The BEST cat feeder EVER!!

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG!! Just got this today for the kids.

Polly our poly-dactyl is a gorger and will throw up any dry kibble she eats. This was SOO much fun to watch them manipulate. It took them over an hour to eat a 1/4 cup of dry food. Polly didn't throw up!! YAY!

I also decided that everyone needed to be on different diets. Feeding them all the SD C/D is not working. LB is a perfect weight (He needs the C/D) Emma is about 1.5 lbs heavy, and Polly is really underweight.

I decided to do the following for everyone. Three separate bowls (normally they ate out of one giant pie plate divided into three)

AM Feeding:
LB - SD C/D one half can and a pinch of NB Kibble (ultra mixed with Green Pea & Duck)

Emma - 1/4 cup NB mix and .5 of SMALL can of NB indoor wet

Polly - 1/4 cup NB mix and 2 tbls of KMR (until she gets to healthy weight then will put her on mix like emma, but not indoor wet...just regular)

Midday - Put 1/4 cup mix into the food toy thingy and let them have at it!

Evening - Same as am for everyone.

I also got them THIS water fountain from Petco. HOLY COW is it GREAT!! Blows our Petmate out of the water!! And it was only $20! It's SOO easy to clean and doesn't look like it came off a spaceship!

It was an expensive day at Petco, but seems to be worth every penny!!

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's a pretty cool looking feeder. Out of curiosity, does it have a suction cup or a weight on the bottom? Otherwise, it seems like the cats would get wise pretty quickly and just push it over to get the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

does it have a suction cup or a weight on the bottom? Otherwise, it seems like the cats would get wise pretty quickly and just push it over to get the food.
it does not have suction cups, it is non skid. It's pretty cumbersome though. they can't get there paws in there far enough to lift and then turn over. It's just not a natural movement for a cat. It's a pretty solid design

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds great - but I have ants to contend with, so fun and food can't happen here.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yarra

This was SOO much fun to watch them manipulate. It took them over an hour to eat a 1/4 cup of dry food. Polly didn't throw up!! YAY!
Glad to hear it. It's nice to hear people getting matched up with solutions

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

Sounds great - but I have ants to contend with, so fun and food can't happen here.
Gloria, you put such a SMALL amount of food in the feeder they eat it all in one sitting. We have ants here too. I don't think it would be an issue at all. I put about 1/2 cup dry in, and between the 3 of them it was gone in a little over an hour.

You can feed less if you are worried. I can't believe it kept their attention for that long! I am going to use it as a mid-day snack / brain activity. I am not going to use it as a tool to free feed. We are on scheduled meals here.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like it could be good for dispensing treats - if you have cats that will agree to eating treats that close to each other. Mine won't
otherwise I'd probably pick one of those up the next time I'm at Petco. I may still have to go look at it. It could still work for my kittens.

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like that water fountain too..gonna get me one

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

how is the feeder going ? still good?
It's still going really well! I highly recommend it. The little petco water fountain is still doing great too!

the feeding of the cats different foods, however, is not. LOL

LB who needs to be on the C/D refuses to EAT said C/D when the others are having their wet.

I put him in the bathroom with his food, and he CRYS and CRYS and never eats.

So I said forget it.

they are all back on C/D once a day. They all eat out of the same large glass pie dish. So I give LB the biggest pile, and I give the girls dry in their bowl as well.

I give everyone the same at dinner, then I give them a good dose of the mixed NB foods in the feeder in the evening!

Polly prefers the wet food, so she isn't getting MUCH of the dry when it's in the pie dish. If I were to feed her dry alone in a dish, she would end up throwing up. Hence the need for the feeder when get plain dry.

I also sometimes use it to dispense treats in the afternoon, if I don't have time to sit down with them and throw the treats around the living room like I usually do.

hillary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd love to get that for Sasha, but she's so lazy that she'd stare at it and complain to me the entire day. Phoebe would have fun with it though.