• Yes (It will get better overtime)

• No (It will stay the same)

• No ( It will worsen)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently adopted a Persian from my friend and as soon I reached home he meowed. Well it was most certainly not the meow that one expects from a 2 month old kitten, But it was still cute nonetheless. The only issue here is that I don't know whether the sound is due to some infection or a disease. He is active, play full, eats okay, drinks okay. Vet said they haven't heard anything as such ever. My friend said that he was like that from birth. Vet said not possible. She asked us to wait and see whether it reverts, or stays. My concern is it worsening and hampering his daily life. Please help if you have seen such case, or heard about it.

Here's the video. It's Hyperlinked.
Meow

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound Abnormal to me, just a little meow... not sure what you're hearing that's so different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens I have seen up till now usually have a very high pitched and smooth meow. His is a lot raspy and short, as if it ends in between. This is amplified when he has to meow a lot louder. I will try to capture it in video.
Today at vet's, He was being treated for ear mite infestation (which he got at his original home), when he got irritated due to the cleaning, his meow sounded a lot like a human infant crying.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well if the vet didn't think anything was wrong, I wouldn't worry a lot, but if he doesn't outgrow it, you'll have a special cat!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Persians are known for their flat faces, which can sometimes affect their respiratory tract. Did the vet mention this at all as a possibility?

I found this on the internet, just as a point of interest to you. The featured cat is Persian and apparently because of its meow, it is called to 'toad cat', which kind of seems what your cat's meow sounds like, IMO. Sadly, the 'singing' in the video covers up the cat's actual meows. I'm trying to find one where you can actually hear the cat, but so far no luck.
Persian Cat Goes Viral Thanks to Hilariously Distinctive Meow—'Toad Cat' (newsweek.com)

EDIT: This article too, about hoarse cats.
When a Cat’s Meow Sounds Strange (Hoarse Voice) - Cats.com

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with L lucyrima that your kitten's meow did not sound abnormal. I had my husband listen to your video and we both agreed our Persian had a similar meow when we first brought him home. We adopted him as a full grown cat and over time his meow got a little louder almost like a yowl. He is our third Persian and I guess we never really paid that close attention to the meow of our other two previous cats. As long as they are healthy that was our biggest concern.

I hope your kitten's ear mite problem clears up with the proper medical treatment and he grows into his voice. :crossfingers: Best of luck!