The Ever Grumpy Cat

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescued Bourbon more than a year ago and from then on she has become the focus of my attention. I sometimes hate to admit that among my cats, now 4 of them, she is my favorite. I tend to spoil her more than the others; go to extreme panic mode when I know she is not feeling well or not eating. She is the only one who sleeps with me in bed.

I notice that Bourbon does not get along with any cats or dogs at all. When she first came to my home I already had kittens (which I managed to find forever homes) but none of them seemed to suit her liking. I attempted to adopt a puppy which was also given to us by a friend who could not care for it anymore, but she stopped eating and isolated herself in the bathroom. So I made the difficult decision to just give the pup to one of our friends. Even her longtime sibling in the house, Barley - she has not gotten also along with. She refuses to acknowledge his presence as if Barley does not exist in the house.

Recently I rescued a kitten and from then on Bourbon is again showing signs of stress. She seems to be always on high alert, cannot concentrate on eating even if I put her in another room. She does not want to play or have anything to do with Bailey or Barley and prefers to climb and stay for hours on top of wardrobe cabinets, where she can watch the action from above.

I just think that like humans, animals also can get snobby and grumpy. Do you also have cats that do not seem to get along with anything and anyone? What should I do? I want Bourbon a happy life. I feel like I am depriving her of happiness by having other cats in the house, but I also cannot give up my sweet Barley. I can think of having Bailey also adopted out but this can’t go on. One day when our work contract expires here abroad I need to bring them all home to my own country, where I have 3 dogs and 1 cat as long-time residents there. So imagine how Bourbon would react to more pets in the house by then? ☹

Bourbon is two years old.

F0605506-0523-478D-AEF6-1012AF550FE8.jpeg

Sorry for the long post.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Bourbon is simply gorgeous. :hearthrob: I'm sorry she has not accepted the kittens in your house. I thought this Article about solving cat behavior problems might help - Note #3 which discusses stress and has several helpful links:
Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient

Since you mentioned Bourbon likes to climb on top of wardrobe cabinets it may help to have high places and more space for her in your home:
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Good luck finding the right solution that works for Bourbon and you. :goodluck: