaze them with. I just shake them around in the melted butter mixture. I usually cut a few green seedless grapes in half and toss those with the carrots in the butter mixture. It's quite delicious actually.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I will be making it. The ironic thing is my relative asked me to bring this to Thanksgiving and then remarked I would probably have to home make it since I don't buy things in cans without all the crap they come with and that they were looking forward to fresh! Now I don't have to look for a recipe that has been tried and was good, this is way too easy.
I have only made it once so if you have suggestions, please let me know. The cranberries were pretty much dissolved after two hours of cooking, so if you want some whole cranberries in it, you could add a few until they are cooked but still firm. Remember it will make the sauce more tart, though.

Next time I am going to add some pecans... I think that would be fantastic.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I have only made it once so if you have suggestions, please let me know. The cranberries were pretty much dissolved after two hours of cooking, so if you want some whole cranberries in it, you could add a few until they are cooked but still firm. Remember it will make the sauce more tart, though.

Next time I am going to add some pecans... I think that would be fantastic.
They weren't dissolved too much, I had to strain them still. We shall see if they pass the taste test here, it smelled pretty good. I have never once eaten cranberry sauce that I remember. I will try it this year.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work tomorrow, 12 noon to 8:30pm so I miss out a bit. Mom is having me over before work so I can get a plate o' food to take with me. I get first pickins!

Found out today that I get paid double tomorrow so that's a huge blessing. Will help with Seb's ultrasound fund

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

spatulahandle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are going to church and then going to my moms house for Thanksgiving dinner. I am making home made cresent rolls, stuffed celery and a veggie tray. My mom is making turkey, ham, sweet potatos, and stuffing. A friend is making green bean cassarole and pumpkin pie cake. No new recipes this year.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite holiday.

A small "mountain" of turkey, mashed potatos, green been casserole, rolls (and anything else I can cram on my plate), pumkin pie. Food, football and a nap...doesn't get much better than that.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
tomorrow, we're all meeting at my parents' house. i made a key lime chess cake yesterday, & sautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]ed mushrooms & onions today for my version of green bean casserole [it's not a casserole at all, but it has many of the same ingredients]. tomorrow at their house i'll zap the green beans, then combine everything.
i'm also bringing some bread, but it's store-bought. not sure why i'm bringing 3 things, when my younger brother [the other single person] only has to bring pumpkin pie... i think it's a man/woman thing!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm staying at home by myself (got un-invited to Thanksgiving). I rented 8 movies & bought 2 large pizzas.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK this is my menu for Thanksgiving. I did get the $20 gift certificate from work.

Roast Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Candied Yams
Peas
Cranberry Sauce
Olives
Rolls
Martinelli's Sparkling Cider

For Dessert

Apple and Pumpkin Pie with whipped Cream

After the holidays, I start my diet big time. I won a 3 month membership to a local gym, so I can shed the pounds quickly.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Okay, I made it. It isn't of a jell consistency though, even in the fridge for hours. Is it suppose to be?
I know the canned is.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm staying at home by myself (got un-invited to Thanksgiving). I rented 8 movies & bought 2 large pizzas.
I am sorry. How did that happen?

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone usually brings a 7 Up salad to dinner. I forgot all about it but I do like it. We also have a lot of finger foods to snack on too. Things like veggies, chips, cheeses, deviled eggs.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOps, forgot the menu.

Mom is making it all as far as I know. Turkey, Stove Top stuffing
, gravy, candied yams (no marshmallows), her mashed potato salad, 3 pies (pumpkin, peach and something else), mashed potatoes, rolls - think that's all.

My fave is a bit of turkey, bunches of stuffing with gravy and the yams

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlies family decided not to get together this year.....whew!
So, by the time all was said and done we cooked and delivered/had picked up

4 turkeys
three hams
and the following sides for @100 people
broccoli salad
potato salad
slaw
baked mashed potatoes
sweet potato casserole
giblet gravy
homeade rolls
green lima beans
pineapple cheese casserole
squash casserole

Desserts included
white chocolate cheesecake
strawberry pretzel
coconut cake (the kind with the cooked 7-minute type frosting)

Needless to say, hub and I are beat......we came home and had a bologna sandwich...he's asleep, and I'm headed there too!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter has to work today so we are getting together at my Mom's on Sunday for a non-tradtional pot luck.

My DH works every Thanksgiving and doesn't get the whole dinner experience. So I am making him and I a traditional Thanksgiving. He actually got off early and is taking a much needed nap.

My Turkey has one more hour in the oven before I take off the lid and start browning. I'm making Candied yams (not from a can) mashed potatos and gravy, and a corn dish that I'm trying for the first time. Also pumpkin pie, but I cheated and bought that from a bakery.

We are going to have a LOT of left overs!

I'm looking forward to having turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce sandwiches for lunch!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Okay, I made it. It isn't of a jell consistency though, even in the fridge for hours. Is it suppose to be?
I know the canned is.
The canned stuff is full of corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup and that is why it is so jellied. The real stuff is a sauce, it should be thickened but like most sauces, you won't be able to cut it with a knife!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitties have nice, full bellies. I brought them home some turkey moistened with a bit of gravy and warmed it up some. They'll be laying down for a nice nap soon.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still at work, but we had a little potluck dinner. I made the Pumpkin Cobbler that Helen gave us back on page two (I think). It was delish!
I also made stuffing, which was well received, but not nearly so much as the cobbler.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm back from Thanksgiving at my BIL's, and it wasn't so bad. I miss my family's traditions, but it was OK.

We also realized today that this is the first Thanksgiving that DH and I have spent together.
Even though we've been together for 17 years, I always went to my parents and he either stayed at home alone (by HIS choice...he was always invited to come with me) or he went to his brother's in southern Illinois. Next year he's coming with me to Mom & Dad's.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had Thanksgiving here!

What was on the menu was :

- turkey
- stuffing (both stove top and from the inside of the turkey)
- raspberry jello fruit salad
- black and green olives
- celery with cream cheese and some with pimento spread
- a relish tray
- candied yams
- rolls
- mashed potatos and gravy
- 2 chocolate creme pies
- pumpkin pie
- a pumpkin cake with caramel and cream cheese icing (store bought)
- oceanspray jellied cranberries

It was very yummy!
I am still stuffed.
I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving with their furkids and families.