The Extra Little Claw

Rinalynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I'm new to this site but I just wanted to ask and see what people might think. My cat has thumbs on her front paws and an extra little claw between her normal pad and thumb kind of like where the webbing between our thumb and pointer finger on our hand is. Im not going to declaw her by any means, but the 6th claw is very thick, hard to get to to trim, and dark so it's hard to see how far to trim it. Of course as it grows, it curls and I'm worried about it growing into her pad and becoming painful and/or infected. I don't want to take her in to the vet or groomer every few weeks just have two claws trimmed. It's stressfull on her.
Does anyone have ideas?
Would it be worth having the two extra claws removed so they don't cause problems in the future?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! If that is what I think it is, I believe they are called cutaneous horns/claws?
That being the case, I have seen a few threads about it on this site. Here is a link to those threads, if you would be interested in reading any of them.

Search Results for Query: cutaneous horns | TheCatSite

I am sure some of the members who have had personal experience with this will eventually find time to log on, read your post, and offer their first hand knowledge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rinalynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! I don't think it's a cutaneous horn. It's growing like a normal claw would, you can see the quick on one but the other one is too dark. Here's a picture of one side that is clipped, it's easier to access than the other.

It's the other side in worried about growing into her pad. We are keeping an eye on it for now and trying to trim it with small cat nail clippers. Has anyone else had a cat with a claw in this spot?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like preaxial polydactyly to me. You can read a little about that phenomenon here: Polydactyl cat - Wikipedia
I understand why it would be difficult to trim.

Here's another thread where a poster described a similar problem, although there wasn't any solution posed in that thread:
Polydactyl Claw Clipping - Sensitive Hidden Claw?

And here's a thread in which declawing of the extra claws was discussed, but the poster ended up just clipping the claws:
Polydactyl Kitten Selective Declaw Opinions

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was going to direct you to another thread about this from Suru Suru , thinking that they found solution. But, see you already found it.
edit: nevermind what I said before, I thought I was responding to another thread. derp.

Last edited: