The Chosen One! Is This Normal?

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So ive had my kitten for 8 days. But her story is amazing! It all started on the 25th of December i just finish getting out of the Cinema with a friend of mine! As we were leaving the cinema, There was these two security guards blocking the entrance so this poor kitten wouldn't enter. My friend and I just stared at the kitten and continued to proceed to our car. At that exact moment the kitchen looked at me and began following me us to our car. I thought this was strange activity for a cat, so I decided to take a chance and told my friend to head home without me. I wanted to see if this cat would continue following me or go on its merry way. And to make a long story short Crossing streets, other pedestrians and dogs, This kitten followed me 3.8 miles to my house 1 hour! It's obvious from this point she follows me everywhere in the house, sleeps on my chest, watches TV with me and lets me pet her all the time. For me this is an amazing story because I don't know any cat that follows in this manner. During the time we were walking she never let me pick her up once. Even now in the house she doesn't let me pick her up but she still is very affectionate. My question. i
Is this a common thing for cats or kittens to follow a person so far? She is a very beautiful, she is an American Shorthair and I named her Seven. Any comments on this matter is greatly appreciated!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat that would go for a walk with me. I lived with a small mountain behind me and we would walk to a rock half way up and sit for ages then walk back home. All this time she was walking by my side.
It sounds as if you have found a good companion. Lucky you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat that would go for a walk with me. I lived with a small mountain behind me and we would walk to a rock half way up and sit for ages then walk back home. All this time she was walking by my side.
It sounds as if you have found a good companion. Lucky you.
Wow that is so amazing didnt know cats followed without a leash ! Guess its common ! Thanks for sharing your story!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont know if it is common but it is special. More so in your case as she chose to follow you without knowing you. I think it is wonderful to have such a bond.

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the positive words im really excited to have her in my life!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she was frightened and hungry and could sense that you would help her if she just stuck with you. Based on how she has settled in she will eventually allow you to pick her up. I would first try moving her gently when she is sleeping until you are able to get her on your lap and then start lifting her a little or holding her and giving her a treat so she learns good things come from being in your arms.

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she was frightened and hungry and could sense that you would help her if she just stuck with you. Based on how she has settled in she will eventually allow you to pick her up. I would first try moving her gently when she is sleeping until you are able to get her on your lap and then start lifting her a little or holding her and giving her a treat so she learns good things come from being in your arms.
Anything is worth a try! Seven is so amazing, she gives me full trust im sure we can arrive to an agreement so i can hold her. Thats for the tip i cant wait to try it!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It isn't uncommon for a cat who knows you to follow you, but a strange kitten? No. That kitten sensed that you were destined to be her person! Just give her time, and let her make the first moves, while always being open to her, and she'll blossom. Many cats are never happy being picked up. My own cat is one of those, but she LOVES jumping in my lap for a good snuggle!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat once, Lucy, that would follow me for a couple of miles around the park. She wouldn't let me pick her up either.

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It isn't uncommon for a cat who knows you to follow you, but a strange kitten? No. That kitten sensed that you were destined to be her person! Just give her time, and let her make the first moves, while always being open to her, and she'll blossom. Many cats are never happy being picked up. My own cat is one of those, but she LOVES jumping in my lap for a good snuggle!
Wow i feel really honored to have Seven choose me! And she is less then a year old so she'll be in my life for a long time! And i just got back from the vet a couple of hours ago and they told me after her blood test that she is really healthy! Im so excited !

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat once, Lucy, that would follow me for a couple of miles around the park. She wouldn't let me pick her up either.
Thanks for the feed! Looks like cats dont like to be held !

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats, however friendly, have never been happy being picked up for more than a few seconds before squirming to get down, especially when outside. I think it's because we decide to pick them up so it's not on their terms. When sitting down at home it's a different matter as they decide when to curl up for a snuggle.

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Problem is I would like to continue taking her outside thus she has to get used to me picking her up if a dog or something startles her to be in my arms.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you train her to be on a leash and something scares her, then you can control picking her up even if she doesn't like it. If not on a leash she'd probably run off from the danger, not jump into your arms.

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
True but i would love to teach her that! After all she seems to trust me!
If you train her to be on a leash and something scares her, then you can control picking her up even if she doesn't like it. If not on a leash she'd probably run off from the danger, not jump into your arms.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you put your cat on a leash, don't use a collar. Use a halter. A cat can slip out of a collar in a New York minute.

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you put your cat on a leash, don't use a collar. Use a halter. A cat can slip out of a collar in a New York minute.
Yeah I use a harness and she walks really well with it. And for the most part she looks comfortable in it!