The Miracle Of A Steroid Injection

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted everyone to know about a small miracle. My 16 year old Burt had an allergic reaction to a tick bite and pulled out most of his hair all along his back, down to the skin. The vet gave him a long lasting steroid injection and within 48 hours all hair pulling had ceased, along with his almost daily vomiting, and it increased his appetite. He acts like a kitten, his hair is growing back, no more vomiting and he is gaining weight, I can't believe it. He's jumping up on the counters like he used to, and running in the back yard like a youngster!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, those steroid injections are very helpful. I'm assuming this was depo Medrol? The issue with these injections is they can cause immediate diabetes so you always have to be careful when using them and don't get them often. I do agree, it helped my kitty very much as well when she was having an itching episode from allergies.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The "long acting" steroid injection you are probably referring to is Depo-Medrol. Yes it does work miracles for some kitties..so glad it helped calm down the inflammation for Bert.

I have a 16 year old IBD kitty presently on this. She is one or two steps above feral and cannot be pilled or treated on a daily basis, so she gets this injection about every 6 weeks. It keeps her frisky, eating well, no vomiting, and her quality of life is great.

This is a pretty potent steroid, so giving it about every 6 weeks keeps her well and minimizes risks of side effects.

Ticks are bad this year. We live in 'tick central" so all our kitties are strictly indoor.