The Diatomaceous Earth Nightmare, Can It Hurt My Cat?

Teuntje24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
10 months ago, in something that might be called a panic attack because I had many silver fish in my home, I covered my whole house in diatomaceous earth. Especially behind all the baseboards and basically around the all edges of every room. I did it after watching a YouTube video where they used way to much of it. I used spoons and spoons of the stuff! Well, after reading this stuff is very harmful for the lungs I managed to get rid of most of it.

Next week I’m adopting a little sweet cat! But this is where I’m having my second panic attack in this story. There are some little spots of diatomaceous earth left in my house. I tried to get rid of all of it, but if you look very closely you can still see some. I can even see some of it on the walls. There will always stay a little amount. My house has those weird textured walls so it sticks there. Because a cat breathes so low to the ground, I am worried. Could this amount hurt my cat? I really don’t want to give my cat lung cancer or anything bad! :’(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Does it puff when you blow on any of those little spots?
I don't know how you cleaned it up, but do you have a way to vacuum it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Teuntje24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I don’t really think so. I vacuumed it before. It’s kind of stuck on the walls and in little cracks where the vacuum cleaner can’t reach it

Teuntje24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no idea if I’m overreacting or if it’s really dangerous..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don’t really think so. I vacuumed it before. It’s kind of stuck on the walls and in little cracks where the vacuum cleaner can’t reach it
No, you're not over-reacting, but as long as it isn't puffing into the air, you and your new baby should be just fine.
You could take a toothbrush and see if it'll come off that way...?

Teuntje24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot for your comment! I think it’s not puffing into the air. It’s been 10 months so that maybe helps too. I’m chronically ill so I can’t clean it myself. And the house is way to big to clean it all with a toothbrush. Even though I think it would help, its not very reasonable given the size of the rooms. I could ask if someone could vacuum the walls just above the baseboards for me. Would you think that would be enough?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that should be fine, and also maybe higher up the walls in a room that might be her special safe room?

Teuntje24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot!! I only put it close to the ground so it’s not way up the walls

Teuntje24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would you think it could be harmful if there’s a little amount that stays on the walls after I vacuumed it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not a vet but you'll probably be ok, --it's when the D E's dust is floating in the air and people and cats breath it in that it's a problem.