The Continued Saga of Coco....

wnobles15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some of you might remember my tortoise shell calico, Coco who had kittens last summer. She's been a house cat since and has done fairly well. Her behavior has been akin to a horny woman, though and it's really getting on our nerves. She wails almost constantly and flops all over the house and acts like she wants us to make her feel better. We have been approved for spay assistance for her, but we don't have the money available right now so that's on hold. Will she stop acting this way once she's spayed? If not, I'm seriously considering rehoming her. I'll soon have a new baby and I don't think I can handle a new baby AND all this crying and whining that we have going on right now.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coco will absolutely calm down once spayed.

It's imperative that you find a way to pay for this to be taken care of.  I find it seriously upsetting that you would consider rehoming her for a problem you can easily fix. Literally.

Spay costs are much less than the costs a new baby brings.   How do you afford food/litter/vet visits?

Sorry for being so to the point about this but honestly, it's incredibly sad to read. You've had nearly an entire year to have her spayed. 

I hope someone in your area responds also to give you a list of low cost clinics where you can take care of her.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of you might remember my tortoise shell calico, Coco who had kittens last summer. She's been a house cat since and has done fairly well. Her behavior has been akin to a horny woman, though and it's really getting on our nerves. She wails almost constantly and flops all over the house and acts like she wants us to make her feel better. We have been approved for spay assistance for her, but we don't have the money available right now so that's on hold. Will she stop acting this way once she's spayed? If not, I'm seriously considering rehoming her. I'll soon have a new baby and I don't think I can handle a new baby AND all this crying and whining that we have going on right now.
I feel for you. A cat in heat is a lot to handle even without a baby on the way. Please take care of yourself. Stress is not good for you or the baby. 

What kind of spay assistance are you receiving? Are they giving you a voucher to bring to your vet? If so, why don't you ask the vet if he/she will take a payment plan? The worst thing they can say is no but some vets understand that stuff happens in life and will do it. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will stop when spayed. Being in heat is incredibly annoying and frustrating for a cat as her hormones rage through her body. She simply cannot help her behaviour. So do everything you possibly can to get it done asap, for her own sake as much as yours.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wnobles15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The assistance is through a local rescue/adoption organization. When the lady called to tell me that we'd been approved, she said that once we had the money, we would make a donation to the organization of a certain amount and that she would then call the vet and make the appointment for me to take Coco. Unfortunately, this vet won't take payments. We asked about that when we had to take one of our male cats in for an injury. We love the cat to death and she's the sweetest thing, but the wailing is really getting to me and my husband. The good thing is, it isn't one of the things that has been causing me to wake up at night. Lol! I'm glad to hear that the behavior will resolve with the surgery. I definitely want to get that taken care of before we bring the new baby into the house.

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much money are they charging? Also if you let us know the general area you live in we might be able to help you find other low cost options. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wnobles15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's just $50, which doesn't seem like much, but when I start to look at our finances week to week, just isn't there. I'm in North Alabama. There are a few programs here locally, but the one I contacted is the only one that we qualify for assistance with because we aren't on government assistance.