The Bird Killer

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well after many attempts of trying to somehow reduce/stop the amount of birds Luna is killing I’ve decided to keep her in the Catio I built for her for good now. It’s big enough and plenty of nice views.

I tried to put various bells on her collar and even tried a colour collar which is meant to stand out to birds but everyday she has brought home at least 2 birds.

unless anyone else has any other ideas?? I know it’s what cats do but I wanted to let Luna out without having her kill the entire bird population in my area.
The final straw was coming home to feathers all in the front room and stairs and she was found on my bed sleeping, legs in the air not a care in the world with the bird next to her.
Any help would be appreciated on reducing or helping stop it.

she is now sulking in her catio

53A6CAF8-FBD3-4000-BDB8-0A57232A040E.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After all my experiences with finding cats dead on the road, I think she is where she should be. I, too, hate this time of the year when the fledglings are just learning to fly, but I can't fault my feral mama cat trying to teach her kittens how to hunt and survive. Cats are VERY motivated to hunt by instinct, so there is not much you can do, except to deny her access. I feel awful praising them for bringing me moles and mice, but feeling terrible when they bring me a bird. It is hypocritical to want one but not the other.
I commend you for keeping her, and the birds, safe!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My indoor boy's would love that catio it's a good size. Other than taking your lovely panther out on a lead, it's the only way to keep the birds safe. I'm sure your girl will stop sulking and accept the catio in time. My daughter's semi ferral has accepted he no longer goes outdoors, and has stopped crying at door's and windows. So it can be done hang in there and be strong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the catio is huge really and it has plenty of climbing for her and high views and on the floor it has artificial grass. I’ve had to put her wolf cuddly toy in there as she won’t go anywhere without it in the house.
I’ve always thought though that a loud bell would do the trick but obviously she is somehow going slow and very fast to react. Hate seeing birds being played with and tortured.
The only issue with keeping her in and I’ve mentioned this previously is she Goes for her tail when stressed. So being outdoors was her stress release.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the catio is huge really and it has plenty of climbing for her and high views and on the floor it has artificial grass. I’ve had to put her wolf cuddly toy in there as she won’t go anywhere without it in the house.
I’ve always thought though that a loud bell would do the trick but obviously she is somehow going slow and very fast to react. Hate seeing birds being played with and tortured.
The only issue with keeping her in and I’ve mentioned this previously is she Goes for her tail when stressed. So being outdoors was her stress release.
I've just had a look on the RSPB site they suggested that cat's with bells catch 41 per cent less birds and 34 per cent less mammals. Also keep your cat well fed which I'm sure you already do. And keep her indoors when birds are most vulnerable at least an hour before sunset and an hour after sunrise especially during March - July and December - January also during bad weather, such as rain or a cold spell to allow the birds to come out and feed. With the numbers I've read I think you've already stopped some birds being killed by putting a collar on her. I think the only way to stop it completely is keep her indoors. I hope this helps some.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
keep her in that catio - in some areas house cats are responsible for decimating vulnerable song bird species to the point of grave concern ... let your kitty hunt Dabird , the laser pointer and other toys multiple sessions a day, get puzzle feeders and keep him mentally healthy that way ... Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that love those songbirds and will do harm to a free roaming cat known to do harm to the birds ... it happens a lot where I live ... to the point of poisoning, shooting or trapping cats. The catio might be frustrating but it is safe ...

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a great catio!
We have a night solar light on our large catio to attract flying bugs. The cats often hunt and chase butterflies, moths and other other bugs that get through the wire day or night.
Our smaller window catios have fly screens but are next to long-flowering plants that attract birds and butterflies. It is amazing watching birds decide to nest next to the cats!
We've added roofing to the catios so they can be used on rainy days and enjoy shade from the midday sun.
Our newest addition is a street cat who's gone from being scared of coming inside a house to living in one permanently. Its an adjustment but he's safe now and doesn't turn up hungry with wounds!
catio lounge window.jpg
tina catio bird watching.jpg
catio bird watching.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best to keep her inside for her own future. Most of the birds that cats catch are ill or injured and unlike to live long. It's a mercy in a way, fast death over starving, though it doesn't take birds long to starve. I've always felt that, despite the kindness to the birds, it's best not to let your cat catch the ill and dying because there are some illnesses birds have that cats can catch.

As for mice. They are adorable, but they will get in the house and chew through the electrical wiring, then you have a fire. Edited to ad, this is another reason to keep your cat in the house, with an attic run from time to time.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she is 100% staying in the catio. She managed to get out the house last week and killed another bird but this time an old man was feeding the birds and tried scaring her. I did hear this and confronted him but not much you can say to old people really. Just said it’s what cats do, now I’m worried rat poison or coolant will be left down on purpose. I’ve secured the inside doors with catches now so she can’t push them open in the kitchen.
She also has a freckle on her eye which the vet said is fine for now just keep an eye on it I have no doubt this has been caused by her antics outside.
I was always split between her mental health and being mean keeping her in but now know it’s for the best. She is fed well and spoilt so I do think she will get used to it. Luna has something that makes her attack her tail when her back twitches which was one of the reasons to let her out also. Anyway she is happy enough I suppose.
6AC41D0B-C149-457E-874F-6748CF62AF7A.jpeg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a little while, but if you're consistent, cats accept the indoor life. Other cats who have suffered outside love it from the beginning. Your cat may make friends with other cats from the yard while in the catio and learn that the world can be a tricky place.

like Norchan said that's one amazing catio.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lead will protect most birds but not fledglings. My twerp caught a fledgling dove while I was walking him. He was 7-8 feet from me. I just didn’t see the dove on the ground. I pried the dove out of his mouth & called the raptor center. So it is fledgling season; if you walk your cat.... search the ground for fledglings during summer time.

It wouldn’t be bothered by my murder machine’s catches do much if he ate them. He just wants to bring them inside to catch/release torture them to death. So I keep messing up his hunt. I have rescued 4 baby lizards from his mouth. 🤦🏻‍♀️