The battle of carrying

dominocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whenever I try to carry my cat, Ugglan (the Owl), he struggles and he really really hates it. But sometimes I have to carry him, for example when I need to lift him up to check for ticks or save him from being loved to death by my sister's puppies.

Is there some way I can make him hate it as much?

Ugglan is an abandoned cat that I managed to get to trust me and let me take him into my house. So I guess that's why he hates being caried, or stuck. Which is why taking him to the vet is always a challenge. 

Does someone have some advice for me?

Thanks.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How you hold him may make a difference.  If you put your left hand under his hind feet, so he can keep some of his weight there, and yur right arm sort of around his shoulders with your hand pressing his shoulders against you, that will make him feel more secure, but if he has not been held a lot as a kitten, which he has not, then being picked up will always be unpleasant and a little frightening for him..  You also might get a baby gate and put it across one door, perhaps to a room where his litter box and food are, to give him a place to get away from the puppies when he wants to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dominocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried what you suggested before... all that resulted in was badly scratched palms. I have baby gates already but thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited: