The terrible two's!

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I needed to talk/vent/get advice from people who understand that pets are more than just animals, and that they all have their own personalities and behavioral issues. I even contemplated putting this in the behavior section of the forums, but its about my dog, so I didn't.

Here's what's going on: Bjourne will be 2 in December. He is a siberian husky/lab mix, and hes a sweetheart. He is just a love bug...but here lately, my sweet dog has turned into a hell hound! He is usually well behaved...I mean sure, he misbehaves, but hes a dog..he's going to get into trouble at times. I am now 3½ months pregnant, and I think he senses this change and it is contributing to his rotton behavior. We rarely let him sleep in our bed because 1) He weighs 75 pounds, and 2) I was concerned that he would chew up everything in the house out of sheer boredom, so we put him in his kennel at night and during the day for the few hours we are at work. I started the habit of him sleeping in the bed when my husband was at work during the night, and I let Bjourne sleep on the bed with me. He did fine. We have let him sleep on our bed on other occasions. But here recently, he roots himself onto the bed WAY before we go to bed and refuses to move. He antagonizes the cats. Like if they try to drink out of his water bowl, he pushes them away, or he gets in their faces until they smack him in his hardheaded head, and he is just all around being bratty.

Well, last night was the catalyst. My husband has been complaining that Bjourne ignores his orders. We spent a lot of time training him with the same command, such as if we are out walking and he tries to put trash or something in his mouth, all we have to say is "No, leave it." And he will, or we tell him to sit, or lay down, he knows to hit the bell on the door if he has to go potty (this he taught himself.) and generally speaking, he is a well behaved dog. I dont know, maybe he sees the cats running amuck and he decided he could do it too. So, last night, I was journaling about my pregnancy and Bjourne came and jumped up on the foot of the bed. My husband got things together and was trying to take Bjourne out for the last time that night. Bjourne refused to go. He refused to leave the bed. My husband tugged on his collar, Bjourne balked, he even went so drastic as to physically pick up this dog and try to carry him to the front door. The whole time Bjournes legs were kicking and flailing, and I was trying not to laugh. No sooner did my husband put him down and Bjourne was back on the bed, looking smug AND defiant. So, I explained to my husband, that I sometimes get some newspaper and roll it up and tell him I will spank him if he doesnt do what I am asking. I have only had to tap him once on the butt in the whole time I have had him. I don't hit my animals, and Bjourne came from a shelter where he had been abused. When I got him as a puppy, he had cuts that were healing on his head from where he had been hit with the but of a pistol, so I am beyond hesitant to physically discipline him.
My husband tried it, and Bjourne literally ignored him. So, I got out of bed, took the newspaper, banged it on my hand, looked him in the eye and told him he needed to go outside and potty, NOW. And I said it firm. He went right away. He came back to bed, and we had no problems with him.
At 5:45 this morning, I hear my husband fighting with him again to go out and potty. Once again, Jeremy did the same thing that I did, and Bjourne just ignored him. The minute I sat up and got his attention and told him to go potty, he went.
I don't understand...I think my dog is going through the terrible 2's!!!! And I have to re-train him to stay out of the bed, along with the cats because of the baby. I want to be fair to them, and have no intentions of giving any of the pets up. They are my babies, too.

Thanks for listening, I just needed to vent. Other people are like "Hes just a dog. Spank him and be done with it." But its not that simple. I think he senses the change and I think hes more clingy when he knows I dont feel well.

I will try to post a picture of him tonight.

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
your dog (hes really still a puppy) knows that the house is changing and is using it to his advantage-- he is trying to establish his domaniance as alpha dog-- With a dog like this you need to make him work for everything. He needs to preform to get anything-- i.e. My dog must SIT before they are allowed to eat, and they must sit before and while i am walking out the door and they can only come/follow me if i say OK. He cannot get on any furniture as this elevates his position -- start this now or you will have more problems when your child is born and starts walking and crawling. Your dog should sit and wait before his meals are served to him and he should not eat until you tell him "OK" or whatever release word you choose. We use Ok in our house with our German Shepherds and Chinese Crested. Our male GSD Dobber tried to do the domainance thing once-- and i put him in his place with training. Your dog should NEVER go thru ANY doorway especially outside before YOU or your husband do. You may have to get drastic with it. Making your dog sit and wait and feed him kibble by kibble ( if you feed dog food) You should be able to take ANYTHING away from your dog at ANY time without your dog growling or showing any aggression at all. BOTH of yall need to start working on training him NOW. I would highly suggest putting a leash on him while hes in the house and keeping him tethered to you when you can watch him-- when you cant watch him he needs to be kenneld Also, do not let him on the bed or any furniture not even to sleep, as this elevates his position in your pack.

NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) is a great program to help train your dog to respect you. Heres the link to a website on it : NILIF program.This is a program that you can do at home as well as on walks and in the park. Its hard to be tough like this sometimes but with a dog his size you need to nip his behaviour in the bud now.

BOTH of you need to do this consistently-- He knows already that he doesnt have to listen to your hubby-- he needs to learn that it doesnt matter who the command comes from either you or your hubby that it HAS to be followed.

I used to train dogs professionally and have used NILIF many many times and it has turned many dogs from hellions into exceptionally well behaved dogs. If you would like some suggestions on books or literature let me know and ill get you a list of titles that many dog trainers recommend. I wish you luck! and congrats on the pregnancy!

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about dogs, but from people I know with dogs, apparently the fact that he listens to you means he sees you as the alpha dog, head of the pack.

That's all I can tell you. Sorry I can't help you more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by amitya

your dog (hes really still a puppy) knows that the house is changing and is using it to his advantage-- he is trying to establish his domaniance as alpha dog-- With a dog like this you need to make him work for everything. He needs to preform to get anything-- i.e. My dog must SIT before they are allowed to eat, and they must sit before and while i am walking out the door and they can only come/follow me if i say OK. He cannot get on any furniture as this elevates his position -- start this now or you will have more problems when your child is born and starts walking and crawling. Your dog should sit and wait before his meals are served to him and he should not eat until you tell him "OK" or whatever release word you choose. We use Ok in our house with our German Shepherds and Chinese Crested. Our male GSD Dobber tried to do the domainance thing once-- and i put him in his place with training. Your dog should NEVER go thru ANY doorway especially outside before YOU or your husband do. You may have to get drastic with it. Making your dog sit and wait and feed him kibble by kibble ( if you feed dog food) You should be able to take ANYTHING away from your dog at ANY time without your dog growling or showing any aggression at all. BOTH of yall need to start working on training him NOW. I would highly suggest putting a leash on him while hes in the house and keeping him tethered to you when you can watch him-- when you cant watch him he needs to be kenneld Also, do not let him on the bed or any furniture not even to sleep, as this elevates his position in your pack.

NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) is a great program to help train your dog to respect you. Heres the link to a website on it : NILIF program.This is a program that you can do at home as well as on walks and in the park. Its hard to be tough like this sometimes but with a dog his size you need to nip his behaviour in the bud now.

BOTH of you need to do this consistently-- He knows already that he doesnt have to listen to your hubby-- he needs to learn that it doesnt matter who the command comes from either you or your hubby that it HAS to be followed.

I used to train dogs professionally and have used NILIF many many times and it has turned many dogs from hellions into exceptionally well behaved dogs. If you would like some suggestions on books or literature let me know and ill get you a list of titles that many dog trainers recommend. I wish you luck! and congrats on the pregnancy!
Thank you, I am excited about this pregnancy!

Everything you said makes sense, and I have thought of it already. He has to sit before he gets his treats and he has to lay down until I set his food down and tell him "ok". We established that when we first got him. He still does that. He does not go out ANY door unless I go first and I say "Come on!" He sits and waits. He sits when I put the leash on him. He doesnt jump anymore because we taught him not to. But you are correct, we have to nip this defiance in the bud, or else we will really have an issue with him later. He does listen to me. I have no problem with him. And its recent hes stopped listening to Jeremy. As in the past few days.

Any ideas or suggestions that you can give me on how to work with him and Jeremy to get them to communicate better would be great!
And yes, Bjourne is still a puppy, and he has that siberian stubborn streak as well, so we have to work with that too!

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
since hes listening to you ok-- get Jeremy to do EVERYTHING with him-- taking him out-- FEEDING him kibble by kibble from his hand. If you want the dog to sit ask jeremy to tell him to sit. Jeremy should be doing EVERYTHING with this dog-- until your dog realizes that he depends on jeremy for everything. Jeremy plays with him, Jeremy feeds him, jeremy grooms him,bathes him, walks him, everything. Hubby needs to start using a very stern authoritative voice when asking your dog to do something-- if the dog doesnt do it the first time, hubby should correct the dog by showing him what he wants him to do and then expecting it every time he asks that command of the dog. Like if your dog is on the bed Jeremy should say "off" or down or whatever command yall use and if the dog refuses jeremy needs to pick the dog up and physically put him on the ground. I understand the weight issue totally because my two GSDs are in excess of 90 pounds each. They are big dogs. They wield a lot of force and power. Just be stern and dont give in. Dont forget treats and positive reinforcement though, if your dog does what hubby asks then dog should get a treat or head rubs or pets to reward him or even a good dog. I dont know if your dog is a food hound or not-- some do better with food rewards others do better with hands on rewards and some even respond better to just voice rewards higher pitched Good Boy!

