The Barn's Gonna Get Busy

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
What’s the barn situation? if it were me I’d keep um in. Depending on where you are, all sorts of predators, not to mention the odd cow hoof? Plus barns = fleas, for lil kitties! :greenpaw:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something could happen to the mothers if they're allowed out---are you willing and able to hand-raise the kittens if that happens? Plus opening the room would allow for predators to get in. And cats can get pregnant again very soon after giving birth and it doesn't sound like your family is up for that. So, no, I wouldn't risk letting them out until after they're spayed (most vets will do it when the kittens are 8-9 weeks old, but keep in mind that kittens should stay with their mother and littermates for 10-12 weeks even if they aren't nursing anymore).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenBarn13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What’s the barn situation? if it were me I’d keep um in. Depending on where you are, all sorts of predators, not to mention the odd cow hoof? Plus barns = fleas, for lil kitties! :greenpaw:
That's what I was thinking. We don't see predators, and the horses are good with the cats. Plus it's too cold for fleas (I think). But we have cars. We have big rigs and trailers come in with horses overnight, and there is a barbershop in our barn. Customers are coming through all the time

kittiefoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright, I think we're in the homestretch! We're getting the males neutered next week, and the females are going into a warm room to be cared for. We were never able to get ultrasounds or x-rays done, but the ladies look about ready to pop! I think they'll have kittens within the next 2 weeks. Our neighbor, a vet tech at the local animal ER, is helping us out with all this. She's gonna help find homes and get supply set up. Also, if anybody has kitten name ideas, give me a holler! I have some names that I'd like to use: Bo, Luke, Daisy, Sheev, and Cooter, from Dukes of Hazzard. So far, I've just been obsessed with Dukes of Hazzard names. If anybody has any non-Duke names (or you can keep going with the Dukes of Hazzard theme!), tell me!
I have lots of kitten names LOL I know you said cooter but scooter is a cute name too for a country cat... Also when you have a litter of kittens it's fun to find a couple that go together like twin kitties or a couple that play really nicely together and call them "kit and kaboodle"
Also I had a black and white and a gray and white that they called "chip and chunk" as in chocolate chip and chocolate chunk... I also make it really cute to name them after your goats haha

Last edited by a moderator:

KittenBarn13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have lots of kitten names LOL I know you said cooter but scooter is a cute name too for a country cat... Also when you have a litter of kittens it's fun to find a couple that go together like twin kitties or a couple that play really nicely together and call them "kit and kaboodle"
Also I had a black and white and a gray and white that they called "chip and chunk" as in chocolate chip and chocolate chunk... I also make it really cute to need them after your goats haha
That would be cool to name them after the goats! I have Jimmy and Snickerdoodle, so if I have a male and female that go nicely together, I'd love to name them after the goats! And Kit and Kaboodle seems like some names that you just can't go wrong with!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anywho are pregnant and you want to have kittens should be inside the house. You do not want the females allowed outside at any time at all. You will have to be careful as they will try to get out as early as when the kittens are 2 weeks old. I would not have them in a barn no, not unless you have a way to keep them contained completely in that space. Young kittens are very fragile, you want to be able to weigh them daily and be prepared to bottle feed if necessary. Honestly, I would spay them if you are not able to keep them inside. The risk is pretty good for a few kittens that do not survive. Especially in a barn. Mom cats will move the kittens so it might be hard to find them. The risk of your father harming them is a scary situation as well. But if you are adamant to have 3 cats all have kittens then I would recommend getting in contact with rescues to see if they can help with rehoming the kittens. Finding homes for kittens isn't so easy and even with it being the first litter some cats can have up to 6 kittens. If all 3 have big litters you are going to be very busy and spending quite a bit of money. Have you done xrays to confirm the pregnancies and how many kittens each?

You have neutered all of the males correct?

