The Never Ending Pregnancy, What To Expect!

Julieghoulie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
059876B5-6E47-4916-9294-507700C03C0A.jpeg
DEFD0D99-5396-448C-AF25-C0EBBFB1F24C.jpeg
Hey guys! I’ve been reading the forums for about a month now but finally made an account this morning. My cat, Julia, is 62 days pregnant. She was a stray kitten we took care of at our old apartment. We had to move suddenly for work and were afraid she wouldn’t make it on her own so we moved her with us. In the chaos of a cross country move, I failed to get her spayed and now here we are. I’ve been watching her like a hawk for about a week. She’s still showing interest in food but only taking a couple bites. I woke up this morning to her scratching at the carpet, and we hung out in the closest for about an hour where her nesting area is set up, but every time I got up, she’d follow me back out. She has been sleeping almost non stop all week but today she’s twitching her tail and moving room to room, and looks less pregnant, if that makes sense. She is all over me when she gets a chance, which is not her personality at all, she usually doesn’t care to be pet or acknowledged, but today she wants me to hold her like a baby and pet her. She has dried milk on the ends of her nipples and her stomach has definitely dropped. I think she’s close but I can’t be for sure. My questions are, do you think we’re finally in the home stretch? And what to expect when labor starts. I hope everything goes smoothly for her but I’m worried since she’s such a petite cat that this will be hard on her. If that’s the case, what intervention should I be prepared for? Thanks in advance!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julieghoulie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does sound like she may have dropped, and you are definitely in the home stretch. Probably only a few more days!

Here are some helpful links:

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

So nice of you to move her with you. I’m sure she had come to depend on you. She’s very pretty!

We’re here to answer any questions! :)

Awesome! The third article definitely answered all of my questions about when to intervene if something goes wrong! She was an avid hunter when we found out she was pregnant so I was immediately concerned she wouldn’t calm down enough for the babies but she has already proven me wrong with her new laid back lifestyle. My biggest concern is knowing exactly when she goes into labor because we have two large dogs who are only 14 months and 8 months old so I worry they’ll pester her or worse, bother the kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should see her belly tighten and loosen - it looks like ripples - when she goes into labor.

She may purr non-stop, meow, look to you for comfort, or move often from spot to spot due to pain.

She also may have discharge for 2-3 days in advance.

You will likely know when it happens!

You’ll also want to put her in a room completely away from the dogs when she goes into labor, and keep her and her kittens separate for a few weeks.

Julieghoulie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should see her belly tighten and loosen - it looks like ripples - when she goes into labor.

She may purr non-stop, meow, look to you for comfort, or move often from spot to spot due to pain.

She also may have discharge for 2-3 days in advance.

You will likely know when it happens!

You’ll also want to put her in a room completely away from the dogs when she goes into labor, and keep her and her kittens separate for a few weeks.

She’s purring a lot, with chirping in between and definitely moving from room to room a lot. She has my whole master bedroom with a powder room and walk in closet to herself for when she’s ready. It’s the least busy room in the house, only my husband and I go in there at night. With three kids 7, 4, and 2, plus the dogs, it’s hard to find some peace and quiet around here. She’s lucky.

Julieghoulie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey again! So I think I calculated our girls due date wrong. I know for certain she didn’t mate after 1/26, because as soon as I saw the other cat in the yard, she was grounded to the house. This makes her 64 days pregnant today at the least. Three days ago, she started hiding under my bed and didn’t leave my room for anything. I brought her food and litter tray in there and she did nothing but sleep. Night before last, a switch flipped. She chased a moth for over an hour, and was teasing the dogs all day yesterday. She’s acting like she’s not even pregnant anymore. She’s come out of the room, and is being very pre-pregnancy Julia, only much larger. Is it normal for a cat to go into a playful mode right before kittens? She has pockets of milk behind her nipples and she is absolutely huge.

5babiesmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you had babies yet? My cat is the same way with her pockets of milk and just wanting to sleep all the time.

Julieghoulie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s all over the house. Pacing room to room. No discharge or any real signs of impending labor. She’s actually a little hyper and has tried playing with the dogs. Doesn’t want to be in her room with her litter, food, and nesting box. Sticking to the rooms with people. I’ve given up trying to figure out when it’s going to happen, I’ve driven myself crazy at this point, haha.

Julieghoulie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Calming back down now and back to her room. Back to snuggling and getting five pounds of cat hair up my nose, haha

5babiesmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't feel bad I'm at the same point with my kitty, Some days she looks more pregnant than others and even acts like it and then there is days she acts like nothing is wrong. Right now she is behind our love seat on a cover I put back there to protect our hard wood floors. She only comes out to drink she hasn't really been eating much

Julieghoulie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Julia comes running when she hears me pouring food but she’s only nibbling at it here and there. I’m sure she’ll have them any time, and I’m grateful her due date is falling on a three day weekend when I have some extra hands from hubby and my seven year old. Good luck to you! Let me know here if your girl progresses at all! Maybe we’ll become kitty grandmas the same day, haha.

5babiesmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HAHAHA You never know we just very well could. I will be more than happy to keep you updated and Patches progress and I hope you do the same with Julia. I know my excitement has fully taken over and I can't wait no longer but keep telling myself just whenever nature takes it course I will be ready. I will get a pic up as soon as she comes out from behind the love sofa I don't try to disrubt her to much.

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm at the same point. Mine is huge, her mammories are full of milk, and she should have had them a couple days ago. Yet she is currently in my kitchen chasing a mouse. (We live on a farm). Sometimes it seems like she may never have them!

Julieghoulie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m a kitty grandma! I woke up this morning, and she managed to sneak into the kids room during the night. Found her under the bed, vigorously trying to clean a dead kitten and was immediately devastated. I grabbed a flashlight, and came to find that the still born kitten was number SIX! She had five healthy babies and the stress and time must have been too much for the visibily smaller last little one. She did a beautiful job cleaning the other babies and is happily nursing them in a clean, fresh bed. I’m still upset we lost one, but with how petite she was, I’m just grateful for five healthy babies.

Julieghoulie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
managed to move everyone into the cat carrier and moved the carrier to the closet giving her three doors between the chaos of the house and her and the babies. She ate four placentas so she doesn’t seem hungry. Every time she hears the dogs toes click she immediately goes into attack mode so I’m keeping them in the living room for now. We have a tortie, a tabby, a black, an orange, and a smokey gray!

Julieghoulie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Julia has become pretty aggressive with everyone except me. Any noise from outside the room sends her into a growling, hissing fit. Trying to keep the kids and dogs outside for the day. Everyone looks good so I’m not going to bother her!