The dreaded cone

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Teddy has been dealing with dermatitis issues for a long time now, and while his paws are better, his hind legs are now the issue.

I've been trying to avoid it coming to this, but it looks like the poor fella will have to wear an e-collar to stop his obsessive licking/chewing. The back of his legs are completely bald and chewed and nothing we do helps. He is currently on antibiotics and his steroids, but every time he grooms and he licks the areas, it's like scratching a mosquito bite, once you do it, you can't stop.

We keep the areas clean with a simple sterilizing solution the vet provided and we also spread salve on his wounds to help them heal, but unfortunately, his problem goes all the way up to his butt, and we are unable to wrap it all. It's come to the point where an e-collar would probably be the best solution.

The vet will no doubt give me advice on how to care for him, but my question is to those who have experience with their cats wearing cones. How did make your cat comfortable? Did you have to clean their private areas for them? Help them eat/drink? Neither of my boys are big drinkers as is, I don't want him getting dehydrated because drinking from his fountain or a bowl proves difficult. I'm also just worried about him becoming depressed because it might be hard for him to play and be himself. The cone would have to stay on until his wounds heal or until he stops chewing/licking obsessively.

The vet mentioned soft e-collars and donut collars. Does anyone have experience with those?

I'm just at the end of my rope. I've tried everything I could think of and it's come down to this. Any advice from personal experience would help greatly.

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've only used the plastic cone. Leroy kept stumbling into walls and walking with his head down, acting like the cone was soooo heavy:rolleyes: I took the cone off so he could eat. He was able to use the litter box just fine with the cone on. He doesn't groom himself so I have no idea if the cone would have made washing back there difficult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only used the plastic cone. Leroy kept stumbling into walls and walking with his head down, acting like the cone was soooo heavy:rolleyes: I took the cone off so he could eat. He was able to use the litter box just fine with the cone on. He doesn't groom himself so I have no idea if the cone would have made washing back there difficult.
Cats can be very dramatic lol I'm sure Teddy will act like it's the end of the world.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've no experience with e-collars, but wanted to post and wish you and Teddy luck.
Also sending vibes his leg heals quickly. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've no experience with e-collars, but wanted to post and wish you and Teddy luck.
Also sending vibes his leg heals quickly. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thanks. The hair loss and chewed spots go all the way up to his testicles. It's bad so I hope it heals quickly too.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are lots of alternative collars as you have mentioned and I have found that it depends on the animal and the style of the collar. It is one of those things that you won't know until you possibly purchase something and give it a try. If you can, order from companies who will do a return. I assume that wearing a suit of some kind is out of the question.

For other reasons, I do have a cat I have to bathe. She is diabetic and heavy, some neuropathy, and cannot clean herself. I put her rear in the bathroom sink and rest her upper body on the drainboard and clean her that way. We do this quite often. I use Dr. Bronner's unscented baby soap, but given the skin issues that your cat has, I would make sure that you discuss any cleaning solution or method with the vet.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are lots of alternative collars as you have mentioned and I have found that it depends on the animal and the style of the collar. It is one of those things that you won't know until you possibly purchase something and give it a try. If you can, order from companies who will do a return. I assume that wearing a suit of some kind is out of the question.

For other reasons, I do have a cat I have to bathe. She is diabetic and heavy, some neuropathy, and cannot clean herself. I put her rear in the bathroom sink and rest her upper body on the drainboard and clean her that way. We do this quite often. I use Dr. Bronner's unscented baby soap, but given the skin issues that your cat has, I would make sure that you discuss any cleaning solution or method with the vet.
I'm picking up a soft cone from the vet tomorrow. It's what I have access to at short notice. A suit would definitely be out of the question. He'd probably hate it more than the cone lol but we're going to try that and see how it works for him.

I doubt I'd have to bathe him, but if I do need to help him groom I'll just get some sensitive pet wipes for his bum and private parts and give him a quick wipe. His brother grooms him too so he won't go dirty lol

Thanks for the tips.