The 2019 Gardening Thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Shame on me; I forgot to lock them in their coop at night
Poor chooks, I'm so sorry. :alright:

Watch out for those @#%&♤☆#!## ferns!
I love ferns! We get giant ones here. Anything that can survive our winters and come back every spring is alright by me

At least they found the front door of someone to take them in.
I was secretly happy. Yay, free kittens!

Some of our giant ferns.

Walk30.jpg

The tulips finally opened!
Garden184.jpg
Garden186.jpg

And the hosta is back.
Garden191.jpg

I stopped at a roadside farmers market the other day and got another hosta for $4 and a yamaboshi tree for $7.

I think yamaboshi is dogwood in English, is that right?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are supposed to get 2 to 3 inches tonight - hope they are wrong. I want to get the arborvitae planted today if we are going to get rain, but not sure that I will. I have been over doing in the yard and am now paying the price with joints aching. It could be the impending weather causing it too. How I wish I could spend 8-10 hours out in the yard like I used to. My gardens were gorgeous then! Spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We'd take it if we could. Flooding all over the Midwest, too. Reminds me of 1993 in the summer. Disaster.
Well, in the past there was a scheme to build a pipeline from the Great Lakes to the Southwest, until a law was passed forbidding such diversions. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to affix pontoons to my lawn mower.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in the past there was a scheme to build a pipeline from the Great Lakes to the Southwest, until a law was passed forbidding such diversions. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to affix pontoons to my lawn mower.
Yeah I was in Ohio at the time. Plenty of opportunities for governors to harrumph about something that was just a massive fantasy.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hope the rain goes somewhere else-we got plenty the other night! I never got a chance to repot the babies-it was only 52 degrees last night after work-I was freezing and couldn't get warm so crawled into bed under 2 blankets, read some and passed out around 7? The second night in a row I fell asleep early. Tonight I need to get going with this repotting so I can get the babies to the Flea market. Right now I am selling a ton of tomato plants at work-SO I may just skip the flea market and plant the remaining flowers. I have plenty of pots and have access to more but they are cheap black plastic ones. Wish dirt was cheaper than it is. I have a plan to plant the zinnias along the road along with my blazing Glories=these purple type stalk flowers. Those bloom in Late July/August.

Someone posted about cone flowers-those will spread if you let them but it's a slow spread. I have to look up those other ones you mentioned N NY cat man as I don't know those plants-I don't know the names-only recognize by the pictures-half of my plants were free or reduced prices at plant sales and I am horrible with names.

I just went to Walmart to get some sun screen and bought a tomato plant-it's yellow small plum tomatoes-never seen these before-so for 2.50 I will stick it in my patio box that I bought 2 weeks ago...that will be done this weekend and another trip buying dirt-I only have 1 bag left of dirt and want to be sure I have enough.

Yes it's hard work setting up the plants-the good news-once they are planted I just need to water them....

Norachan Norachan Love your plants! The Pansies are cute and love the tulips! Yes $4 for a Hosta is a good price! I still can't get over the prices they get at the garden centers! :running:

I will definately buy the baby plugs on ebay next year and do it earlier-but won't buy as many unless I buy a small greenhouse and set it up right by the kitchen window where no one can see it and complain about it. :bliss: I found this small propane heater that lasts a day so I could keep it at 50 degrees at night then during the day let the sun heat it up-I thought about covering the outside with tyvek material-so many ideas. :anticipation:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we just got back from the growers' and my wallet is considerably lighter now. We got 2 of the veronica, 3 of the kniphofia, 3 of the 'Coral Craze' coneflowers, and 2 amsonia 'Storm Cloud'. Grand total- $ 172USD. The good thing is that they are perennials, so it's not an every-year outlay.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope the rain goes somewhere else-we got plenty the other night! I never got a chance to repot the babies-it was only 52 degrees last night after work-I was freezing and couldn't get warm so crawled into bed under 2 blankets, read some and passed out around 7? The second night in a row I fell asleep early. Tonight I need to get going with this repotting so I can get the babies to the Flea market. Right now I am selling a ton of tomato plants at work-SO I may just skip the flea market and plant the remaining flowers. I have plenty of pots and have access to more but they are cheap black plastic ones. Wish dirt was cheaper than it is. I have a plan to plant the zinnias along the road along with my blazing Glories=these purple type stalk flowers. Those bloom in Late July/August.

Someone posted about cone flowers-those will spread if you let them but it's a slow spread. I have to look up those other ones you mentioned N NY cat man as I don't know those plants-I don't know the names-only recognize by the pictures-half of my plants were free or reduced prices at plant sales and I am horrible with names.

I just went to Walmart to get some sun screen and bought a tomato plant-it's yellow small plum tomatoes-never seen these before-so for 2.50 I will stick it in my patio box that I bought 2 weeks ago...that will be done this weekend and another trip buying dirt-I only have 1 bag left of dirt and want to be sure I have enough.

Yes it's hard work setting up the plants-the good news-once they are planted I just need to water them....

Norachan Norachan Love your plants! The Pansies are cute and love the tulips! Yes $4 for a Hosta is a good price! I still can't get over the prices they get at the garden centers! :running:

I will definately buy the baby plugs on ebay next year and do it earlier-but won't buy as many unless I buy a small greenhouse and set it up right by the kitchen window where no one can see it and complain about it. :bliss: I found this small propane heater that lasts a day so I could keep it at 50 degrees at night then during the day let the sun heat it up-I thought about covering the outside with tyvek material-so many ideas. :anticipation:
I'm not surprised that you didn't know those plants as they are new varieties this year. I only ran across them on the growers web site, otherwise I wouldn't know about them either.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still thinking about adding a hydrangea. I think this every year. Maybe this will be the year I go for it.
You sound like me. I also consider buying a hydrangea every year. Maybe this year for me too.

Well, we just got back from the growers' and my wallet is considerably lighter now. We got 2 of the veronica, 3 of the kniphofia, 3 of the 'Coral Craze' coneflowers, and 2 amsonia 'Storm Cloud'. Grand total- $ 172USD. The good thing is that they are perennials, so it's not an every-year outlay.
Sounds like a nice selection of perennials. Happy planting.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are good! I have three of them, they survive the winters and come back bigger and stronger every year. They love the monsoon too, they always flower in June.

Wow, are we going to see some pictures?
Yes, you will as soon as they develop. Right now there are no flowers on them, so please be patient.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, you will as soon as they develop. Right now there are no flowers on them, so please be patient.
I'll try.

:bouquet:

There's a lovely Japanese Haiku by Mishima which translates;

As long as you know that I am waiting
Take your time
Flowers of the spring.

Very apt for us gardeners.