The flu maybe?

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I've come down with the flu or something. The past two nights I've had fevers of around 101 degrees. The fever yesterday was gone by morning but back by 1am this evening. I'm coughing pretty bad and I'm not sleeping very much. My head feels funny and I can't really stand for very long. I've also been kind of sick to my stomach, but I'm not sure if that's part of what I have or the cough syrup. The best part, too, I don't have health insurance! So I'm kind of stuck with the home remedies. Fun times!

I'm also bored out of my mind. The kitties are going crazy because I haven't been able to play with them (other than sit on the couch and wave the wand, they get bored in a minute or two). My husband is also sick. He had to call off work tomorrow, which is pretty unusual for him. He doesn't miss work unless he's feeling really bad.

I really don't like being sick, I'm usually very active and I want to workout so bad! I'm not going to but I want to! So I've been watching old episodes of Xena on hulu. LOL

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is flu season and those sound like the symptoms. There is no cure for the flu, so you just have to ride it out.

Drink plenty of fluids....and I mean LOTS! You need to stay hydrated. Take Tylenol for the aches and the fever. Stay in bed and rest and sleep as much as you can.

For the cough you can take a cough suppressant cough medicine like Benalyn. Or if you have Tylenol #3 which has codeine in it, that works better to suppress a cough than over the counter cough syrups.

And try to stay away from people so you don't pass it along to them. So if you work, stay home!

If you still have symptoms, other than a residual cough, after 7 days, then go to a doctor because it is no longer the flu at that point. With the flu, it's normal to have a cough for some days after all of the other symptoms have gone away.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With flu, there generally are body aches all over and higher temperatures than what you have had. There are many viruses, etc. that could cause the symptoms you have. I am sorry you are sick and hope that you will make a quick recovery.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It is flu season and those sound like the symptoms. There is no cure for the flu, so you just have to ride it out.

Drink plenty of fluids....and I mean LOTS! You need to stay hydrated. Take Tylenol for the aches and the fever. Stay in bed and rest and sleep as much as you can.

For the cough you can take a cough suppressant cough medicine like Benalyn. Or if you have Tylenol #3 which has codeine in it, that works better to suppress a cough than over the counter cough syrups.

And try to stay away from people so you don't pass it along to them. So if you work, stay home!

If you still have symptoms, other than a residual cough, after 7 days, then go to a doctor because it is no longer the flu at that point. With the flu, it's normal to have a cough for some days after all of the other symptoms have gone away.
And if you're not better after 7 days, you might want to check around for any free clinics in your area.