The Magically Appearing Flea- Any Ideas?

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I took Itachi to the vet on the 12th she checked him for fleas and said he didn't have any. He has two areas above his eyes where the fur is thinner and it's easy to see his skin. I hadn't seen any evidence of them. She dewormed him and vaccinated him. We agreed we could wait until his neuter (around the 1st) to start Revolution.
Starting yesterday, it seems like they're everywhere. You can see them in those areas above his eyes. I can't really do anything money wise for another week or so to get rid of them. Can I bath him with Dawn?
How did they get in here? I didn't go outside, he didn't go outside.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blue Dawn Original soap is fine.

Use only a small amount of soap and be sure to rinse thoroughly. Towel dry the cat as much as you can and keep it out of drafts until the cat is fully dry. Do not use a hair dryer :nono: You risk burning the cat even on a low heat / no heat setting :shocked:

Fleas can be brought into your home by hitching a ride on your clothes, bags, etc. Is this a kitten? Kittens often have fleas and worms.

You'll need to treat the home, too. Vacuum frequently and empty the canister outside or put the bag into a trash bag that is tied shut and tossed into an outside trash can if possible, wash everything the cat sleeps on in hot soap water, etc. It'll take awhile to get rid of the fleas (those eggs are pretty resistant to flea control so you have to wait for those to hatch:gaah:) so have patience.

Homemade Flea Remedies For Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blue Dawn Original soap is fine.

Use only a small amount of soap and be sure to rinse thoroughly. Towel dry the cat as much as you can and keep it out of drafts until the cat is fully dry. Do not use a hair dryer :nono: You risk burning the cat even on a low heat / no heat setting :shocked:

Fleas can be brought into your home by hitching a ride on your clothes, bags, etc. Is this a kitten? Kittens often have fleas and worms.

You'll need to treat the home, too. Vacuum frequently and empty the canister outside or put the bag into a trash bag that is tied shut and tossed into an outside trash can if possible, wash everything the cat sleeps on in hot soap water, etc. It'll take awhile to get rid of the fleas (those eggs are pretty resistant to flea control so you have to wait for those to hatch:gaah:) so have patience.

Homemade Flea Remedies For Cats
Thank you for the info! Yes, this is a kitten- 12 weeks old. I expected him to have fleas and was pleasantly surprised when he didn't seem to- I've had him for four weeks and two days ago was the first sign. Even the vet cleared him. She did deworm him- could that have caused this?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kitten could have picked up a few fleas from the vet office. It happens. The kitten may be old enough for a monthly parasite preventative. Ask the vet for a recommended product to use.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She did deworm him- could that have caused this?
I have never heard of fleas all of a sudden occurring because of de-worming. You have another source of the fleas. Perhaps, from the vet's office, as LTS3 LTS3 has suggested. You were also outside, and can pick them up from anywhere, on your shoes, etc.

12 weeks old is old enough to start Revolution - but, if you are worried about it, call the vet and tell them you have fleas and ask if there is any reason why you can't start the Revolution now. The quicker you eradicate them, the less likely they are going to propagate in your home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of fleas all of a sudden occurring because of de-worming. You have another source of the fleas. Perhaps, from the vet's office, as LTS3 LTS3 has suggested. You were also outside, and can pick them up from anywhere, on your shoes, etc.

12 weeks old is old enough to start Revolution - but, if you are worried about it, call the vet and tell them you have fleas and ask if there is any reason why you can't start the Revolution now. The quicker you eradicate them, the less likely they are going to propagate in your home.
Yeah, I know there's in this region year round. I'm going to start the Revolution as soon as I can get the money.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A flea comb is good too, if you don't want to bathe him too often. Get a cup of hot soapy water and knock the fleas into that when you comb them off. He's still small enough that it wouldn't be hard to comb him a few times a day.