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vespacat

I don't know much about dogs, but from people I know with dogs, apparently the fact that he listens to you means he sees you as the alpha dog, head of the pack.

That's all I can tell you. Sorry I can't help you more.
Yes, I heard that, too. And his behavior gets worse after hes around my brother-in-laws dog. Sunday, my brother-in-law's dog jumps for his treats...well Bjourne has been trained to sit for his treats, and he wasnt getting any treats because he wouldnt jump for my brother-in-law, so I said, "He won't jump for it, because he knows hes not supposed to, because I am pregnant, and I dont allow him to jump." And that was that. So, I am sure seeing Lucky's negative behavior and that its acceptible to them, maybe Bjourne thinks he can get away with it to.

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by amitya

since hes listening to you ok-- get Jeremy to do EVERYTHING with him-- taking him out-- FEEDING him kibble by kibble from his hand. If you want the dog to sit ask jeremy to tell him to sit. Jeremy should be doing EVERYTHING with this dog-- until your dog realizes that he depends on jeremy for everything. Jeremy plays with him, Jeremy feeds him, jeremy grooms him,bathes him, walks him, everything. Hubby needs to start using a very stern authoritative voice when asking your dog to do something-- if the dog doesnt do it the first time, hubby should correct the dog by showing him what he wants him to do and then expecting it every time he asks that command of the dog. Like if your dog is on the bed Jeremy should say "off" or down or whatever command yall use and if the dog refuses jeremy needs to pick the dog up and physically put him on the ground. I understand the weight issue totally because my two GSDs are in excess of 90 pounds each. They are big dogs. They wield a lot of force and power. Just be stern and dont give in.
Thats my opinion as well. My husband takes night classes at a college nearby, so at night, its me and Bjourne. But I try to get Jeremy to do all of that, and I will be honest, he doesnt use a very stern voice. He raises his voice, and that doesnt help. I however, look Bjourne in the eye and give my command. And he should physically remove him from the bed as well. 75 pounds isnt much for my husband, but thats over half my weight! We do feed him dog food...I think it Purina Pro Plan, so, its enough that he could feed him piece by piece. We dont feed him canned food because it doesnt do well in his stomach...he has a VERY sensitive stomach, to a point I have to watch what kind of treats I buy.
Bjourne also love dental chews, the little white things he can chew on, and I make him sit and take it from my hand. He does. I think the issue is that Jeremy isnt as consistent as I am. This behavior in part is our own fault, but I want to get it under control before this baby is born!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by diane8704

I needed to talk/vent/get advice from people who understand that pets are more than just animals, and that they all have their own personalities and behavioral issues. I even contemplated putting this in the behavior section of the forums, but its about my dog, so I didn't.

Here's what's going on: Bjourne will be 2 in December. He is a siberian husky/lab mix, and hes a sweetheart. He is just a love bug...but here lately, my sweet dog has turned into a hell hound! He is usually well behaved...I mean sure, he misbehaves, but hes a dog..he's going to get into trouble at times. I am now 3½ months pregnant, and I think he senses this change and it is contributing to his rotton behavior. We rarely let him sleep in our bed because 1) He weighs 75 pounds, and 2) I was concerned that he would chew up everything in the house out of sheer boredom, so we put him in his kennel at night and during the day for the few hours we are at work. I started the habit of him sleeping in the bed when my husband was at work during the night, and I let Bjourne sleep on the bed with me. He did fine. We have let him sleep on our bed on other occasions. But here recently, he roots himself onto the bed WAY before we go to bed and refuses to move. He antagonizes the cats. Like if they try to drink out of his water bowl, he pushes them away, or he gets in their faces until they smack him in his hardheaded head, and he is just all around being bratty.

