The " Gonna Be Wed " Thread!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I was married last July, but I had an exciting thing happen this week so I had to share! We absolutely loved our photographers who have a blog that hubby and I still keep up with. A few weeks ago she posted that she wants to do a 'Trash the Dress' shoot with a bride willing to totally mess up her dress. Here is the website that inspired her:

http://trashthedress.wordpress.com

I am such a candidate. I have no desire to keep my dress. I think we're going to do a water shoot since my dress is kinda 'mermaid like'

So my question to all the TCS brides is: are you attached to your dress? Would you trash it after the big day? I am so pumped about my opportunity.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by berylayn

So I was married last July, but I had an exciting thing happen this week so I had to share! We absolutely loved our photographers who have a blog that hubby and I still keep up with. A few weeks ago she posted that she wants to do a 'Trash the Dress' shoot with a bride willing to totally mess up her dress. Here is the website that inspired her:

I am such a candidate. I have no desire to keep my dress. I think we're going to do a water shoot since my dress is kinda 'mermaid like'

So my question to all the TCS brides is: are you attached to your dress? Would you trash it after the big day? I am so pumped about my opportunity.
I might be game. I mean, when will I ever wear it again?! I don't plan on marrying again and we'll already have great pics of it so why keep it.

I LOVE the pics in that link too. What a great idea.

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured its a once in a lifetime opportunity and we won't even have to pay for her time. She is so gung ho - its a free photo shoot with an awesome photographer. So many of my friends are super attached to their dress, but I agree with you twistychik, I am NEVER going to wear the thing again, I have my wedding pics, I might as well trash it!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked at the whole site and some people suggest donating it or selling it but I love good photography. I'm actually sending this link to my future BIL & SIL (they are also our photographers) I'm sure she'll be amped about trying it.

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody

I haven't been on for ages, so thought I'd start off with an update on the wedding plans. I got outfits for my 2 bridesmaids - what do you think?

I wanted something a little different and kept coming back to chocolate! The skirt is just below the knee, A-line. I picked up some really cute necklaces that will go well with the floral design. I'm having a fitting for my dress next week and I've ordered my tiara.

Rich's aunt has offered to make our cake, so now we just have to decide how we'd like it decorated. I think I found a florist that will do me a good price on bouquets, corsages and buttonholes and we've decided to use our favour boxes as centrepieces rather than have (v. expensive) floral arrangements on the tables.

Found a pianist for the ceremony too - I'm going to hear him play next week when I'm over in Ireland. Just £120 for 3-4 hours (guest arrivals, ceremony, pre-dinner drinks) which I thought was a great price. Still haven't decided on music for the civil ceremony though. Any ideas for me? My cousin walked down the "aisle" to Abba's "I do, I do, I do"

Our invitations went out and we are getting replies in thick and fast - we should have around 50 guests and another 30 or so who'll join for the evening party.

Rich has planned his stag do - a camping weekend in Pembrokeshire no doubt with some kayaking, climbing and biking thrown in for good measure. Myself and a few of the girls are having a nice meal out followed by a spa session the next day - what a treat! I can't wait. Rich tells me he has planned the honeymoon - it's all a surprise

Oh and we got our rings!!!!! Mine's a plain platinum band to match the engagement ring and Rich went for Titanium in the end.

So I feel like we are getting there slowly but surely. How are your plans all going ladies?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm under 4 weeks now and I can hardly believe it!
My future SIL has ordered a print of our engagement pictures for the guest book (we're doing the signed picture frame instead of the traditional book). All we have left to do is send our music to the DJ and pick up our narriage license.

Ideas for music... actually you can use the wedding march in a civil service. I think it's the catholic church that has a problem with it. Thats what I'm using (we're having a secular ceremony as well) because my dad really wanted it and I'm a daddy's girl. Originally I wanted to walk to "Only fools rush in" (Wise Men say only fools rush in but I cant help falling in love with you). I know someone else who used "crimson & clover". I say find a song that means something to you. Instead I'm going to use fools rush in as our recessional and From this moment on as the processional.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've got almost all the music picked... just need to sort it into dance or dinner and send copies to the DJ.

AND..... we're flying back up either Wednesday or Friday to get our marriage license!

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, it's an interesting idea, but I could not trash my dress! I love it so much! It's only from a department store, but I want to keep it.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, several people there have mentioned that their dresses even came clean after. Of course, if your really attached then you probably wouldn't want to chance it. I Figure I'll never wear it again, I don't wanna pressure my (non existant) daughter to wear it, and I'm not into keeping it boxed up in an attic so why not.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ooo!! I'm excited I can join this thread now!

still no date set yet, but we are thinking of marrying in the Traverse City, MI area. We are going to go vacation up there later on this summer and check some things out. Right now we're thinking semi-small wedding sometime next august or september. That's as far as we have gotten.

