The 2019 Gardening Thread.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another storm last night, and now I am left with no delphiniums, as the wind took care of the blooms, snapping off the spikes. The only good thing is the chance for a re-bloom later this year- maybe.
I had the same thing happen with some of mine. Even the ones close to the house got over-weighted with water from all the rain and broke the flower stalk off! At least it was on it's last flower....
My biggest problem is having to protect my flowers and shrubs from the deer! They prevent me from having some of the flowers I had in Minnesota. I miss my Lillies and roses. I do have Day-lillies but, I have put fishing line as a perimeter to deter them. If they can't see it it freaks them when they feel it (or so I was told) so far it has worked. Deer even ate my Hostas! For years they didn't touch them but now, they seem to want to eat everything

And now I have twins! The shrub on the right is one they will not leave alone! That is until I dusted it with Sevin to deter the Japanese beetles.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same thing happen with some of mine. Even the ones close to the house got over-weighted with water from all the rain and broke the flower stalk off! At least it was on it's last flower....
My biggest problem is having to protect my flowers and shrubs from the deer! They prevent me from having some of the flowers I had in Minnesota. I miss my Lillies and roses. I do have Day-lillies but, I have put fishing line as a perimeter to deter them. If they can't see it it freaks them when they feel it (or so I was told) so far it has worked. Deer even ate my Hostas! For years they didn't touch them but now, they seem to want to eat everything

And now I have twins! The shrub on the right is one they will not leave alone! That is until I dusted it with Sevin to deter the Japanese beetles.
There is a guy who lives around the corner from me. Last year he had probably 30 or more tomato plants, and the deer ate them all, so he didn't grow any this year. We have a 6-foot privacy fence around our back yard, so we haven't had that problem- yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
the Japanese beetles
Which ones are known as Japanese beetles? There are hundreds of different beetles here, all of them Japanese.

:p

One kind, I don't know what they are called, do a fantastic job of cleaning up cat poop. I really appreciate those little guys.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Which ones are known as Japanese beetles? There are hundreds of different beetles here, all of them Japanese.

:p

One kind, I don't know what they are called, do a fantastic job of cleaning up cat poop. I really appreciate those little guys.
These bugs will destroy a rose and many other plants and shrubs. They attack several diff plants around my yard

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Oh, wow. Just gorgeous! Definitely my favourite. All your other pics are beautiful too.

foxxycat foxxycat : all your pics are also beautiful. It looks like you have a large property.

My gardens are a little behind you guys, but 2 more day lilies have started to bloom, and some Shasta Daisy's. One Rudbeckia is just about ready to bloom. The others don't get as much sun, so are slower. Some of my tiny hostas have flowers now too. I'll post some pics either tomorrow or Sunday
I don't have a large lot..probably 1/3 of an acre then the common land behind our place.
Yes the Deer have proven to be a nuisence this year. I have some deer netting to wrap around the tomato cages-just need to get out there and do it. I had sprinkled cayenne pepper on the leaves but it burned them so I rinsed it off. So far no more deer have come around. I never had deer eating my plants in the years of living here but we are urban compact in a way so probably why they don't roam this close but I did see one of the buggers down the dead end side Saturday morning before zooming off to the store for my morning Diet Coke fix. I pointed my finger at it- saying STAY OFF THE GRASS! not sure if it worked..lol.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And now I have twins!
I know they're a nuisance, and are the carriers of DEER ticks, but still ... awww.

Dung Beetle?

I don't have a large lot..probably 1/3 of an acre then the common land behind our place.
Bigger than a regular city lot, though. Right?

Here is the remains of one of the delphiniums after the last storm.
Oh, how horrible. :(

More blooms in my yard. Still gotta get pictures...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I picked a whole bunch of tomatoes today. They are maybe half ripe; but I figured that is better than letting the bugs get to them. It seems the damage is not just caterpillars; but stink bugs. I tossed as many tomatoes as I picked. I'm expecting rain but then I think I have neem oil on hand. Otherwise I read olive oil can work.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I picked a whole bunch of tomatoes today. They are maybe half ripe; but I figured that is better than letting the bugs get to them.
Definitely better than leaving them for the bugs. And once they have started to ripen, they'll finish inside. Putting them in a paper bag, or just on a window sill, can speed the ripening up.

Next year I need to try growing tomatoes in pots again. There's nothing like home grown tomatoes. :yummy:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
rubysmama rubysmama i guess it is..dont live in the city but in a community. Our yardsare larger than the new construction homes of only .18 acres. My particular lot is one of the largest ones. We just branched out in common land which was just getting overgrown anyways.

Yes the grubs are now hatched which are beetles. Neem oil will kill them. Any oil/soapy water mixture will keep them off. Oil suffocates the bugs if I remember correctly. Only have to spray at night so bees aren't active. I've pinched dozens of beetles off my petunias and marigolds. Got the neem oil but it was so hot I didnt want it to risk burning the leaves.

Last night and this morning we had a good steady rain so I will reapply the wondercide and spray neem oil on the plants. Them buggers gonna get snuffed out.

The rain is making things lean over but i don't mind. This morning was first time i didnt need to get up at 330am to go water.