The Official TCS Babbling Games - Contest Now Open!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing can make liver taste better, not even crispy bacon and I love crispy bacon. I agree on the beer helping gardens to look better though, and the keeping the protein on the side dishes and not swimming in the juice!  I used to have an allotment and there's no way I'd want to put one of the massive chaffer grubs we got there anywhere near my mouth. 
  They were huge, like those wichety grubs or whatever you get in Australia!  Eugh. I swear these grubs were twice the size they should have been.   Shame our vegetables didn't do so well. We had a lot of perennial weeds and grubs and not a lot of edible vegitation. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could not find my apple seeds, it must mean I have lost my appleseeds, oh the misery, I wanted to start few apple trees to make some juice in 5 years from now or so :(

Problem putting things to safe place is that when you need them, they sure are safe, nowhere to be found that is!

Last summer I did get one farmer to plow part of my lawn so I could start a potato field, but my health could only allow one row of potato to be planted, wish that I will get few rows more at coming season, but that is still around 4 months away until I can put potato in ground, because we get those subzero nights in early June still and they begin at August again.
Actually last year there was no single month that temperature did stay above zero, every month we got temps below freezing at least few nights.

Does anyone do fishing? Some of my cats enjoy from those little fishes I sometimes get, they like to hunt swimming fish from old washing basin and eat them, some fish I get are Perch and Common Roach (red eyed fish).

Especially one long haired cat is such that water is fine with her, she might step into water filled washing basin and then hunt fish, getting all soaked up wet, just way she is I guess. Others are not so fond of getting wet, but not very much afraid either.

allmomskitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nothing can make liver taste better, not even crispy bacon and I love crispy bacon. I agree on the beer helping gardens to look better though, and the keeping the protein on the side dishes and not swimming in the juice!  I used to have an allotment and there's no way I'd want to put one of the massive chaffer grubs we got there anywhere near my mouth. 
  They were huge, like those wichety grubs or whatever you get in Australia!  Eugh. I swear these grubs were twice the size they should have been.   Shame our vegetables didn't do so well. We had a lot of perennial weeds and grubs and not a lot of edible vegitation. 
OMG!  That sounds like my garden usually!  Lots and lots of native flora.  I've decided to call them "wild flowers" and cultivate them.  I figure that's the surest way to kill them all! 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This is one of those boring babbles.. A reminder of the rules:

The Rules

1. Minimum of 15 words per post.

Don't bother with counting words. Just make sure your posts are longer than one line and you should be ok.

2. Proper English.

Please don't just hit randomly at your keyboard. No gibberish allowed and as with other posts on the site, try to avoid texting abbreviations.

3. Comprehensible posts.

Your posts can be drivel, but they still need to make sense. Avoid using automated text generators. It's a babbling thread, but we still want to see communication with your fellow members.

4. Original posts only.

Please do not copy and paste text from another source. Not even from this site. Not even if you were the author. Just write something fresh for this thread.

5. No consecutive posts. You can't add a reply if yours is the last post in the thread. If anyone starts talking to themselves to speed things up, they risk getting banned from this thread.

The contest ends on midnight of February 28th, or once we reach 1000 posts. Whichever comes first.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I do the music for the Old Time Melodrama we put on for Gold Rush Days. Lots of fun, but tradition has it that something has to go wrong at least once. The first performance Friday night we had a great audience and things were going well until we had a curtain malfunction. That stopped the action dead for about 5 minutes. The audience went right along with it and had a wonderful time calling out suggestions to get it working again. Saturday night the curtain worked fine and the cast remembered more of their lines, but the audience was really tough. We had to work really hard to get a laugh out of them.

Okay, enough babbling. Time to head to the theater for the final performance tonight. Sunday night is fun because there are a lot more local people in the audience so we can tailor the lines to include insider jokes. :D

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I do the music for the Old Time Melodrama we put on for Gold Rush Days. Lots of fun, but tradition has it that something has to go wrong at least once. The first performance Friday night we had a great audience and things were going well until we had a curtain malfunction. That stopped the action dead for about 5 minutes. The audience went right along with it and had a wonderful time calling out suggestions to get it working again. Saturday night the curtain worked fine and the cast remembered more of their lines, but the audience was really tough. We had to work really hard to get a laugh out of them.