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
(I’m STILL trying to imagine a barbershop in a barn. How does that work, exactly?).:think:

KittenBarn13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(I’m STILL trying to imagine a barbershop in a barn. How does that work, exactly?).:think:
We have an apartment built in the front. The guy who is renting it from us is using it as a barbershop. He used to bullfight in rodeos, so he tried to make a rodeo environment with old pictures of his rodeos and such. It's a cool place!

Anywho are pregnant and you want to have kittens should be inside the house. You do not want the females allowed outside at any time at all. You will have to be careful as they will try to get out as early as when the kittens are 2 weeks old. I would not have them in a barn no, not unless you have a way to keep them contained completely in that space. Young kittens are very fragile, you want to be able to weigh them daily and be prepared to bottle feed if necessary. Honestly, I would spay them if you are not able to keep them inside. The risk is pretty good for a few kittens that do not survive. Especially in a barn. Mom cats will move the kittens so it might be hard to find them. The risk of your father harming them is a scary situation as well. But if you are adamant to have 3 cats all have kittens then I would recommend getting in contact with rescues to see if they can help with rehoming the kittens. Finding homes for kittens isn't so easy and even with it being the first litter some cats can have up to 6 kittens. If all 3 have big litters you are going to be very busy and spending quite a bit of money. Have you done xrays to confirm the pregnancies and how many kittens each?

You have neutered all of the males correct?
All the males are neutered, yes

KittenBarn13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How’s the barn? Did it get busy?
Marshall is still pregnant. I think Jethro and Hoot gave birth somewhere outside. I'm kind of worried. They keep wandering to some trees we have in back, but I can't find anything back there. I have never seen Hoot back there until recently, and I have never seen Jethro back there unless she follows me. Anybody got any advice?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago did you see their bellies go down? Do their chests feel damp sometimes? If they're nursing they'll have large lumpy milk bags and will sometimes be a bit damp.

You can just go back there and sit for awhile, usually the kittens make some noise when the mom gets back to the nest, while jockeying for the best nipple.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep Martha inside and try to find the kittens outside. You should be able to hear them :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Play a video of kittens meowing on YouTube on your phone, then follow mama cat where she leads you.

KittenBarn13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long ago did you see their bellies go down? Do their chests feel damp sometimes? If they're nursing they'll have large lumpy milk bags and will sometimes be a bit damp.

You can just go back there and sit for awhile, usually the kittens make some noise when the mom gets back to the nest, while jockeying for the best nipple.
I haven't noticed lumpy milk bags on Jethro, but Hoot (as I mentioned earlier) won't let me get close enough to look. I have tried looking around, and plan to more in the future. And it was hard for me to tell with winter hair what their bellies looked like in the first place, and when (if at all) they went down with shedding season. I'm just going off of what our neighbor said. Jethro looks like she's packing on a belly (just a bit), so I woner if she didn't get pregnant before the boys got neutered

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to bring them to the vet to get xrays to see if they are pregnant? You may need to trap them. But if they aren't pregnant they will be soon, even with your boys fixed, other males can come from miles to breed with the girls. And then you are dealing with aggressive tomcats who will start fights and try to chase the others off. Even with the boys being fixed they will still go after them to get them away from "their" girls.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree the cats who need spaying need to be trapped and fixed. This issue will go on and on until such time as you get everyone spayed so that pregnancies are not possible, especially since you are not in a position to properly house and care for moms and kittens.

We are a pro-spay and neuter site, and while we do offer support for pregnant cats and kittens, the end goal is to encourage members such as you to take responsibility for the cats you feed and care for and to take the necessary steps to fix them in order to stop the endless mating, pregnancies, and unknown or poor outcomes for the cats and kittens. In other words, to stop the cycle.

This generally requires effort and dedication on the part of the member. My hope is that you will make this commitment to get your cat situation under control as we enter mating season.

KittenBarn13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dad's friend is a vet at a nearby hospital, and my neighbor is a vet tech at the local animal ER. I'm gonna talk to them to see if I can get some scheduled as a favor or for cheap

KittenBarn13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got the kitties in! Jethro and Hoot aren't pregnant, but Marshall will give birth within 10 days!