The Cat’s Meow ? Advice Please

Ashlo4321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone, I’m back again with another question about my little chico.

So he was sick for about 2 weeks (all explained in previous posts), which we found out was gastritis due to a chicken allergy. The final trip to the vet seemed to do it. We’ve had him on a strict Royal Canin prescription dry food ultamino and hydrolized protein and a little bit of pure salmon/tuna/other seafoods that we’ve made sure have absolutely no chicken or poultry broths, byproducts, etc. He seems to be doing so much better ! He’s running around, playing as normal by himself and with his sister, grooming, eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom.

There’s only one thing and it could be caused by paranoia or just ignorance being a first time kitten/cat owner. He starting meowing a lot more after he got better. He was very quiet before the sickness happened. It’s not the same type of sick “yowl” he was doing. It’s the same meow he does when he is watching squirrels and birds through the window. And sometimes he looks at the ceiling while doing it or the corner. It may be nothing. It may be a normal cat behavior. My husband says that it was possibly a learned behavior after being sick - ie: I meowed when I was sick and they gave me lots of love treats and attention, therefore when I’m not sick, I will do the same and get the same results. I’ve also talked to a few people that have said cats will do this and it’s just cat behavior to meow sometimes and be needy. It’s not all day, every day. But happens a few times daily.

A few factors that have also gone on in the home:
- we moved into a new apartment about a month and half ago. Could it still be the stress or anxiety or new surroundings? I have no idea how long it takes cats or kittens to get used these things
- I recently went back to work. I have been a “stay at home catmom” since the kittens were brought into our home. Now I am gone during the day 4 days during the week. Could he be dealing with the adjustment of not having me home to give him 24/7 attention like he’s had since he was 9 weeks?

I really don’t think he’s still sick all things considering. Everything seems to be normal. Still purring and kneading and rubbing on cat mom and cat dad, playing with Lola, eating and drinking and using the bathroom normally.

I need a 2nd opinion from the experts! Help !!!! Thank you (:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi cats are very stuck on routine and territorial if anything changes it can make them feel uneasy . If you were home all the time now you are not that will take some time . Plus moving home is massive for a cat - it has taken mine about 6 weeks to chill out a bit . Is the sound def a meow or is it trilling / chirping ? Gracie trills a lot - it’s like they are saying the work ‘brill ‘ but in a squeaky meow way - if that makes sense .

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I honestly think that you just have a chatty cat, and that the previous silence (except for the yowls) was because he felt like roadkill. NOW, he's feeling better, and sassy, and his true, vocal nature is coming out. You already know what his pain cry sounds like, all too well, so enjoy his normal talking to the max!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashlo4321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for everyone’s kind words and advice! Im trying not to be so anxious about this. It’s just difficult after going through such a tough and ongoing bad health streak. I feel like anything out of the norm is unwarranted and I freak out! But these suggestions and advice have been so helpful. Thank you again !!! :happycat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what we are here for! We all adore cats, and want the very best for them, and we've (almost all) been through scares and illnesses, and know how frightening they can be!