“the Last Patrol Of Our Beloved Kitty”, Our Cat Knew It Was His Time...

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to share our story because I think it is quite original and it may help other readers. Also it helps our grieving at this time.

Kitty adopted us one hot Summer night in Almeria (south of Spain) in 2003, he had been a street cat for a little less than a year and was fighting to find food and survive. We started feeding him occasionally and one day he followed us home and decided to stay with us, he never left after that night.

Fast forward, 4 years later in 2007, we moved to Colorado in the US. Kitty, the Mediterranean cat had crossed the ocean with us and was ready for a new life. A very happy life, going in and out whenever he wanted, climbing trees, taking walks around the block with us, laying in front of the heater on cold winter nights…

Fast forward again to 2015, he started showing symptoms of an upper respiratory infection (URI). We started a long process of treatments with antibiotics (cefovecin, azithromycin, neomycin, doxycline…), lysine, nose drops, humidifiers, we even got rid of the carpet thinking it was maybe an allergy... Sometimes the symptoms would go away, but they would return again. He looked healthy otherwise and would play and jump like a young cat.

Then in October 2016 he started being picky with the food, sometimes he would not eat, we thought it was because of the nose congestion. We would give him canned food and treats and he seemed to recover his appetite. Even though he was an outdoor cat, he was never super active, he would spend his winter days lying in front of the heater (yes, he was Mediterranean after all!). But I had noticed he was more lethargic than before and he had lost a pound. We took him a total of 10 times to the vet during this last year, we even changed vets because we could not understand why his URI wouldn’t get better. They kept prescribing him antibiotics. One day in May 2017 we discover he had really bad diarrhea, again back to the vet, more antibiotics. But he had got from 10 pounds to about 7 pounds in just a couple of months, so we knew something was really wrong. He had had blood tests and all looked normal, even x-rays. I had searched all over the internet, mainly for URI remedies and symptoms, but it never occurred to me that could be something else more serious.

One day in June 2017 we were walking Kitty around the block (as we did for the last 10 years), and he could not follow us, he was too weak. We immediately took him to the emergency care at CSU (Colorado State University), they gave him fluids, they performed a blood test, x-rays, ultrasounds, everything... We wished we had taken him there before, but we did not know they also treated small animals. The diagnosis: lymphoma and the doctor thought it was large cell lymphoma, which is the most aggressive type. He had enlarged lymph nodes on his throat area and also back of the legs. He had hidden it very well from us. We were devastated and upset with all the other vets we had gone to in the area for not having any clue about what was wrong with him, I guess this happens a lot after reading many other posts. I also wished I had known about this site, there is a lot of good information. Anyway, still with all the tests they did at CSU none was conclusive, meaning they would have to do a biopsy to confirm it, but we were afraid of the anesthesia and Kitty not being able to survive it. They told us we had the option to get chemotherapy or start with prednisolone to see if that eased the symptoms. We decided the prednisolone as it was easier to administer and we would see if there were any improvements. In cases of large cell lymphoma, the prognosis is only 2-4 months if the cat responds well to it, so it did not make any sense to us to put him through all the stress if it was already in a late stage. He was gaining weight after a week into the prednisolone and acting better, we thought maybe that was a good sign.

On this past Sunday night he got in bed with us for the last time, 3 weeks after he was diagnosed…we didn’t know that though. It seemed like a regular night. Kitty woke me up in the night and gave a big sigh, like it was too much to keep going on. We looked at each other one last time for several minutes, it seemed, his big green eyes, so pretty... I thought myself that maybe to keep going was too much for him. But being tired I slipped back into the bed. Later that night, around 5am or so (the time he always went on patrol outside), I heard Kitty give an unusual and special “Big Meow”, like saying, “Good bye” or “Thank You” for a life well lived. I petted him one last time (he wanted me to acknowledge that I had heard him) on the head and he left. I heard his cat door and he went to the back yard. The next morning Mike and I woke up late. The food dish was well eaten but it was late and he was not in his favorite sleeping spot in the backyard. I told Mike I thought Kitty had indeed said “goodbye” the night before. When I was growing up I had heard that cats that were sick went away to die in peace, could this be the case? We searched the yard, ours and others. The house, no Kitty. We called, even clicked the scissors to tell him there was raw chicken. It always worked before, but not this time. That was Monday morning. We stayed home that day, went out for a bike ride and returned hoping he would be back. But he was not. We searched his favorite areas, nothing. We talked to the neighbors searched their yards, still nothing. Tuesday, again we did the same. We knew that he left us, but what had happened? It wasn’t till Wednesday morning, that I said, “What about the stream about 100 meters from our home?” We thought that it was beyond his normal patrol, that he would not be there. Mike had searched there already on his bike, looking mostly into the bushes.

So we started our search again and finally, we found his remains. From what we could tell he had found a quiet spot along the stream, cool, with birds singing and the sounds of children playing, he loved the sound of their voices. “He knew it was his time…” He had found his final place, taken his last patrol. He was always free till the last minute, yes some cats do go away to die and rest when the time is up.

