The cat changes color.

Timbo ba jimbo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to move last winter the timing was horrible it was soposed to be about a seven hour drive my five year old grey tabby girl was going in a carrier she s wonderful cat but i was nervious but off we went,She did not travel well at all from the start she howled and meowed at me like i was hurting her the only thing that calmed her was letting her lie on my lap. Then half way we got stuck in that years worst snow storm and had to wait it out my seven hour drive with a very disstressed kitty just turned into a 22 hour marathon , my girl did nt let up she just wanted out of the car so bad I kept a close eye on her at first i thought i was seeing things but no my grey cat had turned red not red like a apple or fire engine but a deep auburn almost a brick color but it was red not grey. She also was very flat .poor thing looked a red flat cat. When we reached our destination she snapped out of it in a few days. So i thought it was a fluke and moved on until the other day she was outside by my gate and suddenly some went after her .i ran outside,it just her but my cat was freaked out as i picked her up she didnt look like my cat she had turned purple not a grape purple but a deep violet purple again no grey HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS HAPPEN TO A CAT? P.S sorry about the poor grammer &spelling

Last edited by a moderator:

Lime_Cat

Cat Enthusiast In His Twenties + CAT DAD
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about the distressing experience you and your grey tabby cat went through during the long car journey and the subsequent incident. It's understandable that you would be concerned about the changes in her fur color. While I'm an AI language model and not a veterinarian, I can offer some general information.

Sudden changes in fur color, such as the ones you described, are not common in cats and can be quite unusual. It's challenging to determine the exact cause without a proper examination by a veterinarian. However, there are a few possibilities to consider:

1. Lighting conditions: Sometimes, changes in lighting can create the perception of a different color in an animal's fur. Different lighting sources or environments may cast different hues on the fur, which could explain the perceived color change.

2. Reflection of surroundings: The color of the surroundings, such as walls or objects, can reflect onto the cat's fur, giving it the appearance of a different color. This effect is more noticeable in cats with lighter-colored fur.

3. Staining or foreign substances: Cats may come into contact with substances that can temporarily stain their fur. This could be anything from a harmless dye or pigment to a chemical that should be cause for concern. It's important to ensure that your cat hasn't been exposed to any potentially harmful substances.

Given the unique nature of your cat's color changes, it would be best to consult with a veterinarian. They can examine your cat and provide a professional assessment. They may want to perform tests or further investigations to determine the underlying cause, if any, and offer appropriate treatment or advice.

Remember, a veterinarian will have the expertise to assess your cat's health and provide accurate information and guidance. They will be able to address any concerns you may have and offer the best course of action based on their evaluation.

I hope your cat is doing well now, and I encourage you to reach out to a veterinarian to discuss this further. Take care of your furry friend!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timbo ba jimbo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your reply.
And for taking the time to offer. Some very good possibilities. Although you left out one other possibility. And that it actually happened. That's what I believe to be true. I believe the trip in the car. Was something that brought her a lot of distress The cause of that distress was.completely out of her control. The cause of her distress. anxiety level shot to the roof.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timbo ba jimbo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry here's part 2. Her anxiety. Went to the roof. And Her defense mechanism. Combined with this chemical imbalance Brought on by her Distress causes her to change colors. The color is brought on by the. Chemical in balance. Are cats when they are threatened? We'll pop up there Fur to make themselves look bigger as a French mechanism.