Okay, enough babbling. Time to head to the theater for the final performance tonight. Sunday night is fun because there are a lot more local people in the audience so we can tailor the lines to include insider jokes.
Break a leg, GoldyCat!  A hidden talent!  We need pictures

It's so hot today I'm just going to stay inside with the aircon on.   The cats agree.  The upside is everyone turns up for class to cool down.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Problem putting things to safe place is that when you need them, they sure are safe, nowhere to be found that is!   This is so true.  Years later I find something I have put away and think.....wow....I really needed to find this like a year ago....so do I leave it in same spot or put it somewhere else?.  Same spot it is for another two years. YaY!  I have such great organizational skills , my cat can do a better job.
Actually last year there was no single month that temperature did stay above zero, every month we got temps below freezing at least few nights.  Note to self, Vacation in  finland for its beauty, but never move there!  Now I know why your cats look like Arctic wild cats, survival of the fittest.  lol.

Does anyone do fishing? Some of my cats enjoy from those little fishes I sometimes get, they like to hunt swimming fish from old washing basin and eat them, some fish I get are Perch and Common Roach (red eyed fish).

Especially one long haired cat is such that water is fine with her, she might step into water filled washing basin and then hunt fish, getting all soaked up wet, just way she is I guess. Others are not so fond of getting wet, but not very much afraid either.
Cats that are not afraid of water, okay, I have seen cats near water on the seacoast, but never in the water.  
I do some fishing in the summer but only for Bass, Pike and get occasional catfish from lake.  There is also Perch and sunfish, which are small.  I have never tried to bring the small ones home for the cats.  

.... Shame our vegetables didn't do so well. We had a lot of perennial weeds and grubs and not a lot of edible vegitation. 

OMG!  That sounds like my garden usually!  Lots and lots of native flora.  I've decided to call them "wild flowers" and cultivate them.  I figure that's the surest way to kill them all! 
That is hilarious @AllMomsKitties  .  I will definetly try this approach to weeding.  It is both eco friendly...lol...and pretty.  Perhaps the grub and insects will admire them more so than the edible veges.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

ICK!!!!! I had to look up "wichety grubs", I'd never heard of them before.  We have banana slugs here--also disgusting little critters:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_slug

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

That sounds like a fantastic idea but I think I might inadvertantly tried it and they still flourished.  Something about all weeds / native flora having been cultivated and been so strong or so well suited they took over, so they are unlikely to be killed off even by the worst gardeners among us.  The communal garden at the back of my apartment block has a very fine field of creeping buttercup and bind weed......quite pretty but not what it's supposed to look like.  

ICK!!!!! I had to look up "wichety grubs", I'd never heard of them before.  We have banana slugs here--also disgusting little critters:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_slug
Eeuw, even the colour is vile.  I'd never heard of these and when I go to bed and dream about them I might wish I never had.....   I might not eat a banana before I go to bed either!   I'm a bit hungry but not sure what's going to take my fancy now bananas are off the menu. 

Last edited:

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

That sounds like a fantastic idea but I think I might inadvertantly tried it and they still flourished.  Something about all weeds / native flora having been cultivated and been so strong or so well suited they took over, so they are unlikely to be killed off even by the worst gardeners among us.  The communal garden at the back of my apartment block has a very fine field of creeping buttercup and bind weed......quite pretty but not what it's supposed to look like.  

Eeuw, even the colour is vile.  I'd never heard of these and when I go to bed and dream about them I might wish I never had.....   I might not eat a banana before I go to bed either!   I'm a bit hungry but not sure what's going to take my fancy now bananas are off the menu. 

Ozzy "hunted" one once, (though I told Ozzy it was not a fair fight since the slug couldn't exactly run away!  LOL)  brought it into the house and dumped it on the carpet.  THAT was disgusting--I'd rather clean up gopher guts than slimy slugs.  I think I read that they taste nasty, though and maybe it's true, that's the only one they've ever brought in the house.  

