The Exercise Motivation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We walked to the post office then I had so much energy we kept on walking. I think we did about 2 1/2 miles this morning.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, l got up at 3:30 this morning to get a good treadmill walk in before work. l did less than 2 miles, but it felt like a good start.

But wow, am l tired tonight! lt was rough going at the end of my 12 hour shift. l think l'll go back to walking when l get home from work.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Question....what would some of those poses do to my back? With four blown disks in my lower back, I really worry about getting into something I can't get out of, if that makes any sense.
You might be able to do some of the yoga.  The focus is about balance and alignment; head balanced on neck, balanced on spine, balanced on pelvis/hips, balanced on legs, balanced on feet.  Everything should be aligned.  The trick, that I've found for me, is to keep the butt tight.  It's really amazing that whenever I tighten my butt muscles, everything else suddenly lines up and balances.  But it takes focus and energy, for sure. 

Pilates might be more difficult, with a lot of stomach crunch/roll type exercises.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have a yoga/pilates-type DVD that came with my ball....I never opened it. (It made dear Richard laugh too much when I'd fall off the ball!
)

3 miles on the treadmill this morning.

ETA: Whoa! I just saw the pics of your treadmill, Andrya! Nice! Very nice! I want one! (And when my treadmill dies, I will have one!) You can look forward to many years of your treadmill. You got up at 3:30 this morning? You sound like me!

Mani, thank you for your ideas. And for the PM. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. Will check the PM out more when I get home from work tonight.

FIRST HEADACHE-FREE DAY SINCE EARLY LAST WEEK!!!
 It's amazing how great you can feel without a headache!

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Question....what would some of those poses do to my back? With four blown disks in my lower back, I really worry about getting into something I can't get out of, if that makes any sense.
You need to be really careful with forward bends.. and that doesn't just mean from standing.  All those first poses that Furmonster Mom is doing are kinds of forward bends/inverted poses... body folded towards itself. Bend your knees to take the strain off the back with any forward bends/inverted poses.

Marjariasana (cat pose) is really good.. but you have to do any poses with breath/awareness focus and then you can't go wrong as you stop before you find yourself in an inappropriate position.

I've pm'd you one of my home sheets that can work with backs, but with the leg circling you may need to bend the opposite knee for back support.   I do the sheets in Publisher, and so I've converted it to an image.  If you like the look of it but it's not clear, let me know and I'll try a PDF.

I'm not a yoga therapist... my Yoga aim is a meditative mind.  But these are practices that I do as asana (postures) for people with back issues, as long as they're not too bad.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! Furmonster Mom. Way to go. You look great doing those poses - and yes always important to breath!! Lol! I certainly will never have that problem with my fried eggs!!!
Andrya that is dedication 3.30am!! Well done. I hope you are loving it. It's an awesome looking machine.
Dejolane good work. Keep going.
Feralvr good work. If it makes you feel good then thats the most important thing! it is for me anyway. Health first then new jeans second!!
Abbysmom. Thanks for the encouragement. You are clocking up some good miles! Well done!!
Winchester you are back!! I'm glad to hear your headache is gone Yay! And those miles are piling up again! Great work. You are a champ.
I had my two days off and got back into it today. 60 mins with Jillian Michaels.
KEEP IT UP EVERYBODY! GO! GO! GO!

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
60 minutes, Tammat?!!
 I don't know how you do it! I've looked at some of JM's DVDs....they would kill me; I wouldn't be able to move for a week.

July was not one of my better months walking-wise. I managed 116.2 miles, not including the elliptical miles from back when my knee was hurting again. I didn't walk at all for three days, but for two of those days, I did use the elliptical. That third day was this past Saturday when the headache was really bad. There were a few days in there, too, that I only managed 2 - 2.5 miles daily.

But..........I got a Fitbit badge for my first 250 lifetime miles! I got my Fitbit back on June 22 and, since then, I've put in 250 miles of walking. That's not just my walks; that's also from working in the garden, walking in the stores, vacuuming, etc. Still, I'll take it. I don't know why they don't give badges for 100, 150, 200 miles. I do have a badge for the first 50 miles, and then daily badges for record steps. And now my 250-mile badge. I'm thinking I probably won't get another one til I have 500 miles down. Or maybe 25,000 steps in one day.....for me, that would be hard to do. Some days it's all I can do to get 20,000 steps.

3 miles this morning on the treadmill.

2.4 miles walking with Rick tonight.