Well, last night was the catalyst. My husband has been complaining that Bjourne ignores his orders. We spent a lot of time training him with the same command, such as if we are out walking and he tries to put trash or something in his mouth, all we have to say is "No, leave it." And he will, or we tell him to sit, or lay down, he knows to hit the bell on the door if he has to go potty (this he taught himself.) and generally speaking, he is a well behaved dog. I dont know, maybe he sees the cats running amuck and he decided he could do it too. So, last night, I was journaling about my pregnancy and Bjourne came and jumped up on the foot of the bed. My husband got things together and was trying to take Bjourne out for the last time that night. Bjourne refused to go. He refused to leave the bed. My husband tugged on his collar, Bjourne balked, he even went so drastic as to physically pick up this dog and try to carry him to the front door. The whole time Bjournes legs were kicking and flailing, and I was trying not to laugh. No sooner did my husband put him down and Bjourne was back on the bed, looking smug AND defiant. So, I explained to my husband, that I sometimes get some newspaper and roll it up and tell him I will spank him if he doesnt do what I am asking. I have only had to tap him once on the butt in the whole time I have had him. I don't hit my animals, and Bjourne came from a shelter where he had been abused. When I got him as a puppy, he had cuts that were healing on his head from where he had been hit with the but of a pistol, so I am beyond hesitant to physically discipline him.
My husband tried it, and Bjourne literally ignored him. So, I got out of bed, took the newspaper, banged it on my hand, looked him in the eye and told him he needed to go outside and potty, NOW. And I said it firm. He went right away. He came back to bed, and we had no problems with him.
At 5:45 this morning, I hear my husband fighting with him again to go out and potty. Once again, Jeremy did the same thing that I did, and Bjourne just ignored him. The minute I sat up and got his attention and told him to go potty, he went.
I don't understand...I think my dog is going through the terrible 2's!!!! And I have to re-train him to stay out of the bed, along with the cats because of the baby. I want to be fair to them, and have no intentions of giving any of the pets up. They are my babies, too.

Thanks for listening, I just needed to vent. Other people are like "Hes just a dog. Spank him and be done with it." But its not that simple. I think he senses the change and I think hes more clingy when he knows I dont feel well.

I will try to post a picture of him tonight.
I have heard that dogs respond better to the opposite sex, honestly, and with you being pregnant, he may be trying to assert himself as alpha over your husband. I've heard of some behaviour modification techniques to make him respect your husband more but I am loathe to explain it because it may not work especially with a formerly abused dog. Has he been fixed yet?

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he HAS already asserted himself over your husband!!

I think getting your husband to do everything for the dog is the right thing to do, to let the dog know that he is below both you and your husband in the ranks. Because he must also learn that the baby is above him as well when he/she comes!!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your husband wrestle with Bjourne? When playing, Jeremy's head must be above Bjourne's. Never wrestle and let the dog be on top, or you are training him that he is the boss. This is not a democracy. Humans are alpha to the dog, or you will have probs when baby comes.

Maybe Jeremy can feed him 10 kibbles of food in the morning before work. He has to let the dog know he is boss. And for the record, spanking doesn't work very well for dogs. But reinforcing that he is not boss does.

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

I have heard that dogs respond better to the opposite sex, honestly, and with you being pregnant, he may be trying to assert himself as alpha over your husband. I've heard of some behaviour modification techniques to make him respect your husband more but I am loathe to explain it because it may not work especially with a formerly abused dog. Has he been fixed yet?
Yes, Bjourne has been fixed. He was fixed before I adopted him. And the fact that he was formerly abused makes it a little more difficult. Tapping him with newspaper works, because the noise irritates him and I think it hurts his feelings that I would do that.

I think he HAS already asserted himself over your husband!!

I think getting your husband to do everything for the dog is the right thing to do, to let the dog know that he is below both you and your husband in the ranks. Because he must also learn that the baby is above him as well when he/she comes!!
I think you are right...and hes more protective of me when he knows I dont feel well. He knows that hes below me, but hes decided he doesnt have to listen to jeremy.

Does your husband wrestle with Bjourne? When playing, Jeremy's head must be above Bjourne's. Never wrestle and let the dog be on top, or you are training him that he is the boss. This is not a democracy. Humans are alpha to the dog, or you will have probs when baby comes.

Maybe Jeremy can feed him 10 kibbles of food in the morning before work. He has to let the dog know he is boss. And for the record, spanking doesn't work very well for dogs. But reinforcing that he is not boss does.
My husband doesnt wrestle with Bjourne, not like on the floor playing, but the play around, and Jeremy keeps his head above Bjournes. Jeremy takes Bjourne outside in the morning before he goes to work and gets his kennel ready, and then I put Bjourne in the kennel before I go to work.
We dont "spank" him. Not in the direct sense of the term, because as I stated before, he was abused. We would roll up newspaper and bang it against our palm and the noise usually works, only twice have I tapped him on the butt to get his attention, but not even enough to hurt him, I think just the gesture hurts his feelings, and its rare that I have to do it, because he usually behaves on command. Jeremy started last night with commanding him and Bjourne did better, but he still wanted to be in our bedroom. We are working with him, but its just a slow process and its taking patience.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everyone has given you such great advice. The only thing I was wondering is if you have considered taking him to oberdience classes. I know they offer them at Petsmart. A friend of mine had a dog who was extremely well behaved until about age 3. She enrolled him in classes, worked with him quite a bit actually doing some of the things I have seen mentioned here and the dogs behavior really improved.
I was just thinking they might really be of help since in your situation because time is of the essence. Soon you'll have your hands full with a new baby!
Congratulations by the way!