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Ozzy "hunted" one once, (though I told Ozzy it was not a fair fight since the slug couldn't exactly run away!  LOL)  brought it into the house and dumped it on the carpet.  THAT was disgusting--I'd rather clean up gopher guts than slimy slugs.  I think I read that they taste nasty, though and maybe it's true, that's the only one they've ever brought in the house.  
I on the other hand, think they look fantastic.  Have you gals never heard of "escargot" and how expensive it is?  @betsygee  ...if you could train your cats to bring them in un-eaten, we could make a fortune....But you say that they taste "nasty", awww....there goes another cat venture down the drain.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crushed egg shells around seedlings will certainly deter snails. I'm unsure about slugs but I would think it would work for them too.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do some fishing in the summer but only for Bass, Pike and get occasional catfish from lake.  There is also Perch and sunfish, which are small.  I have never tried to bring the small ones home for the cats.  
Ah, we do get warm days, some summers that is

Ancient cats of ancient Egypt in age of Pharaoh's were used as helpers in fishing, they did swim and dived, then drove fish into nets, or that is at least what I did read when attempting to learn origins of cats and reason cats being afraid of water, found out some are, some are not. Lion does not swim, Tigers does swim, so I guess is our domestic cats too.

I have not seen even my smallest one to actually swim, too small basin I guess, but I have seen videos of cats swimming, like this one:
First time I saw video about cat swimming was when I found video about cat being recovering from bad injuries, he could not walk, but had harness so he could swim in a pool to regain back his strength, swimming therapy for the cat I guess.
But now I can't remember if cat was he or she, sometimes english is difficult language, but often lot easier than finnish

Last edited by a moderator:

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

I on the other hand, think they look fantastic.  Have you gals never heard of "escargot" and how expensive it is?  @betsygee  ...if you could train your cats to bring them in un-eaten, we could make a fortune....But you say that they taste "nasty", awww....there goes another cat venture down the drain.
Well, now I had to look up more information about banana slugs: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.co...-gastropod-mollusk-can-be-loaded-charisma5558   It says they discourage predators with their "foul taste".   Yeah, maybe they're not in the gourmet escargot category.....   

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Ancient cats of ancient Egypt in age of Pharaoh's were used as helpers in fishing, they did swim and dived, then drove fish into nets, or that is at least what I did read when attempting to learn origins of cats and reason cats being afraid of water, found out some are, some are not. Lion does not swim, Tigers does swim, so I guess is our domestic cats too.

First time I saw video about cat swimming was when I found video about cat being recovering from bad injuries, he could not walk, but had harness so he could swim in a pool to regain back his strength, swimming therapy for the cat I guess.
But now I can't remember if cat was he or she, sometimes english is difficult language, but often lot easier than finnish
Thanks for that link, I did not know some cats actually enjoy swimming.  I have to go back and watch some more videos.  When one of my cats had accidentally fallen into the laundry tub full of soapy water, I had to rinse him off, for fear of him licking the soap and getting poisoned.  So I used the basement laundry sink, and only filled it with enough water so he could stand, and I could rinse with water overhead.  He got terrified like I was trying to drown him and bolted straight up, over my shoulder and around the house.  I needed another person just to hold him with gloves on and a wet towel.  He still loved me though, because he came to me when I called supper.

Your english is great.  It is much harder to write english than to speak it.  
Crushed egg shells around seedlings will certainly deter snails. I'm unsure about slugs but I would think it would work for them too.
Yes I have read this too, and also that cucumber peelings will deter ants.

Hey @ tammat...have you ever tried those "witchetty grubs" that mServant mentioned. I looked them up and they say they taste like almonds.

Have you ever tried anything weird? Like I had frog legs once and snails in sauce, the frogs legs were crispy and the snails were saucy.  Only once though....they are too expensive up here.

Last edited by a moderator:

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sigh my cat is so sneaky. I fix a plate and turn my back for a few minutes to get something next thing i know i start hearing excessive licking i look to see what she is doing and she took a piece of my chicken out of my plate. she didnt eat the boiled chicken i tried before... apparently she likes her meats seasoned

ghostlyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Luna is the worst about food -- She loves steak and once pulled an entire rib-eye off of my plate in the blink of an eye! I was sooo angry, haha. She also will get into any glass of milk I have, even if I drank it all and lick it clean, which really grosses me out and I don't know why. She will also bully all of my other cats and eat their food if I don't supervise her. I guess she is just a little kitty queen -- she bullies one of my other kitties pretty bad too. Maybe I need to call a cat behaviorist! But sometimes, her stealing food is cute, especially when she grabs something and then realizes she doesn't like it!

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Eopie is the queen of stealing human food.  She'll eat just about anything.  So much so that we've nicknamed her "The garbage can."

There was one time where I had brought home Pad Thai for dinner.  I put it on the table, then went to get something out of the fridge.  When I turned around, she was on my chair, with her front legs on the table, and her head in my plate.  >sigh<  She has such exotic tastes.