Originally Posted by berylayn

Ooooo Twistychik posted that site when I announced my engagement on here. I'm seriously thinking of doing that. Even though I'm sure the dress will be cleaned when I'm done with it, I'm purposely going to spend as little on my dress as possible so that I don't feel AS guilty about spending $$$$ only to trash it.
Originally Posted by alexa

Hi everybody

I haven't been on for ages, so thought I'd start off with an update on the wedding plans. I got outfits for my 2 bridesmaids - what do you think?
SO LOVE THAT DRESS!!!!

Can your bridesmaids post it on eBay when they're done? I might make my bridemaids buy it

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
11 days to go!! I have so much to do still and we still havn't heard from some people. My final fitting is Wednesday before the wedding and I have my fianl meetings with my reception site planner, singer and dj. It's getting so close!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

So, how are the final preperations coming along Meaghan?
Great! I just e-mailed the guitarist with my music selections for seating and the ceremony. We're flying up tomorrow or Friday to get our marriage license. All I have left to do are pick up a few small things (like a garter), wrap my gifts for others and send my CD's to the DJ.

Originally Posted by eburgess

11 days to go!! I have so much to do still and we still havn't heard from some people. My final fitting is Wednesday before the wedding and I have my fianl meetings with my reception site planner, singer and dj. It's getting so close!
Weeee!!! How exciting! Hope all your final meeting go well.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question for those that have already booked their places -

Do the ceremony/reception sites need to be legit? Reason why I am asking is that fiance and I are thinking about renting a house in the Traverse City area (for a week), but having the ceremony and reception there as well. I'm voting for a house that faces Lake Michigan or the Traverse Bay.

So far, fiance has liked the idea.
We currently do not have a lot of money and probably will receive little financial assistance from my parents (they're retired) and his parents have passed on.

I just don't know if I would have to inform the people that I'm renting the house from or if we can just go a head an do it.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Question for those that have already booked their places -

Do the ceremony/reception sites need to be legit? Reason why I am asking is that fiance and I are thinking about renting a house in the Traverse City area (for a week), but having the ceremony and reception there as well. I'm voting for a house that faces Lake Michigan or the Traverse Bay.

So far, fiance has liked the idea.
We currently do not have a lot of money and probably will receive little financial assistance from my parents (they're retired) and his parents have passed on.

I just don't know if I would have to inform the people that I'm renting the house from or if we can just go a head an do it.
I don't see how this would be any different that having it as say a parents house providing you have permission from the people your renting from! I LOVE Traverse Bay... it's really beautiful!

And drum roll! I'm getting married (at Mackinaw Island) in .... 4 days!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's true. My only concern is that the rental will be upped in price (even though they truely aren't suppose to do that) if we mention "wedding".

How exciting!! Only 4 more days for you! You must be so excited!!!!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you all are lucky to have had so much time to plan for one. I had to plan mine in less than a month! It was a bit short notice because we were moving(military) and I wanted to have it done on the beach. It turned out fabulous though!!! My step-mom is a part time wedding planner so everything turned out like any other wedding. Even the reception! Here's a few ways we had cut down the cost, maybe it'll help you all too.
The veil was bought at Michael's craft store for about $20 with the comb thing already attached too. Much better than renting one for double that. My bouquet was ordered from a flower shop but we saved money by just ordering the flowers. My step-mom arranged them into the nose-gay(sp?).
The decorations were a mix of silk and real flowers & ivy. and we were able to use the church's candelabras too. Instead of a huge main centerpiece, I chose a large hurricane glass and candle with some flowers around it. (I'm the simple kind of type.)
The cake we ordered from Publix (Yum!) and the icing we stuck to buttermilk but with the super smooth sheet icing look. That saved us about $60! You couldn't tell the difference plus it tasted better.
The reception was at a Days Inn banquet hall, $100. They rented crystal glasses, china and silverware with cloth napkins and tablecloths that matched my wedding colors! They even had two of their employees come as waiters and servers in tuxedos! Not bad for a Days Inn. My dad was the DJ with his laptop having the songs and play lists. We used our own giant speakers system and had set up everything there the night before so the manager could lock it up for us.
The dress I had bought from a boutique for about $240. It was last years dress that everyone tried on before they ordered it from the catalog. (What's the name for that?) It only needed a minor fix for the bustle and buttons, which a friend did wonderfully.
And my step-sister did my hair, saving us about $40 at a salon.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so super awesome! I like the cost alternatives!!! I swear half the stuff I have been looking at I keep think we're never going to afford all of this!!!

That's great though for everything you did in a month!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I almost forgot one big one, the food. One of my neighbors helped us cook all the lasagna for the dinner. Sam's is a great place to buy stuff in huge quantities for cheap.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm Married!!!! We got married 15 days ago. We just got back from our honeymoon. Here are some pictures!!!

My Husband and Me

My Bridemaids. They were go pretty!!

Our Groomsmen.