The Secret Santa Discussion Thread

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Sorry Fran, but my recipient has confirmed receipt of the package.
Right country, but a little to the East.
Well, phooey! Guess I just have to be patient a little longer...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got an anonymous message last week from my SS that my gift should arrive by today

However, the mail person has been and gone and only left me junk mail and bills.

Unfortunately between my work schedule and the fact that they conflict with the post office hours combined with their holiday closures, I won't be able to pick it up when it does arrive, until January 5th at the earliest. I do have January 30th off, but it's my only day off that week and I have so much crammed in to do that day that there is no way I can get to the post office. So January 5th will be the earliest.

I'll be sure to post pictures when I do get it

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohhhh bummer! I guess all the mail is being delayed. Your Christmas wil be spread out over a couple of weeks

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my package out yesterday and sent it priority. But the weather has been so bad here there may not be much going in and out of the airport.
And my recipient will have a couple more things coming at a later date. One of them I ordered, the order got lost and I reordered and am waiting. But they will be getting the bulk of their gifts in the next few days (I hope!)

On the other hand... I'm still waiting anxiously to hear from my Secret Santa!
I didn't think about it much until the last 2 days and now I'm getting really excited! I better keep myself busy this weekend, wrapping presents for Mason and my new grand daughter, Mary!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Ohhhh bummer! I guess all the mail is being delayed. Your Christmas wil be spread out over a couple of weeks
True! There is always Ukrainian Christmas

Christmas mail season is awful up here. Last year I won a CD around the 12th of December. It was mailed out a week later and didn't arrive here until almost the end of January. Border customs is terrible with packages coming into Canada.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I can celebrate Christmas (or my birthday) any day of the year!
Me too! I'm not buying my Christmas or Birthday gift to myself until March or April. I plan on buying a regular bed and a bedroom suite. I'm tired of my water bed and I've never had a real dresser that actually functioned to hold clothing. My current dresser is one that was left in an apartment I moved into back in 1994. It was beat up back then, but now the bottoms of the drawers fall out and the drawers fall into each other. I use it to store stuff and have my clothes in those plastic bins with drawers that are on wheels.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Me too! I'm not buying my Christmas or Birthday gift to myself until March or April. I plan on buying a regular bed and a bedroom suite. I'm tired of my water bed and I've never had a real dresser that actually functioned to hold clothing. My current dresser is one that was left in an apartment I moved into back in 1994. It was beat up back then, but now the bottoms of the drawers fall out and the drawers fall into each other. I use it to store stuff and have my clothes in those plastic bins with drawers that are on wheels.
do y'all have IKEA in Canada? i bought a bunch of stuff there, & i've been quite pleased - both quality-wise & price-wise...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

do y'all have IKEA in Canada? i bought a bunch of stuff there, & i've been quite pleased - both quality-wise & price-wise...
Yep, we have IKEA -- at least in the major centres. They have good stuff. It's a while since we've bought any furniture, but whenever we've bought there, we've been pleased.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We are getting an Ikea in Winnipeg. It's apparently going to be the largest one in Canada. It is scheduled to be built between 2010 and 2013.

However, I don't like the look of their furniture. To me it looks like college dorm type stuff or stuff that you buy when you are first starting out on your own. It has a "cheap" look to it IMHO.

I prefer a more traditional look. Here are some styles that I like:

http://www.gowfb.com/images/Nevis_Co...1186713653.jpg

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/1183916..._Furniture.jpg

http://furniturefromhome.com/images/...x600/image.jpg

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/454407...Series_HOT.jpg

http://furniturestoresguide.com/imag..._furniture.jpg

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm... what about these?
bed 1
bed 2
bed 3
bed 4
bed 5
all by IKEA, btw... personally, i don't care for any of those. but my preference is for modern, not traditional. my bed looks similar to this one [altho it's an inherited piece, not an IKEA one & also has a bookcase headboard, similar to this one except w/sliding doors - also has a much finer grain to the wood]. it has a blond finish like most of my furniture.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!
It's here! It's here!!

I've never in my life gotten a delivery on a Sunday!! I almost missed it too

My phone rang at 9:30am and I didn't get to it fast enough and no message was left. I tried the "who called me last" and redialed the number but there was no answer.

I was just on my way into the shower when I heard someone walking down the hall and the rustle of paper. I peeked out the door and saw a delivery slip on the knob and heard the person walking back to the elevator. Here I am stark naked, with the door cracked open and I'm yelling " Wait! Delivery Person! Hello! I'm here!"
I heard foot steps coming back and I quickly ran to get my bathrobe.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

hmm... what about these?
bed 1
bed 2
bed 3
bed 4
bed 5
all by IKEA, btw... personally, i don't care for any of those. but my preference is for modern, not traditional. my bed looks similar to this one [altho it's an inherited piece, not an IKEA one & also has a bookcase headboard, similar to this one except w/sliding doors - also has a much finer grain to the wood]. it has a blond finish like most of my furniture.
No, I don't like any of those.

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, I don't like any of those.
I don't know if you have an Ashley Furniture store there but we just got one.

I bought an Ashley Bedroom set almost 2 yrs ago before we got our store here from a local furniture store.

I LOVE IT still!

We got the bed, dresser with mirror and chest.
Discontinued now.

check out the detail!!
http://www.furniturexo.com/Glen-Eagl...et-p-9251.html

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjk5900

I don't know if you have an Ashley Furniture store there but we just got one.

I bought an Ashley Bedroom set almost 2 yrs ago before we got our store here from a local furniture store.

I LOVE IT still!

We got the bed, dresser with mirror and chest.
Discontinued now.

check out the detail!!
http://www.furniturexo.com/Glen-Eagl...et-p-9251.html
That's gorgeous! The bed frame is a bit too big for my taste..and space, but it's a style that I love.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

That's gorgeous! The bed frame is a bit too big for my taste..and space, but it's a style that I love.
it is beautiful, even if it's not my taste.
my cousin has a 4-poster rice bed that's simply gorgeous, too - but way too formal for me. hers is closer to this one in color.