The simplest transition I have ever witnessed!

bonobosoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It must be to do with his young age, but Sanjiv is a huge meat fan with no effort! 

I wanted to feed him raw from the start, I started off with kitten biscuits with one meat meal every other day but I'm definitely doing it for good now. His first raw meal was chunks of mutton scraps from an Asian butchers, and he knew right away it was yummy food! Even when it's cold he loves it. Though most of his food has been sheep based, the other day I gave him his first bone in chicken wing and he knew exactly what to do with that and he has since had a piece of chicken back to gnaw on. He knows that it's food, and I'm surprised because of the stories I've heard about niave kitties staring at their meat like it's an alien.

So today I bought him enough food supplies to last a good few months, I'm thawing it in the fridge so I can cut into portions for each week and frefreeze them again. The only thing that has thawed properly is a bag of 10 fuzzy baby mice. So for a treat I gave him two (they are only tiny, so it's not a huge amount) and he could see as soon as I took them out of the bag who they were for. It was his first time trying mouse and he was utterly gleeful, he wolfed it down in 5 bites! And he twirled about like a little excited kid and he keeps begging me for another one!

Everday my cat does something else to make me proud. I could hold him up in the air like Simba! 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is awesome! It does seem like younger kittens take to raw food much more easily and quickly than older kitties. I think older kitties get conditioned as to what's food and what's not and get set in their ways, whereas younger kitties instinctively recognize raw as good food. Congratulations to you and your little carnivore!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonobosoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My best friend always tell me off for bragging and says I seem like a snobby hipster, but I can't help it. It's like the pride I'd have for my own offspring. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My best friend always tell me off for bragging and says I seem like a snobby hipster, but I can't help it. It's like the pride I'd have for my own offspring. 
I think most of us on this site can relate.
It's great to have a place to talk about our kitties.

bonobosoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hm, it seems that when I make a slit along the middle of the mouse he eats it fast. If the mouse is left whole he nibbles at it and throws it about. 

bonobosoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG MY FAMILY ARE INFURIATING. I was looking for something out of my hoard that was thawed enough for his bed time snack (I shall sort it tomorrow as it's still too hard in the middle) and my mum 's like "he needs his KITTEN FOOOOOOD".

Um mum, that is kitten food you daft thing. 

meranaldar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is awesome! It does seem like younger kittens take to raw food much more easily and quickly than older kitties. I think older kitties get conditioned as to what's food and what's not and get set in their ways, whereas younger kitties instinctively recognize raw as good food. Congratulations to you and your little carnivore!
I think the bold, underlined part could easily be changed to 'humans'. People too often get conditioned as to what is 'proper' cat food and set in their ways.

Are there any guides to transitioning people over to raw feeding their pets?

My father just thinks I'm making feeding more trouble for no good reason. Though I think I'm convincing my mother to start feeding their dog raw food, be interesting to see what dad says to that.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the bold, underlined part could easily be changed to 'humans'. People too often get conditioned as to what is 'proper' cat food and set in their ways.

Are there any guides to transitioning people over to raw feeding their pets?
I wish! Someone should write a primer on Raw Feeding 101. I know my husband could use one! He's fine with me doing it but thinks I'm a little nuts too.

bonobosoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mum still thinks raw chicken bones are a choking hazard, but that of course only applies to cooked bones. If bones were a choking hazard cats would chose to be veggies by now.

She's horrified when I give Sanjiv wings and such. 

bonobosoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to do. I even read a quote to her form the RSPCA website about the health benefits of meaty chicken bones, and she's still not excepting she's wrong. 

bonobosoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indeed it does! He looks so adorable when he gets excited about his next meal. 

face

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha! That's great! One of our cats who lives outside LOVES spring because she can catch voles and mice. Eating the head is her favorite part...

I'm still amazed at how many people think cows milk is good for cats. Sure, most like it, but I've seen some pretty bad digestion problems because of it.