The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good work Norachan. :clap:
I did my hamstrings- look out wobbly bits I'm coming to get ya!!! My triceps and shoulders. that's anither week done and dusted. Two rest days for me now.
Keep going you guys. I'll be checking up on you ;)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Decided to ride my bike down to visit some friends in the village. It was a 90 minute bike ride altogether. 30 minutes there and an hour back. That's what you get when you live on the side of a mountain. :sweat:
I have never been at a mountain, but I have seen those Tour de France riders going up a hill quite fast, hill steepness is something I would think being impossible to climb at all with bicycle.

For me it is great achievement to bike 500 meters 7% incline or 200 meters of 15% incline, at mountain I would not get up if I would ride down, or I think it would be like that.

I think you must be in great shape to be able to ride up and taking only twice the time it took when going down!

Oh, it would be dangerous for me to ride at mountain, because I like the speed and I don't use brakes at downhills, I usually pedal more speed and try to make new speed record. That combined with occasional dizziness and migraine that hits like lightning from the clear sky and makes me almost blind at instant, is not so good, but person likes what person likes, it is very difficult not to ride over 60km/h down on gravel road as it is some way so nice.

I did today some axe handle carving with axe (that is like moving 2kg weight up and down hundreds of times), also some log splitting and I did ride to shop and back with bicycle, coming back I did ride quite fast, I have 27 gears and I was on top gear most of the time, even at those small uphills, tail wind is really nice thing :D

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my chest and biceps this morning. This week I'm doing lighter weights with more reps. It was really hard. I was surprised how hard. Then I did 40 mins cardio with Rohan. Running and then tabata. I haven't done any cardio for three weeks. It was all a bit of a shock to the system! A good shock.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never been at a mountain, but I have seen those Tour de France riders going up a hill quite fast, hill steepness is something I would think being impossible to climb at all with bicycle.

For me it is great achievement to bike 500 meters 7% incline or 200 meters of 15% incline, at mountain I would not get up if I would ride down, or I think it would be like that.

I think you must be in great shape to be able to ride up and taking only twice the time it took when going down!

I have to admit that I don't cycle up the really steep parts. If it's too much effort in first gear I get off and push. 
 There is a Mount Fuji Cycle Race that goes all the way up to 2000 meters, but it's only for nutters.

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/guest-post-the-brutal-mt-fuji-and-the-tour-of-japan/

I did an hour of yoga on Saturday, but spent all day Sunday and today out in the garden. There is so much that needs to be done, chopping, hauling, raking, digging, clearing and planting. I think I must have done about four hours of non-stop activity today.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to admit that I don't cycle up the really steep parts. If it's too much effort in first gear I get off and push. :lol3:  There is a Mount Fuji Cycle Race that goes all the way up to 2000 meters, but it's only for nutters.

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/guest-post-the-brutal-mt-fuji-and-the-tour-of-japan/

I did an hour of yoga on Saturday, but spent all day Sunday and today out in the garden. There is so much that needs to be done, chopping, hauling, raking, digging, clearing and planting. I think I must have done about four hours of non-stop activity today.
I did adjust gearing of my bicycle, it has 22 teeth ring at front and 36 teeth ring at back when I'm using 1st gear, it is easier to bicycle up most hills than it is to walk them up, it is also great when roads are muddy, only limit is traction :D
However when hill is really steep it gets quite heavy even with that gearing, but on those even walking is hard so that I have to wait after ten steps or so for pulse to come down from dangerous level.

That bicycle race looks unhealthy ;)

Great job with your long exercise! :clap:

I had to keep rest day yesterday, my ankle is getting worse and worse, also I think that I have strained muscle from left arm as I can't use that muscle much more than few seconds until it start to burn, eh, not actually catch fire, but there is pain that feels like burning.

Today I did lift some 4 meters long logs, largest was over 25cm thick, I did fill tractor's trailer with those, amazing thing was that it was not hard at all for core, only bit between elbow and wrist seemed that it was lacking strength, but clearly doing a lot seem to build up some strength.

I wish it would stop snowing wet snow so that I could continue my wood felling.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did 5 mins on the elliptical, 5 mins jog. 4 mins tabata. 10 mins short and shorter runs with intervals of 10 burpees. 4 more mins tabata. 10 more mins of runs with intervals of 10 swinging lunges. I was awake until 2am with my daughter sick. I got a little nap in before my exercise but I was tired. My bedtime is 9.30pm 10.00 pm at the latest. I hope tonight is better. My other daughter was sick for four nights first. Oh the joys :lol3:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good work, people! 
 We are having some issues with one of our elderly cats, so I went home yesterday at lunch to check on him. Rick stayed home with him today, so I'm hoping I can get a walk in during lunch.  Things are a bit hectic right now.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did 4 hours of moving logs and cutting down some tiny trees, there was way too much of them growing so I had to remove those.

