The Healthy Way For Raw?

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to start raw food for my kitty I've been saying this for over a year from now i even purchase EZ complete and never use it because i’m afried that my boy getting bacteria or being sick
And i really couldn't find the REALLY right way to it
We dont have farm here that's mean i can't take fresh chicken or other protein source
So i was searching how to kill bacteria and never find the answer so here i’m asking you guys how to kill bactria from chicken ?? Freeze it for 4 days or so ??
I really don't want any harm for my cat i really love him but i’m sick seeing all that diarrhea i want to try someting new
In healthy way and if you guys try EZ complete it's smells awful my cat didn't like the smell but i have to use it

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many members here order meat from places like Hare Today that are specifically for pet food. That's expensive though and way out of my budget. I just buy grocery store meat. Never buy ground meat from a grocery store. I try to get the freshest meat I can with the farthest best buy date. My meat is always frozen before I use it because I buy it a couple weeks before I need to make another batch of food. Freezing doesn't really kill much bacteria. It just goes dormant in the freezer and gets right back to it once the meat is defrosted. That being said, it is a good idea to keep everything as cold as possible to slow bacteria production. When I grind my meat I always have it still half frozen so the meat stays as cold as possible while grinding, mixing, portioning, and refreezing. You can always do a partial bake to kill the surface bacteria. I tried that once but since I've never cooked meat before I ended up cooking it too much and wasting 4 pounds of chicken.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The EZ Complete website has a very thorough article about raw or cooked.
Raw or Cooked? Which Should I Feed and Why?

I buy whole chicken thighs from the butcher, leave them raw, and grind them myself, but I know others do a partial bake before grinding to ensure all surface bacteria are killed. Bake them at 350 degrees leaving about 50% of the thigh meat raw. The length of time for baking will vary depending on how thick the thighs are but it usually about 15–20 minutes depending on your oven. In my oven with the size of thighs I used, it was 15 minutes when I did the partial bake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The EZ Complete website has a very thorough article about raw or cooked.
Raw or Cooked? Which Should I Feed and Why?

I buy whole chicken thighs from the butcher, leave them raw, and grind them myself, but I know others do a partial bake before grinding to ensure all surface bacteria are killed. Bake them at 350 degrees leaving about 50% of the thigh meat raw. The length of time for baking will vary depending on how thick the thighs are but it usually about 15–20 minutes depending on your oven. In my oven with the size of thighs I used, it was 15 minutes when I did the partial bake.
Thanks for help but i prefer it 100% raw because I tried cooking chickens for my cat but i still see direhea so i want to try raw raw maybe it's my last chance ,
The butcher here only do red meat
I only see chickens on grocery stores and not completely fresh its maybe two days or 3 in the refrigerator

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed only commercial raw but make home-cooked food, where I cook the meat and add EZ Complete. Maybe that's an option you could try, L Lilyraghdlife ?

Our cats were initially skeptical about EZ, too, but they now love it!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no such thing as bacteria free raw feeding. Cats have more acidic digestive tracts than ours and are also shorter. As a result they can handle a good amount of bacteria. No you shouldn't buy ground meat from the store but you can buy thighs and such. When you buy a piece of meat from the store for yourself it is good in the fridge for 2-3 days. Similarly if you buy it for your cat it has the same rule. Whatever you cannot use within that time frame you have to freeze right away. I portion things so it's not sitting in the fridge for more than 2 days in order to minimize the bacteria.

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed only commercial raw but make home-cooked food, where I cook the meat and add EZ Complete. Maybe that's an option you could try, L Lilyraghdlife ?

Our cats were initially skeptical about EZ, too, but they now love it!
I already try cooked chickens
But not helping his situation the only thing i never try is the raw meat i want to see if it's helping

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is no such thing as bacteria free raw feeding. Cats have more acidic digestive tracts than ours and are also shorter. As a result they can handle a good amount of bacteria. No you shouldn't buy ground meat from the store but you can buy thighs and such. When you buy a piece of meat from the store for yourself it is good in the fridge for 2-3 days. Similarly if you buy it for your cat it has the same rule. Whatever you cannot use within that time frame you have to freeze right away. I portion things so it's not sitting in the fridge for more than 2 days in order to minimize the bacteria.
I’m not planing to buy ground meat from the market i only want to get refriger chicken not completely fresh
But that the only thing i got here
Soo .... i also want to grounded by myself but i’m afraid from any bacteria can make the problem worse

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not planing to buy ground meat from the market i only want to get refriger chicken not completely fresh
But that the only thing i got here
Soo .... i also want to grounded by myself but i’m afraid from any bacteria can make the problem worse
Many people grind their own meats. That's totally fine and appropriate for bone. Just freeze what you can't use in 2 days or so.