The Full Body Stroke...

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I'm wondering, do some cats actually like, or are okay, with being petted down their neck and spine? I try to avoid that because I always see or hear that cat's don't like being stroked and it should be avoided; but with Nikita it almost seems like she likes it. When I go to pet her, she enjoys being scratched on the tip of her head and nose, in front of her ears and seems okay with her cheeks. She also seems to like being scratched at the base of her tail, moreso than Prince does (He doesn't like it) and then I notice that when I give her a full body stroke, from the top of her head down her neck and spine towards her tail, she doesn't move away but rather lays down on the ground and lets me continue to pet her.

So, I'm left wondering, I've always thought this was an "absolutely don't do because all cats hate it" thing, but maybe some cats actually don't mind it? Is that possible?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two cats are okay with it when I even get their tails involved. Nose to tippy tail.
My tortie does not appreciate this. My tuxedo will let me do it in small doses.
Woman, get it over with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah, thank you. I was curious, I guess it's not so bad then. Not sure Prince cares for it much, though neither has reacted negatively as far as I can tell from petting them. My guess is it's just like they say for true/false questions on tests "If the statement says all/always/none, then the answer is false"

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both my boys like nice long strokes. One likes scratches a little better, but I scratch all the way down his side and he circles back for more (when he's in the mood - he can be shy)