The Cat Food Brand I Buy Has Changed Their Formula. Is It Still A Very High Quality Cat Food?

iheartlife

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat food brand I buy, Nature's Variety Instinct Ultimate Protein, has changed their formula and packaging since I last bought it, and there are a few changes I am concerned about. The packaging is very different (see attached photos- the old packaging is brown and gold, the new packaging is brown and orange). The first change I am concerned about is the formula of the food. There are a few changes to the ingredients - some added (like freeze dried chicken heart and liver, dried bacillus coagulans fermentation product), some taken away (like freeze dried ground chicken bone, carrots, apples, butternut squash, dried kelp, broccoli, apple cider vinegar, salmon oil, dried chiccori root, and blueberries). Do the ingredient changes make the food better or worse? Another slightly concerning change is that the old packaging said it was for all breeds and life stages (kitten, adult, and senior) and the new package just says for adult cats. I bought this brand because it was a good food for both cats I have, but specifically for my female cat with food sensitivies/digestive issues; she's 7 now so almost (if not already) a senior cat. Now I'm not sure if I should keep feeding her this since the company now says it's for adults instead of all life stages. Is this still a food I should feed a senior cat based on the ingredients listed? I'm not sure why the company decided it's now just for adults when it was previously for all life stages so if you have any ideas on that, I'd appreciate an explanation. The last change that I'm concerned about is that the old packaging said grain-free; gluten-free; absolutely no rendered meats, chicken meal, or by-product meal. The new packaging just says grain free; no animal meal. So it may no longer be gluten-free or free of rendered meats. Are any of these changes extremely concerning to you? Do the changes to the ingredients make the food better or worse? Should I be concerned that the food doesn't specifically say is is gluten-free and free of rendered meats? Do I need to worry about the fact that is now says it is for adult cats instead of for all breeds of all life stages (kitten, adult, and senior cats)? Is this still a very high quality food that I can feel safe feeding my 2-year-old Turkish Angora and my 7-year-old girl with food sensitivities/digestive issues? Is there anything better you would recommend if any of these changes are concerning enough that I should change brands of cat food?

Attachments

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what I can see, the food has been simplified by removing some of those fruits and veggies. If anything, I'd say it's slightly better now. Your girl should be just fine with it if she was fine with the old formula, but do a gradual change from the old to the new just in case - like if you were switching brands of kibble.

It's always frustrating when companies change their formula like this, especially when dealing with sensitive or allergic kitties, but I can't see anything alarming here. :crossfingers: that your girl likes the new formula, and that she tolerates it well:vibes::vibes::vibes:

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with Columbine's mom. It's funny that cat food manufacturers add things like peas, corn, carrots, etc. to cat food - cats are obligate carnivores, so they can't digest these additives (so I've been told). Perhaps one reason it's now for adult cats only is that kittens require a lot more calories than older cats do. So, it the number of calories is reduced, it would be more appropriate for an older cat than a kitten. Anyway, I think it's a good product and I wouldn't hesitate to give it to my two if they liked it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I am just now seeing this thread. It's been a few weeks, did you stay with the food? how is it going over now?

Should I be concerned that the food doesn't specifically say is is gluten-free and free of rendered meats
In my opinion, yes, I would be concerned about the rendered meats.
Here's a database that might help - keeping in mind that the last update was Nov 2017, but it's a starting point. Pet Food Guide

Beyond that, that they removed the bone could be a good thing as that can sometimes be a problem.

All life stages, again my opinion, doesn't mean much regarding adult, senior and geriatric felines.

Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat - Part 2
This is an option, --I like Primal Pronto.
Raw Feeding Cats: Types Of Raw Diets & Feeding Options
Also, there's Dr Lisa Pierson's website, catinfo.org