Met my Fitbit goals today.

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
60 minutes, Tammat?!!

I don't know how you do it! I've looked at some of JM's DVDs....they would kill me; I wouldn't be able to move for a week.

July was not one of my better months walking-wise. I managed 116.2 miles, not including the elliptical miles from back when my knee was hurting again. I didn't walk at all for three days, but for two of those days, I did use the elliptical. That third day was this past Saturday when the headache was really bad. There were a few days in there, too, that I only managed 2 - 2.5 miles daily.

But..........I got a Fitbit badge for my first 250 lifetime miles! I got my Fitbit back on June 22 and, since then, I've put in 250 miles of walking. That's not just my walks; that's also from working in the garden, walking in the stores, vacuuming, etc. Still, I'll take it. I don't know why they don't give badges for 100, 150, 200 miles. I do have a badge for the first 50 miles, and then daily badges for record steps. And now my 250-mile badge. I'm thinking I probably won't get another one til I have 500 miles down. Or maybe 25,000 steps in one day.....for me, that would be hard to do. Some days it's all I can do to get 20,000 steps.

3 miles this morning on the treadmill.
250 miles!!! That's over 400 kilometres!! Woo Hoo!!! That's so far. Unbelievable!! I've been doing two JM DVDs but having a break in between. It's not easy but its over quickly. I have lived through it so far!!!
I am amazed at how far you and the others walk. 250 miles! That's 4 hours drive in the car. Well done.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Well done to all of you! :clap:

Those are great pics Furmonster Mom! I may have to give it a go sometime.

Congrats on your badge, Pam. :clap:

In the past three days I've walked 5 miles, 4 miles, and 4 miles.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Kudos, Karen! Great job! It's amazing how much better we feel when the weather cooperates!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3 miles this morning on the treadmill. Today, the time went fairly quickly, too. Some mornings it takes forever to get through those miles, but today, it was zoom, zoom, and done!

2 miles on the treadmill last night. Rick went for his walk, but I was busy with pickles. So I hit the treadmill when I was finished.

Met my Fitbit goals.

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
75 mins with Jillian for me today. I also walked to the video shop instead of driving- that was for your challenge Abbysmom!! It was a terrible day here today. Cold and rainy and then it cleared and the sun shone for a little while. It was perfect for me and my kids to get some fresh air thanks Abbysmom!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good on ya for spending time with JM Tammat! That woman is mean!! :lol3: I'm sure she could whip my big butt into shape though if I let her.

I've been walking lots recently, and hopped back on the cycle for an hour the other day. I've been doing lots of physical work painting our friend's house lately, so I've eased up on my regular exercise.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
60 mins Jillian Michaels workouts today for me. Yep she is mean!!!;) Her workouts make me feel great though and she has whipped my butt into shape. Keep up the good work pushylady. Painting is killer work. The end result can change a house completely though. Hope your friends place looks great.
KEEP GOING EVERYONE!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
75 mins with Jillian for me today. I also walked to the video shop instead of driving- that was for your challenge Abbysmom!! It was a terrible day here today. Cold and rainy and then it cleared and the sun shone for a little while. It was perfect for me and my kids to get some fresh air thanks Abbysmom!!
Challenge? What challenge? What did I miss??? Kudos for your walk!

Painting is work....in my book anyway. So you're still getting some exercise...good job!

I didn't get a night walk in, but with all the cleaning and such I was doing on Sunday, I hit 17,000 steps. That counts for something!

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Challenge? What challenge? What did I miss??? Kudos for your walk!
Painting is work....in my book anyway. So you're still getting some exercise...good job!

Oh sorry it's the weight loss thread challenge. Good one on your morning walk. I hope it went quickly today.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to not scroll through all the pages 
  but has anyone tried the lnsanity 60 day challenge workouts?

l saw the videos and felt like trying it. Checked out ebay and got the 13 dvd set at half the cost, so l'll have to wait about a week to get them.

lt looks like a great way to ramp up my fitness level pretty quickly, which is what l'm looking for.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
60 mins JM workouts for me today. I'm doing 4 different workouts for the week and switching them around. I think that's a good thing? It's giving me some variety anyway. Plus I ordered a new DVD today from good old ebay!
I think Peaches does something similar to the insanity workouts Andrya. Please let us know what you think. You go for it!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
3,25 miles on the treadmill this morning....and that will probably be all I'll get today. Things are really hectic right now and I don't see a walk in my night tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.