The 2021 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My pussy willow catkins are showing the fuzzy insides and I can see fat buds on the daffodils - even though we have wind chills below zero this morning. I also saw my first pair of robins yesterday so it is spring, even if it doesn't feel like it. I think I will be able to plant my onions and potatoes early next month. I could possibly do it sooner, but will be busy with doctors visits with hubby.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no way on this green earth that we are going to use 300 red beet seeds!!
Save them for next year.
Last year, Michele bought 4 packets of Icicle radish seeds. Spaced out as recommended on the pack, I could ring the entire perimeter of our property 4 or 5 times, at least.
Most spacing instructions are to far apart. If it says 6 inches apart, it means on center (so 3 inches from the neighboring plants for a total of 6 inches) The seed companies really need to make this clear.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Save them for next year.

Most spacing instructions are to far apart. If it says 6 inches apart, it means on center (so 3 inches from the neighboring plants for a total of 6 inches) The seed companies really need to make this clear.
They called for 2 seeds every 3". I planted about 20 linear feet of them, and used way less than half of one packet in so doing. If kept refrigerated, there are enough seeds for several years to come.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gorgeous!! Absolutely gorgeous!! 😍💜😍

I have one daffodil bud; but my neighbors are in bloom. I also spotted some irises that didn’t get destroyed by the yard being torn up. My mother said she has more I can take from her yard too. And we are getting nice buds on the trees with some baby leaves on the privet hedge. So spring is inching along!
CEF184A2-FE11-4DCB-8729-383897B525AF.jpeg
CCC9C21A-934B-4599-B0AB-4CBE6238FE0D.jpeg
C07B2EAB-36E6-4FBD-97A0-4CB50DC02E4F.jpeg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far, our daffodils are only an inch or so high, the same as our tulips. It will be several weeks more before things really start to pop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
This is only a portion of our dwarf crocus.
Wow, so pretty!
I have one daffodil bud; but my neighbors are in bloom.
No daffodils here yet, but when I went horse riding yesterday I saw big clumps of them growing wild in the woods.

Most of the enclosure is still looking a bit dead and brown at the moment.
Garden283_R.jpg

But look! Crocus and grape hyacinth shoots are coming up.
Garden285_R.jpg
Garden282_R.jpg

I moved this little fir tree next to one of the cat trees last year. It seems to be doing pretty well.
Garden286_R.jpg

Three sad cats, wondering when the flowers and butterflies will come back.
Garden289_R.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mother Nature played a mean trick on us yesterday and dumped several inches of snow on top of my crocuses. It's going to be sunny and much warmer starting today, so hopefully the crocuses can hang on till the snow melts.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking like spring everyone!

I've been sanitizing my old soil, mixing in a little compost, and have half my pots ready for seeds. The weather warmed up again this week and will probably put seeds in the pots that are ready. If it drops into freezing weeks down the road, I can bring the pots in overnight.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mother Nature played a mean trick on us yesterday and dumped several inches of snow on top of my crocuses. It's going to be sunny and much warmer starting today, so hopefully the crocuses can hang on till the snow melts.
I don't know; crocus are tough little buggers. It is a shame that the blooms are gone after such a short time, though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know; crocus are tough little buggers. It is a shame that the blooms are gone after such a short time, though.
Most of them hadn't quite bloomed yet, so that might save them.

This is only a portion of our dwarf crocus. I had to crop the original picture a lot to be able to upload it. I had to leave about 80% of it out.
Check out the freeware: IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide
You can crop pics, but you can also just resize them, which makes them small enough to upload here.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the honey bees have discovered our crocus, and a bunch of them are busy at their work. Considering that it was in the 20s this morning, the temps have rebounded nicely. These are the first bees of the season that I've seen.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Bah, Lowe's was out of the 4x4 Cedar that I need to start building the raised bed...If work is slow enough this week I'll check back, but looks like we're going to get more rain too.

Status
Not open for further replies.