The choice -- Indoor or Outdoor?

galt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep your cats indoors. I toured a cheetah habitation once, and the owner kept the the wild cats inside cages the size of a living room. Someone asked why they didn't have more room, to run around or explore, and he replied that big wild cats spend their entire lives, essentially, in the same, small amount of space. They don't romp around like dogs or wolves. So your cats will do fine in an apartment for their entire lives.
Also, it is their instinct to want outside. If you always keep them in, then they won't know what it's like to go outside, so they'll never miss it. But it is their instince to live outside, but they are safer and happier indoors.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why the heck do you live with this worthless person? I don't think I could handle it! I also agree to get rid of the roomie and cat another cat.

ravyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Uh...people don't poo in dirt and bury it either, or catch live birds or mice or squirrels and eat them. People don't lick their own bums.

Here's a hint for the roomie...THEY'RE NOT PEOPLE!!

And he thinks that its cruel because they should be allowed to go outside if they 'want' to? So, I should let my boxer run off leash into the street because she 'wants' to, or let my three year old nephew play with the stove or climb in the refrigerator or eat nothing but ice cream because he WANTS to??

I have eight cats, all indoors...and they will all be indoors for their entire lives. They are all fixed. I just bought them a new twelve level cat condo and have plans on buying a second and linking them together so they have a huge jungle gym. They eat better than I do. See the doctor more often than me. They're all healthy, happy, and glossy and will all live (knock on wood) long long lives being healthy, happy, and glossy.

But I guess I'm a cruel cruel person in your room-mate's eyes because they are all fixed and will never set a paw pad outdoors.

He needs to seriously get a new definition of cruelty. Kudos to you for making the right choices. And so long as they are your cats, YOUR say goes, and he can go blow his hot air somewhere else.

wittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I say you shouold keep your cat inside completely, your cat will live much longer, your cats won't have many fleas, less chance of catching a disease, and they won't get taken by anyone or run over by a car. I can think of a lot of reasons why you should keep it inside.

Cruel wouldn't be the word to describe keeping a cat inside 24/7, more live doing them a favor! They live longer if kept inside.

ggtkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My choice is definately indoor. Some people use the excuse "Cats are wild and need to be outside." Yes some cats are wild. But these cats are domesticated and are meant to be inside. I am not against putting a leash and collar on a cat and taking it for a walk of coarse. I do that with my cat, Gary, all the time. But the reason for that is, Gary was a stray and was used to living outside, so when ever I would open the door he would charge out. But that isn't the point of this thread. Letting your cat outside for any reason is dangerous. They could be hit by a car, eaten by wild life and many other things. So once again, I think that cats belong inside.