The Fleas are winning advice on alternative to Fronline Plus

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  This is the 1st year that frontline plus is not working at all..Its like I haven't even put it on... I have two Persians and 4 Siamese They all get frontlined regulary ..The Persians get monthly baths also.... I have 1 golden Retriever who gets flea baths and Frontline he has also been on a antibiotic and prendisone for 10 days due to allergy skin..probably from flea Bites........ I do have rugs in the house I vacumm daily sometimes twice.... No signs of fleas in the house just on the pets!        I have always used frontline and it has worked well.  Not so this year..I'm leary of other topical drops as I have heard Horror stories about other brands.. What else have any of you used with no health issues to the kitties that also have worked? I am thinking I should give another brand a try for a few months and see if this will help...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Advantage has always worked for me. Be sure to use Advantage, not K9 Advantix, for the dog. . .Advantix is VERY toxic to cats so you don't want to risk it.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use advantage II, and it's always worked great for me. Fleas love me so I want them dead or unable to bite ASAP. On the dogs we use canine advantixII because it also repels mosquitos and is waterproof ( a requirement for my dogs). I've never had a home infestation while using either product even when I found fleas on the animal themselves but that was always when first got them. All three of my cats had fleas when I first got them. 

riccadawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Advantage II has worked well for me too. River had terrible fleas when we found her as a kitten and within an hour of applying the Advantage II we just watched the fleas start falling off of her. It was pretty impressive.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
Advantage II has worked well for me too. River had terrible fleas when we found her as a kitten and within an hour of applying the Advantage II we just watched the fleas start falling off of her. It was pretty impressive.
plus, Advantage has 3 different sizes -- under 5 pounds, 5-9 pounds, and over 9 pounds. for any cat over 8 weeks.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use Revolution because it also protects against heartworms, which is a concern here.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't see fleas in the house, but if there are fleas on the pets there will be eggs, larvae and pupae in the house as well.  Vaccuuming helps a bit but doesn't clear it completely.

The following gives lots of good information though not all the products it mentions are available in the US, or are under a different name.  However it gives the active ingredients which should help:

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fleas/info.html

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I do, I switch the medicines every month or so.  So one month, I'll use Revolution, the next Frontline Plus and so on.  Reason?  Fleas, like any other thing in life build up a tolerance to medicines if you keep using the same all the time, and they produce offspring that have the same tolerance.  So try not using Frontline Plus for a couple of months and see if that helps.  Vacuuming often helps, too.  Along with washing all the linens you can.  I also recommend giving them a bath in Dawn dish soap.  It kills a lot of fleas and then when they are dry, try placing a new medicine besides Frontline Plus.  I like Revolution the best but others swear by Advantage II... I've just never been impressed with Advantage or II. 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Revolution fan myself, however my new kitten had a few fleas so I had to treat him when I got him. My vet was out of Revolution so I used Advantage Multi and it worked like a charm.

Previously, I had spent $30 on a kitten box of FrontLine and I saw minimal results. It killed some of the fleas, but the ones it didn't just started hanging around near his privates. I asked the vet about this and she told me that fleas have simply developed a tolerance to FL. It's sold OTC (even generics)so everyone uses it and therefore fleas are just used to it.

I'm not wasting my money on it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a spray for the rugs and floors I bought from the vet and have sprayed the whole house... The Siamese A bath it would be IMPOSSIBLE to bath them I think they would actually break a bone struggling to get away..The persians have been bathed...I just used frontline on the Siamese a few days ago and it seems like it has agitated the fleas not killed them.  As I can not bath them to get the frontliner off. I wonder how long I need to wait untill I use the Advantage II???? Any thoughts on how long untill I use the Advantage?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't sell "Advantage" anymore, just "Advantage II"--it's the update.

I think you can apply it 2 weeks after the other stuff. If you want instant satisfaction, get some Capstar (you can buy the large size and a pill splitter, and give them 1/4 of a tablet to save money over buying the small size)---it's really gratifying to see the fleas dropping off, LOL.

Will your cats allow you to comb them with a flea comb? That's what I would do in the interim.