We had commented to the doctor, that if he could, he would tell us what he wanted and how he should be treated for cancer, and he did. We think that he had the opportunity to make that choice. We are happy for him but sad for us. No stranger had to come and give him a drug to remove his suffering. He took the way of the wild cat that he was, at least in his heart. He was born in the wild along the beaches of southern Spain on a cold winter’s night and returned home on a hot summer’s day, on his Last Patrol.

Thanks for reading, as my tears fall. I had to tell his story, just as the rhyme of the ancient mariner…

Attachments

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what we could tell he had found a quiet spot along the stream, cool, with birds singing and the sounds of children playing, he loved the sound of their voices. “He knew it was his time…” He had found his final place, taken his last patrol. He was always free till the last minute, yes some cats do go away to die and rest when the time is up.
These few lines brought a river of tears to my eyes!!! :bawling:
Kitty was really lucky to have you as his life companions and showed you how grateful was for what you did for him, he said "Thank you!" one more time before leaving and follow his instict of free cat.

Yes, this forum is full of stories of wrong or missed diagnosis, of wrong vets and belated therapies. I am one of those stories. The cat you see in my profile's picture had been misdiagnosed two times in less than 6 months for two terrible diseases. For one we made it just in time, the second one killed her...
A few minutes before she died she wanted to walk to our backyard, get some sunshine and listen to the birds singing, just like your Kitty. Then she walked back inside and waited for the vet to come home for the final injection.

Kitty, the cat who crossed The Pond!
RIP Kitty, you have been loved beyond average :(

Jason607

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a bittersweet story. Sounds like kitty had a wonderful life, a sudden turn for the worse this year but a death on his own terms. I'm heartbroken for your loss. Its rare that you have a cat that gets a "perfect death" (if you can even use the word "perfect" to describe such a tragic event). However, I believe kitty had a perfect death. He got to be around the ones he loved until the very last moment and then got to be in a place of his choosing when his time came.

Our baby Mew Mew had something close to it when she passed away last month. We had the vet come over to the house and she went to sleep in her favorite spot in the house. It was a peaceful passing for her just like your Kitty. He will forever be in your heart. One day you will be reunited with Kitty. Until then he is exploring a perfect place where he is having the time of his life.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I offer you my sincere condolences for your loss. Because what a loss to the world! I cried as I read your beautiful tribute, the world is a little darker with his passing but the joy and light he brought to YOUR world will be forever more. I am grateful he spared you his last moments, he died on his own terms, surrounded by what he loved the most, I wish this for all. I am also grateful that you found him and I am sure this brought you some small measure of peace, the not knowing is troubling. It sounds like that sweet boy led a wonderful long life and I know he would never want you to mourn for long on his passing. He would want you to go on with your life and fill it with happiness and sunshine, just as you would want for him. The love you shared is a bond that will tie your souls together for eternity, nothing, not even death, can take that from you. He walked on this earth beside you for a while, he shared your life journey for those wonderful years. He was in your life for a reason and now will be in your heart for evermore. Use your wonderful memories to bring you comfort, ask him to help you through this and he will. His purr will be heard with the coming storm, his kiss will brush your cheek on the warm summer breeze.
My heart goes out to you, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, take care.......... RIP dear Kitty, you are so dearly missed and will never be forgotten. May your journey to the Rainbow Bridge be swift, may your visits to those who love you be frequent. You were a wonderful addition to a family that welcomed you into their lives, and now you watch over them with loving gratitude. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Panther Prince!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet Kitty. It sounds like you did everything possible to help him. He is at peace now and will never be sick again. You will see him again one day when the time is right and when you do, he will thank you for loving him, caring for him and letting him pass the way he lived- on his own terms. You gave him a wonderful life full of love and friendship. All cats should be so lucky. :hugs::angel:

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful and touching read. I can just imagine him as the feline hero of a children's book; a suave, rugged cat from Spain who sees the world as his oyster and remains the captain of his own life through the very end. It was clear the he was very loved and well-cared for, and Kitty could not have asked for a better life with you.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of that gorgeous boy, but he had a full life, certainly was the world traveler! It is always so heartbreaking when they leave us, no matter what age and from whatever circumstances, but you did MORE than you could to take care of him and yes, that was him telling you "thank you, I love you but I must leave you now....", so heartfelt that part and your whole story, but he surely lived a nice, wonderful life, and passed away peacefully, and is no longer in pain anymore but a big piece of him will stay with you forever until you see your beloved baby boy again. What a beautiful story....where's my hanky?.....so heartfelt and emotional I can't help but well up with tears.

May your heart heal a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Kitty, dream you deep. You entered your humans' lives on your own terms, and you left again the same. You will walk in their hearts forever.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on your loss. Your tribrute was beautiful. Indeed, it would make a charming book. Kitty was a sleek, beautiful housepanther. He was blessed to have lived a good life. " Vete al Dios, Kitty!"

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tears. Cats have a special way to make us understand them. He was a special cat indeed , choosing a special human to live with. And to be with when starting the journey in the Kingdom of Love.

Happy journey, Kitty! My respect to her Guardian.