The Best Cat Litter??

elfuturevet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Arm and Hammer Multi-cat litter, but I am sure there are better ones out there! This one does keep the smell down pretty good, but it smells a lot like the actual litter and to us is not the best smell, still better than urine!! Since I am going to need more litter tomorrow anyways, what do you guys think is the best at keeping smell down, good price, and preferably clumps?? Thanks!

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I find the clumping pine litters like Feline Fresh or Feline Pine are the best at odour control. Not quite as dusty as clay litters either (although the pellets litters are even better in that department, but not all cats like the texture).

lokilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought the World's Best Litter yesterday. So far no odor and the cats took to it really easy. Leaves little dusty paw prints though, but I find this less annoying than the clay balls everywhere. Also it's a bit pricey but people say they tend to use less.

I still have Maxx cat litter left but I don't like the dust or the perfume. (Canadian equivalent to Tidy cat i think)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elfuturevet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I will look into both of those tomorrow! I used to use Tidy Cats, but then I tried the Arm and Hammer kind. It seemed better at keeping the odor down. I will try different types I think and see whats best.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Switched from World's Best Multicat (the red bags) to Swheat Scoop Multicat (green bags).   Doesn't clump as fast as World's Best unfortunately, but smells better itself, great odor absorbing, and its less expensive.   Cheapest I found was in the 40lb bags at Petsmart for $30.   I usually wait several hours before I'm "scooping" (use a sifting litter box) and the clumps are hard as rocks at that point.

Like World's Best, its renewable biodegradable material that can be flushed, so no toxic dust, silica cancer concerns, bentonite, strip mining, etc. and is safe for all cats (even kittens and recent surgeries including declaws). 

Definitely think its great there are so many organic litters out there.

Last edited:

evakatharina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Switched from World's Best Multicat (the red bags) to Swheat Scoop Multicat (green bags).   Doesn't clump as fast as World's Best unfortunately, but smells better itself, great odor absorbing, and its less expensive.   Cheapest I found was in the 40lb bags at Petsmart for $30.   I usually wait several hours before I'm "scooping" (use a sifting litter box) and the clumps are hard as rocks at that point.

Like World's Best, its renewable biodegradable material that can be flushed, so no toxic dust, silica cancer concerns, bentonite, strip mining, etc. and is safe for all cats (even kittens and recent surgeries including declaws). 

Definitely think its great there are so many organic litters out there.
I was just thinking of switching to Swheat Scoop- can you tell me anything about the dustiness?  I've been using WBCL since I got Annie, but lately it seems dustier and there are dusty paw prints all over my furniture.  Would you rate the Swheat as more or less dusty?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking of switching to Swheat Scoop- can you tell me anything about the dustiness?  I've been using WBCL since I got Annie, but lately it seems dustier and there are dusty paw prints all over my furniture.  Would you rate the Swheat as more or less dusty?
I have gotten inconsistent results with both products.   I read reviews about dustiness of both World's Best and Swheat and was like... what are these people smoking?  There is ZERO dust... and then I got a bag of each at some point that was crazy dusty.   

Most of the time, the Swheat Scoop is less dusty as its bigger chunkier pieces with less powder to it.    

BTW, I forgot to mention that while I am not a huge fan of the smell of World's Best, which is of course subjective, I did see they have a lavender scented one.   If the cats don't mind that smell, it might be a good option.   My Petsmart doesn't carry it though, so I hadn't bothered researching reviews or catching a whiff, heh.

Last edited:

evakatharina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been using World's Best Cat Litter, one of clumping corn litters, since I got my first kitty in March, and in general I like it.  It clumps very well, hides odors well (unless someone has pooped and not covered it up), and best of all to me, it's eco-friendly and totally safe for kitties.  I actually kind of like the way the litter smells, but some people don't.  My sister thought it smelled horrible, so your experience may vary.  It's also very expensive- around $40 for 40 lbs.  Dustiness seems to vary bag to bag- sometimes I don't have any problems, other times there are little dusty paw prints on the upholstery.

I visited my in-laws over Thanksgiving- they use Swheat Scoop and I think I might be switching.  The smell of the plain litter is nice (just a pleasant, floury sort of smell), my M-I-L reports that it clumps well, and I didn't notice any cat smell AT ALL in their house so it must be deodorizing well.  Like the WBCL, it's all-natural and totally safe.  And it's not AS expensive- about $30 for a 40 lb bag.

Personally I can't stand the smell of even unscented clay litters, and the idea of little cat noses breathing in from the dust from that stuff makes me nervous.  A whiff makes me sneeze like crazy, so I can't imagine that it's pleasant to them either.  Additionally, if a cat (or a dog!  my dog always has his nose in the litter box!  gross, I know!) ingests clumping clay litter, the medical complications can be life threatening at worst, and a very expensive ordeal at best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elfuturevet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm, I will try both the Swheat Scoop and Worlds Best in small quantities. Hopefully I will find one that isn't as expensive, but still works the same and is healthy!

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i use pettex fine wood fresh pellets, i used to use catsan a lot but i found that it didn't contain the smell and it dosen't last a long time either, not only is pettex fine wood cheaper, it lasts a long time too :D

these are all UK brands btw.