The duvet tinkler

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

posting for a dear friend that’s having issues with her cat.
little background, the cat is about 7-9 months old, scottish fold girl. Was found outside, most likely dumped, living in some rocks near a construction site. She was skin and bones And very skittish/nervous. She’s taken to the husband well, goes for treats and sits on his lap but everyone else is kept at a distance. There is a young child, 5yrs old, who knows not to stress the cat out and tries to be gentle with her. The cat will go to my friend for food but that’s about it, she’s still very wary. They’ve had her vet checked and spayed. They’ve had her about 2 months now
now the issue is that she seems to love peeing on the feather duvet. Shes done it several times and for no reason other than it being a nice soft place to go. She has two litter boxes, cleaned daily, fed well, vet says no real health issues (we were thinking maybe early arthritis as it’s an issue with the breed) that they can see and is allowed the run of the house.
if she sees the duvet she will go straight for it and pee. They’ve tried blankets on the bed instead, and she won’t pee. But the minute that duvet comes out, it gets the pee treatment. They’ve tried equating the bed with treat and cuddle time to try and break the habit but so far no dice.
any ideas as to why this may be happening or how to fix the issue?
thanks in advance :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does she use her litterbox(es) otherwise? If so, odds are the first time she peed on the duvet it might have been an accident. Now that she doesn't pee on blankets when placed on the bed, but still will pee on the duvet, I am guessing she can smell her urine in it and that is an 'open invitation' to pee there again. I don't know how to clean a feather duvet, so it might have to be tossed. Or, if it can be dry cleaned, you could ask the cleaner about treating it for cat urine and see what they say. At any rate, permanently remove the duvet and see if she goes anywhere other than her litterboxes from that point on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Does she use her litterbox(es) otherwise? If so, odds are the first time she peed on the duvet it might have been an accident. Now that she doesn't pee on blankets when placed on the bed, but still will pee on the duvet, I am guessing she can smell her urine in it and that is an 'open invitation' to pee there again. I don't know how to clean a feather duvet, so it might have to be tossed. Or, if it can be dry cleaned, you could ask the cleaner about treating it for cat urine and see what they say. At any rate, permanently remove the duvet and see if she goes anywhere other than her litterboxes from that point on.
Hiya,
the litter box she uses all the time. Kept very clean. The duvet has been given to the dry cleaners each time from what I understand. They don’t use bleach but they send it for a pretty thorough clean. Not cheap though. Especially when it was sent thrice in a week for a clean!
apparently kitty jumps onto the duvet (at the last trial, to see if habit was broken/forgotten)she jumped up, made biscuits with her paws a little and left a puddle Right next to my friend.
she hasn’t had accidents anywhere else. She just likes the duvet.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it is best to just call it quits with an item.

I would have put the duvet in a tub and poured natures miracle all over it until it was soaking in a pool of it, then let it soak for a couple of hours. Wash in your machine on gentle and air dry.
⭐The dry cleaner may not be using the right kind of cleaner to remove the smell from dogs and cats. You need an enzyme cleaner.
⭐I used to own a feather duvet. I just washed it in the large washer and would air dry it or dry it on low. So I would look and see what the instructions say about washing it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If danteshuman danteshuman 's suggestion doesn't work, I think it is time to say bye-bye to the duvet. As said above, in other words, sometimes you just have to admit defeat.

Edit: the other thing to consider is that this is a phase that she will outgrow - maybe in a year they can try the duvet again? Not the same thing, but I haven't had my bedspread on my bed for months. It is stored high up in a closet. Why? I am fighting fleas, and there is no way I am going to have that thing washed every time I turn around as part of my vacuuming/cleaning routine.

Last edited: