The " Gonna Be Wed " Thread!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

HOLY GEEZ! $7,000?!?! Where do you live and do they have jobs for professional flutists and Foreign Poliicy Researchers that have a specialization Islam and Arabic Language?!?!?!

Our reception, and that's just food, booze, rentals and the place, is $15,000. And that is an absolutely STEAL around here. It's UNHEARD OF to get the price we did. 7K?!?!?! How did you do it girl??!
I live just an hour south of Cleveland, OH. And it is $22.95/person for buffet style($3878.55), $5.75/person for Hors d'Oeuvres($971.75), $195/keg(we're only getting one) $1.30/soda(we're estimating here on $650), $150 for the wedding site and then chairs and delivery of chairs. BUT the best things are that we get:
Wedding planner(which I'M happy about)
linens
cake service
use of the pool deck and gazebo
china
bartenders and servers
TEE TIMES THE DAY OF THE WEDDING(which Trav is happy about)
room rentel for 5 hours
set up anf tear down
limited decorating

So it's definately a steal! We are looking other places though. We also found out that Trav's stepmom will probably be paying for most of it. My parents have a lot of health problems so won't be able to pay for much and we woule have to take out a loan to pay for it. So that is exciting news. She also has connections with florists and I have connections with photographers do that's exciting.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I am engaged too, have been for 2 yrs and counting. The distance thing is hard to work through, but everytime we had decided on a date, my fiancee had the time off revolked for some reason at work. So we are going onto our 3rd strike, so to speak lol.

As for my plans, I want to get married in a scotish kilt. I have it planned, and saving for it now. Always been one of my 2 wants for when I got married that I would not compromise on. Everything else I was fair game on. And even too the point of "if that is what you want" consent. I have it picked out, will cost $1500 for the complete outfit, and mine to wear again in the future. If I get one add on, then the price is $2000. It will be made in Scotland, has 8 yrds of material in the kilt itself, and is hand made from new pure wool.

So where we are, is we have to pick a new date, and a location, eloping is looking like a real possibility right now. Can anyone say Vegas, here we come????

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe british weddings are more expensive - ours is £11K including everything, venue, food, drinks, dress, cakes, flowers - honeymoon to the carribean!
My friends have spent around 9K or 10K. A colleague is spending £18K but she has a LOT more guests than us. We're getting married on a monday as this is the only way we could afford our dream venue: Gosfield hall http://www.brideshead.co.uk
It's just gorgeous!

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessy

Maybe british weddings are more expensive
I read in a bridal mag that the average cost of a UK wedding is about £17K!!! I think that's an outrageous sum of money. I expect ours to be £10-12K, which is more than enough...

We're getting married on a monday as this is the only way we could afford our dream venue: Gosfield hall
That venue is stunning!!!
We're also getting married on a Monday and as a result, a lot of things are cheaper or even free

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That venue is stunning!!!
We're also getting married on a Monday and as a result, a lot of things are cheaper or even free
[/quote]

Wow, I'm so pleased to find someone else getting married on a monday! How have you found it with your guests? And Wow what did you get for free?!
I've found a videographer where we only have to pay his travel costs as he does commercial videos at the mo and now wants to break into wedding videos.

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Wow, I'm so pleased to find someone else getting married on a monday! How have you found it with your guests? And Wow what did you get for free?!
My guests have been great about the Monday and most are planning to make a weekend out of their trip to Ireland. We're doing a hag party on the Saturday night, then on Sunday we'll do a BBQ on the beach. It'll give people the chance to get to know each other before the big day.

So far we got a reduction on the ceremony fees and room hire for the reception. Our venue is also offering 3 out of the following 5 things when you get married Mon-Thurs:
1. Reduced evening room hire of 25% discount on the main banqueting suite.
2. Complimentary tea/coffee and homemade shortbread on arrival/post ceremony for your wedding guests.
3. Fresh fruit, chocolates and bottle of chilled bubbly in your bridal suite when you arrive.
4. Luxurious champagne breakfast served to your room on the morning following your special day.
5. Complimentary over-night accommodation and full Irish breakfast on your first anniversary.

not sure which 3 we'll go for yet!

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Man, how i envy you guys!!!
I'm officially engaged and now that bf has announced it to his mum, too, we can start the big organizing thing, like, getting the documents, reserving tables etc.

Unfortunately, we had to scale things down, so from my more-or-less dream wedding - white dress, lots of people, flowers galore etc etc - all that is left will be a simple administration act, signing papers and lunching with our parents and siblings...I really miss not being able to invite my best friends
including some still significant persons (to me they are - my soon-to-be hubby hissed "none of your exes!!!"
)

But I'm trying to console myself with the thought that in a few years
from now we hopefully will celebrate things in style and not cut down on just about anything for the sake of petting his damaged bank account...and it wasn't me who damaged it!

Well now I'm mentally preparing for this extremely low-key thing, probably no invitations since there will be only 8 other people involved out of which 2 are kids and one is his best buddy...and I had had *such* lovely ideas...
ok, maybe I Will make invitations or thank-you-cards after all, but right now I'm a bit down as far as that is concerned...

Next thing we#ll get him a suit - not easy if you're scraping 5 ft4 and ...erm...just a little overweight
and I'll go looking for some make-up, all in the shell-salmon-rose-orange color range. Add a bouquet in similar to that and maybe a pair of matching loafers and that's all.
I hope we will reserve a table at a very good Indian restaurant we've been to recently, but it might be a bit tricky if his mom comes along cause she's really conservative and except for an occasional pizza she's not into non-German food

In fact the only thing we could fix so far is that we will get married at a certain town hall, not the one where we live (a dull gray chunk of concrete) but one that is like half an hour's drive away.
Sorry if I sound a bit whiney, just feeling a bit down right now

CU
Mary

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Minerva, for all the trouble I've had your ceremony sound delightfull! Just remember that this should be about the marriage and not the wedding. Oh, and I did invite my 2 best friends (as brides maids) and neither of them can make it.

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay! I'm so excited!
Only 5 more weeks to go and things are coming together very nicely!

Tomorrow we're going to get my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]s documents, like birth certificate, residence certificate and we'll dash over to where we will get married to hand them in. His sister asked a few days ago what my bouquet will be like, colorwise, so she could fine-tune the table decorations for when we're coming home from the restaurant and some cake will be served
Still need to shorten the seam of my costume's trousers, check with the restaurant and pamper myself a bit in the coming weeks, but that's about it*proud grin* Can't wait for 27th April!*excited squeal*

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm back in Ireland doing some more preparations for the wedding.

On Thursday morning I had a hair trial.... not totally successful and I'm still undecided if I'll wear my hair up or down.

Then I went shopping with my sister for bridesmaids outifts. It was really fun watching her try on all these different dresses. We thought we were going to be unsuccessful until we were just walking out of one department store and I spotted a top and skirt set - and it was gorgeous on AND 20% off as the shop had a sale on

The knee-length skirt is a dark rich chocolate brown satin-like material and the bodice is cream silk with a chocolate overlay in floral shapes. Really unusual but just perfect. I also got the same outfit for my other bridesmaid who is flying in from Australia for the wedding. I hope it fits her!!! I managed to squeeze into it myself so she should be just fine. I took some pictures and will upload them when I get back to Wales.

What else...... got the materials to make evening invitations and thank-you cards and on Monday I'm going to speak to a couple of florists to get some quotes.

Still a couple of things to do but I'm really getting excited now

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oo just found this thread , how could i miss? lol anyways as you will see from my sig our wedding is on july 14th 2007. were not doing nothing big , gonna be held in a reg office , hired out a pub for the reception , and thats about it really , got my dress and other bits and pieces , but god its getting close lol

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 months and counting!!!!!! I had my 2nd fitting today and I am very excited. Everything is going to look beautiful!!! I can't wait!!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations to you all.. :claps:

I dont think i could go through the whole stress, Im just going to be spontanious, buy my dress and get married and then post pictures to you all

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish we'd gone spontaneous but both our parents would have flipped.

Update: I just ordered Matt's wedding band. My tummy feels all fluttery now! LOL I never thought buying his ring would make me feel like this but I got a great deal on a platinum band through e-wedding bands.com and their customer service to date had been phenominal. Hopefully I'll have it with in the week.

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
25 days and counting!!!

Oh man, I'm soooo excited!!!!
We went to choose our wedding rings on Friday, got the final regulations and bills paid on Thursday and yesterday I could finally reserve a table for 11 in our restaurant, yay!

The administration building where we will be married looks soooo much nicer (well-renovated barocco palace-like mansion
) than the place where we'd get married if we stayed in our town cause right now it's being rebuilt and it was a really ugly-looking slab of concrete from the 50s and now it's a huge construction site...

This morning I also managed to finish the invitations for the barbecue/wedding/DH's birthday party we're having the day after...

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to tell you guys that Scott and I officially became engaged on St Patrick's Day!!! It was our 5 year anniversary! We plan on getting married on St. Patty's day next year! We don't plan on anything real big, and we hope we can go to Vegas.

Here's the ring!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a pretty sparkley!

Matt's ring cma today. It's plain and simple like he wanted. I'm not entirely happy w/ the engraving. I wanted the font to match my ring but I don't think there's anough space to do it that way. Oh well. Invitations went out today... so, no turning back now! LOL

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! Its still hard to believe!

Congrats on getting the invitations out! It will be here before you know it.

Scott doesn't care what he gets for a ring. Nice huh?
But I want it to match at least. He's an accountant, so almost anything will work. Oh well, we'll worry about that later. When should I start dress shopping?

What does the engraving say?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

Thanks guys! Its still hard to believe!

Congrats on getting the invitations out! It will be here before you know it.

Scott doesn't care what he gets for a ring. Nice huh?
But I want it to match at least. He's an accountant, so almost anything will work. Oh well, we'll worry about that later. When should I start dress shopping?

What does the engraving say?
Well, by the time Matt proposed we only had 9 month to plan. I bought my dress in Nov. so something like 8 months before the wedding. We could have waited. It's been at my parents for months. I'd say somewhere between 5-6 months in advance in case you need any major alterations.

His inscription says "Love is most valuable when it's a struggle to achieve." It has special meaning for me especially because we were together for 3 years (with a 3 month separation) before he realized he really did love me.