It also did help bit with scenery as now I can see to large opening next to my property, there will be forest in 10 years or so but now there is some wildlife that I can spot as hundreds of 'sticks' are not blocking the view.

Then I did bicycle 1km uphill and with strong headwind, it was about 20km/h wind and I did ride about 20km/h against it up the 4% slope, legs were burning at the top, after that 500 meters against wind at relatively level ground and I got lot of pain to my side.
Then I came back of course, but it was tailwind and downhill so I needed to just sit and speed was still quite fast.

Lots of sweating, so I need good bathing at sauna next, just need first to cut some dry firewood and carry 80kg of water for bit over 160m as I don't have waterline for sauna, so to get sauna ready for bathing will give yet another sweat.

I would like to lose 35-40 pounds, not sure if that will really happen but it would be nice.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I did an hour of yard work yesterday. It's so cold, even while I'm gathering up wood and trying to pile it up my fingers and toes are numb. I gave up when it started snowing.

Just about to start yoga now.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep going everybody.

Bless your baby cat Pam. Hugs to the whole family.

I did cardio with Rohan today. Waited a few hours and then did my back, triceps and shoulders.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rekindled my friendship with my old pal Jillian Michaels today. :clap: I did her banish fat, boost metabolism dvd today. It was cold and rainy outside so I opted to stay indoors.
Keep up the good work everybody :sheep:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
90 minutes of yoga on Wednesday and one hour bike ride yesterday. It's lovely weather again today, think I'm going to go for a long walk.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The snow has all melted, the ground is getting softer and all the yard work is done for now so I have no more excuses left.

OK, I'm going to do it.

I'm going for a run!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I went for my first run of the year yesterday. I haven't done any running for about  4 months but I'm actually feeling OK today . It's too steep around here for me to run up hill, so I run on the flat and down hill parts and power walk up the hills.

About 1 hour of running/fast walking yesterday.

I felt like I could do it again today, but it's been raining too hard so I did an hour of yoga instead.

How's the cat doing @Winchester  ?

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woo Hoo Norachan Norachan :clap:: great work.

I did my last workout for the week on Friday. My legs. Then I came down with gastro. i think I'm back to normal now but I'm taking the week off exercise and then I'll be back to it the following week.
Keep going everybody :clap:

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Woo Hoo @Norachan
: great work.

I did my last workout for the week on Friday. My legs. Then I came down with gastro. i think I'm back to normal now but I'm taking the week off exercise and then I'll be back to it the following week.
Keep going everybody
That's too bad. gastro can really knock you out. Best to make sure you've fully recovered before you try anything strenuous.

I did an hour of yoga then about 2 hours of yard work yesterday, 1 hour of fast uphill walking/running today. I feel much more motivated now the warmer weather has started.

@Winchester  @Columbine  @JTbo  How's it going?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we got that 4 inches (10cm) new snow again last night, so that there is about two feet of it.

Moving snow for two hours makes good sweat and I guess that counts too, but I wanted to go to bicycle ride which is not possible now, because that snow is quite wet and small roads are not enough hard to ride without felling down.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We're in a Winter Weather Advisory today from about 10 am to around 8 pm. Snow and rain most of the day.

That being said, I can't walk right now. I went out yesterday (Monday). Got to the end of the driveway here at work where there's a huge pothole. I was watching a car coming up on my side of the road and not watching where I was going. Went right into the hole and turned my foot inward. I don't think anything is broken, but there's some pain and swelling. I put ice on it last night and brought some ice with me into work this morning. When I went down, I put my left arm out to cushion and must have pushed my arm into my shoulder as that's really painful, too. Sometimes you can't win for losing....it seems like there's always something going on lately. 

There was a car coming up the other way and when the woman saw me fall, she stopped right away and asked me if I was OK. I said, "Yes, I'm fine, thank you. Just a pride injury more than anything." She smiled and said, "I have to give you credit....you fell gracefully. I saw you go down and it was like you folded.
" And that's exactly how it felt.

Oh, and FWIW, I managed to walk 2-1/2 miles yesterday after my fall. Which was pretty stupid, really.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi guys :wavey: You're doing great :clap: Winchester Winchester I hope you heal quickly :vibes:
tammat tammat I hope you feel better soon :vibes:

I've not been doing so good - bloody fibro etc flaring again :argh: Done nothing apart from housework and a couple of pony muck-outs. I keep getting sidetracked by Asha too :rub: :heart3: It's hard to resist that little face!
Really want to get back to yoga soon :cross:

Status
Not open for further replies.