The harm of skipping medicine doses?

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my biggest fears around my cat's health is that he'll be required to take daily medication. So this is a hypothetical right now.

I live alone. He will NOT come out for anyone. He hides when people come over and when I'm out of town the cat sitters never see him. When they've looked under the bed/sofa where he hides he hisses and cowers further back away from them. So I'm the only person who would be able to give him meds which means no vacations for me, ever. Boarding him isn't an option either. He doesn't do well being at the vet all day, or in his carrier, or in the car, or in any place new (moving is a pain in the butt), plus I can't cover the expense of boarding. So I have been dragging my feet on starting him on Lactulose (the Miralax just isn't working). And sure, I could try to crush up, or mix in the medication into his food but unless it's flavorless and doesn't have a funky texture he won't touch it. Obviously any compounded ear medication won't work either since nobody can physically reach him. He's my problem child.

How detrimental would it be to skip any medication the vet may want him on for a couple to 7 days? How do people in this situation deal with this? TIA

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. IMO, depending on the med, a day or two of missed doses might not be bad, but going longer than that is probably not a good idea. There are all kinds of ways to compound meds - for oral use - that might make them more palatable and easier to give in food or lickable treats. So, you might want to look into this as an option and try it well before any vacation you might plan.

And test your cat with lickable treats to see if those might be a way to give the meds. Anyone coming into to take care of him in your absence could set a separate dish with the meds and the lickable treats for a better chance on him eating them - and it would also let the caretaker know if they are being ingested in case, he doesn't finish his regular food.

Have you increased the amount of Miralax you are giving him in case he just needs a larger dose? Also, are you mixing the Miralax with a bit of water first before adding to his food to ensure it is dissolved appropriately?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it's a medication like prednisone, skipping doses (unless you're doing a careful taper per your vet), could be very bad. If in doubt, talk to your cats vet if he ever needs medications. If worse came to worse, boarding at the vets would be your best option even though he wouldn't be necessarily happy. He would be sure to get his medications this way.
I had a cat that stressed badly in the car, but was on medical board a few times. He wasn't happy, but he was well cared for by a really great staff who sent me text updates and pictures just to let me know he was OK.
If it makes you feel any better, between home and work I have 4 cats that are 14, two that are 10, and one that is 8. Only three of them have ever needed any kind of medication (antibiotics and/or ear drops) their entire adult lives. They have been surprisingly healthy.