The Couch.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I thought "I'm going to move up in the world and sit on the couch, instead of in my chair."
So I did. In about 30 seconds I had two dogs on me, and finally told them to move because they were cramping me and the one was crushing my legs.
They did. One dog hopped onto the floor and the other decided laying beside me would be nice. I said that'll be fine and began reading.
About 5 minutes later, Queen Bee arrives. Hops up on the couch. Lays about 3 inches from the dog. The dog knows this cat isn't afraid to go crazy with her claws/teeth for no reason, so he watches her closely.
She settles in, tucks her feet under her and starts purring, squinting, and staring at the dog. He shifts away from her and she continues staring. By now I'm not reading anymore and just watching this mess. Dog almost immediately falls asleep, and stretches out a bit and she leans down and starts licking his foot. He wakes up, jerks his foot back with a very soft "stop that" growl, and she keeps blinking, squinting, purring and staring.
During this, Baby Girl in all her simple minded wisdom thinks this would be a GREAT time to join the party, leaps into my lap, crowding the dog who has moved back a bit to get away from Queen Bee. She starts doing her routine kneading and switches over to the dog, who says "forget this crap" and hops onto the back of the couch. Bee's brother joins us, and thinks the dog wants company in the form of a cat rubbing along his face (he doesn't) and the dog reaches his limit and moves away. By now, the dog at my feet is back on the couch, accidentally steps on Baby Girl, she lets out a "MAAH" sound and the dog jumps, lands on Bee who yells and swats him with her claws, making the dog yelp and run away. The other dog reacts and jumps down, Bee's brother playfully swats him as he jumps leaps over me like I'm not even there (hitting me in the back of my head with his rear feet as he does...) and I say "FINE" and leave.

Hahaha, funny, whatever, but then I come to the realization that me and two dogs were ran off the couch by some cats who didn't really DO anything to make it happen, but managed to get what they wanted.
So while the cats are happy and cozy on the couch with the fire place going, I'm sitting in a wooden chair and the dogs are all hanging out on the floor.
I think I just lost a war. My wife thinks this is the funniest thing she's ever seen. :lol:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Welcome to my world, but with cats only...:lol: I bought a heated massage recliner for my birthday in July. I covered it in plastic temporarily to keep the kittens from destroying the chair before I could use it. I finally used it Sunday a week ago. I would sit in the same room in another chair while the cats lounged on the other chair.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In our living room, we have a sofa, a love seat, and 2 recliner rockers, so I can usually find a place to sit. It's what comes after that can be trying. Burdock will jump into my lap, usually when I'm trying to eat- maybe he think my food needs a cat-hair garnish, or Bashful will get up on the chair back and 'groom' me by licking the top of my head, or Digger will do a 'drive-by' and get up, circle a few times, then jump down again. Isn't life with cats just dandy?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How do 2 petite cats manage to take up 3/4 of a king sized bed? Lilith and Sophie are great at it. Last night they managed to stretch out on both of my soft blankets and I was left with the blanket that they rejected and the top left corner of the bed. I woke up curled up in my allotted corner with my feet hanging off the edge of the bed. They were still sprawled out on their sections snoozing away. :sleepycat::sleepycat:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do 2 petite cats manage to take up 3/4 of a king sized bed? Lilith and Sophie are great at it. Last night they managed to stretch out on both of my soft blankets and I was left with the blanket that they rejected and the top left corner of the bed. I woke up curled up in my allotted corner with my feet hanging off the edge of the bed. They were still sprawled out on their sections snoozing away. :sleepycat::sleepycat:
It's a talent they have. Cats can expand to occupy any given space.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In our living room, we have a sofa, a love seat, and 2 recliner rockers, so I can usually find a place to sit. It's what comes after that can be trying. Burdock will jump into my lap, usually when I'm trying to eat- maybe he think my food needs a cat-hair garnish, or Bashful will get up on the chair back and 'groom' me by licking the top of my head, or Digger will do a 'drive-by' and get up, circle a few times, then jump down again. Isn't life with cats just dandy?
Drive-by :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:
We get squinters. They stay far enough away to keep us from shooing them off, and tuck their feet and squint. If they get closer, zeroing in on our food, I tell them to get, and they move about 2 inches off and then resume the squint.
Puppies aren't cats and cats aren't puppies but if they were exchangeable I'd feel like this guy. I swear Baby Girl has mastered the art of Edible Theft. She's quick.
And never trust a dog to guard your food from her. :doh: D'oh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They like laying corner to corner. And somehow a 10 pound cat turns into 60 pounds of wet cement if you try to move them...

If you've never woken up by hitting the floor by being pushed out, you're doing good.
If you've never woken up by doing the above and having an alarm clock, a lamp, and about 10,000 books crashing onto your head, you're doing GREAT my friend :thumbsup: (This is the reason we had to make a "no cats" policy during the night. I got sick of being a play toy pincushion and waking up on the floor) :lol:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read once about a dog, a big dog. His human was a rather small woman who'd raised him from a pup and had always worn the same pair of blue jeans when she was bottle feeding him on her lap.

As he grew she managed to successfully ween him, but she had a lot of trouble convincing him that he wasn't a lap dog - those early habits are just so hard to break. Eventually she managed to get it into his head that he was no longer allowed to climb into her lap, but now, every time she wears those blue jeans, her dog very slowly backs into her lap, thinking that maybe she won't notice if he uses his hind end to do it. :crazy: :lol: Personally, I think it may be time to turn those blue jeans into a dog bed.

Margret

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, but I am laughing too. My bad.

In a world of cats and dogs, cats usually rule! And humans are left to adjust to a life that the cats want us to be contented in. Lol.

I remember just this morning one of my cats was in the bathroom sink and decided to lay there, and I could hear my husband telling her that she had to leave as he needed to brush his teeth. After a lot of talking (majority by the husband and cat ignoring him), I saw him leaving the bathroom carrying his toothbrush and did it on the kitchen sink instead. Haha! I was laughing silently. Husband defeated by a cat. :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Today I thought "I'm going to move up in the world and sit on the couch, instead of in my chair."
So I did. In about 30 seconds I had two dogs on me, and finally told them to move because they were cramping me and the one was crushing my legs.
They did. One dog hopped onto the floor and the other decided laying beside me would be nice. I said that'll be fine and began reading.
About 5 minutes later, Queen Bee arrives. Hops up on the couch. Lays about 3 inches from the dog. The dog knows this cat isn't afraid to go crazy with her claws/teeth for no reason, so he watches her closely.
She settles in, tucks her feet under her and starts purring, squinting, and staring at the dog. He shifts away from her and she continues staring. By now I'm not reading anymore and just watching this mess. Dog almost immediately falls asleep, and stretches out a bit and she leans down and starts licking his foot. He wakes up, jerks his foot back with a very soft "stop that" growl, and she keeps blinking, squinting, purring and staring.
During this, Baby Girl in all her simple minded wisdom thinks this would be a GREAT time to join the party, leaps into my lap, crowding the dog who has moved back a bit to get away from Queen Bee. She starts doing her routine kneading and switches over to the dog, who says "forget this crap" and hops onto the back of the couch. Bee's brother joins us, and thinks the dog wants company in the form of a cat rubbing along his face (he doesn't) and the dog reaches his limit and moves away. By now, the dog at my feet is back on the couch, accidentally steps on Baby Girl, she lets out a "MAAH" sound and the dog jumps, lands on Bee who yells and swats him with her claws, making the dog yelp and run away. The other dog reacts and jumps down, Bee's brother playfully swats him as he jumps leaps over me like I'm not even there (hitting me in the back of my head with his rear feet as he does...) and I say "FINE" and leave.

Hahaha, funny, whatever, but then I come to the realization that me and two dogs were ran off the couch by some cats who didn't really DO anything to make it happen, but managed to get what they wanted.
So while the cats are happy and cozy on the couch with the fire place going, I'm sitting in a wooden chair and the dogs are all hanging out on the floor.
I think I just lost a war. My wife thinks this is the funniest thing she's ever seen. :lol:
And that is why Rick stands up to eat his breakfast! He likes to watch TWC while he's eating his instant oatmeal. But the cats won't leave him alone and The Beast wants to make sure that what Rick is eating is safe. Evidently it's her job to taste the food....or at least she thinks it's her job. So Rick stands in the living room, eating his breakfast and watching TWC every morning. That way, he cannot be attacked.

Isn't life with cats (and dogs) simply the grandest thing on earth?!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
And that is why Rick stands up to eat his breakfast! He likes to watch TWC while he's eating his instant oatmeal. But the cats won't leave him alone and The Beast wants to make sure that what Rick is eating is safe. Evidently it's her job to taste the food....or at least she thinks it's her job. So Rick stands in the living room, eating his breakfast and watching TWC every morning. That way, he cannot be attacked.

Isn't life with cats (and dogs) simply the grandest thing on earth?!
Life with cats and dogs are the best.
But I wonder, maybe we ARE the pets, and they are the MASTERS. Seems so. :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Life with cats and dogs are the best.
But I wonder, maybe we ARE the pets, and they are the MASTERS. Seems so. :)
My sister-in-law tells me that one hot summer day she refilled her dog's water bowl and then got herself a glass of ice water, complete with ice cubes. As she drank it she noticed the dog looking at her intensely, as if he was trying to push a thought into her head. When she looked back at him he very pointedly looked at his water bowl, and then at her water glass, and back at his water bowl. :idea:

As she added ice cubes to the dog's water bowl she suddenly thought, "Wait a minute! He's training me! And he's doing a darn good job of it, too."

Margret

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister-in-law tells me that one hot summer day she refilled her dog's water bowl and then got herself a glass of ice water, complete with ice cubes. As she drank it she noticed the dog looking at her intensely, as if he was trying to push a thought into her head. When she looked back at him he very pointedly looked at his water bowl, and then at her water glass, and back at his water bowl. :idea:

As she added ice cubes to the dog's water bowl she suddenly thought, "Wait a minute! He's training me! And he's doing a darn good job of it, too."

Margret
When the weather is hot, my wife puts ice cubes in the water bowls for the 2 (still) outside ferals

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two chairs and two sofas in our living room as well as a foot stool; and the cats mainly sit on the sofas (they enjoy sleeping on the foot stool too). They've never been a fan of chairs. Whenever I'm on the sofa and don't have anything like a laptop on my lap, they'll instantly come and sit on me and snuggle up on my lap together. Sometimes, they like laying on the edges of the sofa where the blanket is as it's warm and cosy. Whenever I get up from the sofa they'll always come and sit in my place and snuggle in to the warmth of my spot.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They like laying corner to corner. And somehow a 10 pound cat turns into 60 pounds of wet cement if you try to move them...

If you've never woken up by hitting the floor by being pushed out, you're doing good.
If you've never woken up by doing the above and having an alarm clock, a lamp, and about 10,000 books crashing onto your head, you're doing GREAT my friend :thumbsup: (This is the reason we had to make a "no cats" policy during the night. I got sick of being a play toy pincushion and waking up on the floor) :lol:
Sophie's way of waking me up is by walking up my legs, standing in the middle of my back and hollering at me. She loves to do that. Lilith never wakes me up because she doesn't need to. That's her sister's job.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles look around the house for a nice firm pillow to put on the sofa so Mooch can get on the back of the sofa again. You know she misses it. I'm just reading about it and I miss this sofa I've never had...and high heels.