The "perfect Portions" Trend

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

Less food than the small cans (2.6oz vs 3oz), more plastic, messy opening and worst of all, it is more expensive!

Iams did it, Sheba did it and now I see Nutro is doing it too? Aslan only likes the chicken and liver variety from them and now it only comes in those dumb pouches.

Just what is this? Grrrrr

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's because most cat owners only feed wet food as a treat, their cat won't eat a whole 3-oz can at a time, and their cat won't eat refrigerated food. We have spoiled cats! LOL

I would just say don't buy that variety, but if your cat's favorite flavor only comes in that size, that would stink :(. Maybe if you contact the company and express your displeasure, they'll consider offering that flavor in the larger cans too.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd be okay if they had the perfect portion tray and a bigger portion or share size alternative. I have three guys who do only eat small amounts so two trays split between the three is the right amount. But I'd like to be able to buy one larger container to split to save plastic and waste.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only good thing about the Sheba packaging is whenever mine hear me crack the portions apart they come running. Even if one wasn’t eating too well that day the sound of that packaging seems to whet their appetites. It works for all three of mine. When my sitter is taking care of them and I’m traveling we know that if one is being picky this works every time.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate it too. Sheba would be offered here if it still came in cans! My cat liked it but I'm not paying more money for less food and the annoying plastic/hard to open packaging!

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of it either. I find the packaging difficult and the smaller portion sizes don't work for us. Nutro is the only food in our rotation that uses them and I only get them if I can't find the turkey in pate form in cans. On the plus side, it's the only turkey that they will both eat so I guess I'm stuck dealing with it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, I hate those Sheba perfect portions. The plastic tray always cuts my hands when I'm opening it and the sauce goes all over me. Plus they cost more than the cans used to.
I hate them too. I cut Sheba out of the rotation. I'm also not a big fan of foods that come in pouches. Those are a pain to open also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It just upsets me because Aslan absolutely devours the Sheba beef cuts, and it's grain free unlike the FF gravy kind, but it's hard for me to justify spending the extra money for less food.

He needs two of them to be full. The 1/2 would never work for me sadly.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mars petfood is the only one doing it. I don’t really trust anything they make in the first place. There’s a reason their petfood section makes twice as much as any other petfood company including Nestle Purina. Nothing but a money hungry company who passes off Royal Canin as if it’s the best food in the planet so they charge an arm and a leg for a bag of food that cost a few bucks to make. Sad but the truth.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cheesycats cheesycats so Iams, Nutro and Sheba and Rachel Ray are all owned by Mars?

It would make sense if some fat cats (not the fun kind) got together and said hey, let's sell less food for more money in obnoxious hard to open packages but call them "perfect portions".

I cannot seem to find a grain free cuts/shreds in gravy food that DOESN'T come in this packaging style so like RajaNMizu RajaNMizu said, I may have to suck it up and do the Nutro Cuts.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Witty Kitty comes in 3 oz cans and has shreds. Also Tractor Supply 4Health grain free chicken is shreds.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Witty Kitty comes in 3 oz cans and has shreds. Also Tractor Supply 4Health grain free chicken is shreds.
Thanks so much for the tip! Just checked Chewy and the Witty Kitty is out of stock :( I live in the city so not sure about the Tractor Supply.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure I understand what this thread is about. The 3 oz cans I cover with foil.
No plastic. only trays I buy are fancy feast pure

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate perfect portions. Its a marketing ploy to make it so the company can save money. Plastic is cheaper than metal and that's part of why they're doing it. When I complained to Sheba they sent me a bunch of coupons for the perfect portions so I could try them for free. I got all the free portions and donated them to a cat shelter.

I won't use them with my cats mainly because of the waste factor. Plastic containers may be recyclable, but plastic is really inefficient to recycle. Metal on the other hand can just be melted down and reused easily. I switched to Tractor supply after running out of my stock pile of Sheba.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure I understand what this thread is about. The 3 oz cans I cover with foil.
No plastic. only trays I buy are fancy feast pure
Nutro Perfect Portions Grain-Free Chicken Recipe Cat Food Trays, 2.6-oz, case of 24

Sheba Perfect Portions Grain-Free Multipack Roasted Chicken, Gourmet Salmon & Tender Turkey Cuts in Gravy Cat Food Trays, 2.6-oz, case of 24 twin-packs

We are talking about this kind. Typically it is 2.6 ounces of food vs the 3 ounces in the can and it costs more and wastes a ton of plastic, as well as being hard to open.

Lots of people's kitties favorite food has been repackaged this way.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sheba, nutro, and Iams are all owned by mars yes. RR is (or was I heard they were selling out but not sure to who) made by ainsworth but if they’re using the same portioned plastic containers then I’d be pressed to say mars is packaging those for RRs line or she’s just following the same trend with the portioned wet food to make better money.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember now! Because of the mess I stopped buying this. My cats only eat 5.5 oz cans. Usually for 2 of my cats, 1/4 Can of wellness core chicken,turkey,and/or duck or Dave's cats meow beef, 2nd meal 1/4 grandmas chicken,pumpkin, soup, or weruva lamb burger. 3rd meal low carb 1/4 ff,against the grain,tiki,or weruva
Peaches Dr Elseys. 2nd and 3rd mix in some of my other 2 cats food.

Last edited:

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes the perfect portions drive me crazy! I want to make a meal of it and my cats aren't going to be satisfied with that 'snack'. The brands I actually want to try come in 'pinched portions'. So annoying!

The only good thing about the Sheba packaging is whenever mine hear me crack the portions apart they come running. Even if one wasn’t eating too well that day the sound of that packaging seems to whet their appetites. It works for all three of mine. When my sitter is taking care of them and I’m traveling we know that if one is being picky this works every time.
If the sound of the package cracking is something to whet their appetite, I'd be trying a 'Pavlov's Bell' on them and get them a dinner bell to call them over LOL!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh they definitely do it to be able to charge more, and it's infuriating. Mars is also the company who owned and then discontinued EVO, so I will never forgive them.