The Litter Locker by PetMate

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope no problems whatsoever - that is why I recommend it so highly! OK, I would however not suggest tossing the clumps in like through a basket ball hoop.

The initial cost is a little higher but nothing additional that rackes up cost down the line like the cartridges! And it really controls the smell that would otherwise accumulate.

Give it a try.

maui

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Helen! Will definitely get this. I was going to get a second LitterLocker, but you've sold me. This will be their Christmas present. . .hey I can put their "presents" in their present. . .

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just had to add to this post. I bought a Litter Locker about 2 weeks ago and its all I can talk about it. I tell all the people I know with cats to pick one up. It isn't expensive, the refils are about $7 at walmart and last 2 months. It makes cleaning the litter box fun and easy. I cleaned it out last week and it was so easy and clean that it made me love the thing even more.

I recommend the litter locker to anyone!!!! Its a great investment. Told my hairdresser to get one since he has 2 cats.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kinda wanted to add to this thread because of what happened this morning...

So it's 3:45am, I'm trying to get ready for work and naturally, my mind doesn't work that early in the morning! I decide to scoop Bay's box before I leave, I drop a clump into the litter locker... and notice that apparently it had run out of bag and I had just dropped it into the container itself!

Okay how did I miss that?! Has anyone ever had something similar happen? I had to totally refill the container, plus dealing with that whole situation from above... all at not even 4am... blah. Shouldn't there be some warning that the bag is empty/close to being empty? Or is it just my fault since I keep scooping when I'm not awake or paying attention?

buckeye23

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I grabbed one of these. My refill didn't last me like 2 months, but I think I cleaned the litter box more than once a day. Usually, if I was around and Dakota used the box, I would swoop in when she was done and clean it out. I dunno, maybe I need a new hobby...hehe.

Great investment though, worth every penny.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my refill lasted just under a month... but I usually scoop twice a day... and I've since changed from Crystals to clumping litter, which means there's more waste now. I'm debating whether it's worth it...

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours lasts about a month with 2 girls, and we scoop once /day or once every other (they don't go a lot, and I can't seem to find some clumps, really... not until it's time to dump the thing totally.)

Worth every cent though, because it keeps the Scent from penetrating the house without taking the trash ourt every day.

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just ordered two of these
-- one for me and Comere and one for my mom and her cat (shhhh, it's for x-mas). Mom lives in an apartment and taking her garbage outside immediately isn't always an option, so I think she'll love it.

I used to have a diaper geenie when my daughter was a baby and it was awesome. Cool to have something similar for litterbox duties/doodies

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know when I used to babysit, I'd always see a diaper genie around... never knew what they were for... now that I have a litter locker, I get it. I think that if I get another cat, I'll look into the Litter Champ, I've heard better things about it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Kinda wanted to add to this thread because of what happened this morning...

So it's 3:45am, I'm trying to get ready for work and naturally, my mind doesn't work that early in the morning! I decide to scoop Bay's box before I leave, I drop a clump into the litter locker... and notice that apparently it had run out of bag and I had just dropped it into the container itself!

Okay how did I miss that?! Has anyone ever had something similar happen? I had to totally refill the container, plus dealing with that whole situation from above... all at not even 4am... blah. Shouldn't there be some warning that the bag is empty/close to being empty? Or is it just my fault since I keep scooping when I'm not awake or paying attention?
I've managed to do that two or three times. You actually do get a warning that the bag is close to empty, in the form of little black dots on it. They're easy to miss early in the morning!
I usually cut the bag with a pair of scissors, rather than the built-in safety knife, to avoid too much waste.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I've managed to do that two or three times. You actually do get a warning that the bag is close to empty, in the form of little black dots on it. They're easy to miss early in the morning!
Really? I better pay more attention, that was one of the worst scooping experiences ever! Thanks, I'll see if I can spot the dots next time!

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got my litter locker today and set it up. I instantly had diaper-genie flashbacks

Seems like a nifty device... I'm anxious to see how it holds down the smell after a few days of scooping into it.

How often do you guys find you have to empty it?

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using clumping litter now, after using crystals - I think when I used crystals I could empty once every 2 weeks or so. With the clumping litter, I think only once a week...

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pink,

I use clumping Tidy Cat for multiple cats and while it holds down the smell pretty darn good, it's TERRIBLY dusty (and awful for my sinuses!). I'm going to go back to the black litter with crystals as soon as I run out of Tidy Cat. Once a week isn't too bad though -- better than trekking outside in the cold twice a day

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The black litter with crystals? Not sure which kind that is... I've noticed that the Arm & Hammer Super Scoop, which I'm using right now, is also very dusty, contrary to what the label says! And yes, I agree - I'd rather go out to the dumpster once a week than daily - though every time I empty the litter locker, phew what a stench! Doesn't do THAT great a job of containing the odors once the locker is open!

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ya know, I I think it's made by Tidy Cat also -- it comes in one of those square plastic tubs with a blue plastic lid. It's a very dark colored litter, almost black, with blue crystals mixed in. I think it's this one: http://www.tidycats.com/products_10_a.aspx

though every time I empty the litter locker, phew what a stench! Doesn't do THAT great a job of containing the odors once the locker is open!
Diaper genie was the same way LOL -- it was great at keeping the odors inside it, but when you went to empty it out, it was best to do it outside :p

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh you use Crystal Blend! I used to use that, didn't find anything remarkable about it though - we still use it whenever Baylee is at my boyfriend's and I think it's just okay.

So that explains why whenever I went babysitting, I used to find the diaper genie outside! I never understood!

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just emptied my litter locker for the first time
-- Looks like I get about a week before I have to empty it (big cat, big poops!), and it does do a great job keeping the smell down (just about non-existent). I am VERY pleased with it, so thanks to all who recommended it!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ComeresMom

I got my litter locker today and set it up. I instantly had diaper-genie flashbacks

Seems like a nifty device... I'm anxious to see how it holds down the smell after a few days of scooping into it.

How often do you guys find you have to empty it?
I empty it once a week, though that's just a habit I've gotten into. It would probably hold one cat's excretions for two weeks.

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love my litter locker! I have three cats,two of which are kittens- you can imagine how much waste they produce...lol! Using plastic bags just wasn't working out. They were stinky, messy and just all around disgusting to use in an apartment. I'm still figuring out how often I need to empty mine, but wow! it sure is much easier than those plastic baggies!