thats not a toy!

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sooooo, Im hoping this is just a phase, but Jericho has started using his litter box as a toy. He jumps in and out, in and out, in and out, digs until he scratches the bottom...and still continues to dig. He runs around the apartment and then dives into it, he has also started, after I change his litter, sprawling out on his belly and stretching out in it.

His other new issue is his water bowl. He uses a plastic cup, which he has loved until the past couple weeks. Now all he wants to do is play with it, tip it over, kick it across the floor, etc. Ive tried a heavier bowl and a shallow tupperware dish and he does the same with both..is he trying to tell me he doesnt like his water? Or is he just being playful?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he's just being playful. My girlfriend's cat will knock a bunch of litter out of his box, then roll around on the spilled litter for a while. The water is also definitely just being playful. It's something big that makes a noise when he tips it over, it's probably as simple as that to him.

EDIT: oh, and EVERYTHING is a toy to a kitten. My chapstick tube, the random smudge on my wall, the wrist openings for my hoodies, everything.

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats Loki and Bast will lay in our dogs huge water dish because they find it fun, they love water and the pool. They also play in the litter when we change it out, but after its been used forget it

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hehehe gotta love kitties! My boy too loves to play in his litter, I think it is a bit of a comfort thing too. They know it is theirs, It smells like them. It makes noise and mess and is fun. Most will outgrow litter fun but some never do - just keep it super clean

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are just like that! I had one once who also played with his water so much that I got a big heavy ceramic water dish that he couldn't tip over. And I kept the water level very low so he wouldn't splash it all over. And I put it on a big plastic tray. That cat also would play with dripping faucets and jump in the bathtub with you if he could.

The litter thing is also just a kitten being playful, too. You can keep very little litter in the box - just barely cover the bottom. Then he can make less mess. You have to clean it out several times a day and add more liter, but it does help.

Robin

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

Kittens are just like that! I had one once who also played with his water so much that I got a big heavy ceramic water dish that he couldn't tip over. And I kept the water level very low so he wouldn't splash it all over. And I put it on a big plastic tray. That cat also would play with dripping faucets and jump in the bathtub with you if he could.

The litter thing is also just a kitten being playful, too. You can keep very little litter in the box - just barely cover the bottom. Then he can make less mess. You have to clean it out several times a day and add more liter, but it does help.

Robin
A heavy dish is a good idea, also giving him a cup of his own to play with is a fun idea that gives him his own new toy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

That cat also would play with dripping faucets and jump in the bathtub with you if he could.
Jericho does that as well. He sits outside our shower doors and cries and scratches until I let him jump in and sit on the ledge.

I will definately be getting a heavier dish for his water!
And I will share this with you guys since no one else really cares, but he finally figured out how to roll over on his back and thats all he wants to do now! I love it! It's the cutest thing EVER! All he does is wiggle around on his back and it cracks me up. So now he tries to find a way to do everything on his back lol..just thought I'd share haha.

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah i remember when my cat Joey was a kitten, he would lay down on his side in front of his water bowl, and dip his paw in it, then tip it over and get water all over himself, then lick the water off the floor.. He used to jump into the sink too whenever i had the water running, for some reason he just loved to play in the water..

Also when he was a kitten, he wouldent eat his food out of his bowl.. He would always tip it over, then eat it off the floor. He eventually grew out of that, but whenever i feed him, i fill his bowl, then take about 1/3 of it out and put it on the floor next to his bowl.. And he always eats the food off the floor first, he just likes it that way for some reason.. Thats how he gets "treats" too, he will go into the kitchen and lay down on the floor and squeak, so ill take a pinch of kibbles from his bowl and put it on the floor in front of him.. its really cute actually lol..

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably much to your disappointment, this is totally normal behavior!
Tumbleweed used to love to use the litter box to jump out and "attack" his toys. He'd also run like crazy and leap into the box. It was really, really important to scoop frequently!

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Probably much to your disappointment, this is totally normal behavior!
Tumbleweed used to love to use the litter box to jump out and "attack" his toys. He'd also run like crazy and leap into the box. It was really, really important to scoop frequently!
hahahahah yup my boy does that too! AND he drags toys in - and half burries them.
I do an hourly patrol to remove waste and toys. I hope he outgrows it but if not, I will deal with it.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Charlie isn't like that, my only problem is that he loves jumping on high places like cabinets and dividers. I can't remember how many times my dad's picture fell and the culprit is him! When he was younger he would climb on the curtains, he broke one the curtain that mom made.

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are having that problem as well, the climbing curtains and getting into cabinets, but he has also started to jump on top of our flatscreen that sits on a stand....he knows hes not allowed to do that because he will only do it if we go into the other room for awhile or as soon as we get into bed at night. I dont know how to stop him! Any suggestions?

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RiffxRaff

We are having that problem as well, the climbing curtains and getting into cabinets, but he has also started to jump on top of our flatscreen that sits on a stand....he knows hes not allowed to do that because he will only do it if we go into the other room for awhile or as soon as we get into bed at night. I dont know how to stop him! Any suggestions?
Spray bottle, works wonders

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yea we did that..he is fearless, he could care less if hes wet lol

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RiffxRaff

yea we did that..he is fearless, he could care less if hes wet lol
Don't use water, use a smelly substance, we used vinegar and the cats hated it, we never sprayed them with it, just right in front of their nose. They hated the smell so much they would stop and run away.